Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my glow plug working properly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Is my glow plug working properly?

I took out my glow plug today to have a check on it because my engine wasn't starting properly... anyway when i stuck it onto my igniter.. it didn't glow red but just made a sizzling like sound ?? ? ?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

well, it means that your running rich and that the gas is basicly submerging the plug in gas and it makes it cold so it wont light, you might want to get a new plug and try it out
Old 03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

what new plug should i get then? oh and what is running rich? is it my plug or just the fuel im using?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bosley
what new plug should i get then? oh and what is running rich? is it my plug or just the fuel im using?
Running rich is when theres too much fuel running to the engine. basicly your flooding it. Try turning either the high speed needel and or low speed needel clockwise to lean out the fuel mixture.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default glow plugs

if it was too rich it would sizzle and pop b ut would glow after a min it sounds like either a new glow plug or even easier ur batt dead in ur ignitor, try changing batt or recharging first on glow plugs every engine can take different ones and do different tasks, look inur book but an os #8 is a good all around. on fuel settings look at ur book it will have a starting point for ur high( this is the large screw needle off the carb)start a 1/4 further out and run the motor to warm temp them start to turn the needle at most 1/8 turn at a time till u hear engine come to life then just turn it out a little bit,make sure u dont lose that smoke trail, also u can get a temp gun and ur book will give u a recommended range, the low end needle is for that low end punch and is located in the center of the throttle arm that ur linkage hooks too. let the truck sit idling for 30 sec then pull full throttle if the truck dies or spits then goes usally rich turn just little in and try again, just remember no smoke motor goes boom, after a little while ur be a pro caus these settings change everytime u run
Old 03-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

um.. could you explain where can i find the high speed needle and low speed needle... Thanks! I am such a complete Newbie to Nitro
Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You need to do a search for a nitro tuning guide. Running your motor too rich or to lean can cause engine failure, here is a pic of the carb and the adjustment screws some carbs have an extra one that is not pictured. What kind of motor do you have?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default tuning

wow that is a good picture dragaddict that will help him which manual did u get that out of?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragaddict
You need to do a search for a nitro tuning guide. Running your motor too rich or to lean can cause engine failure, here is a pic of the carb and the adjustment screws some carbs have an extra one that is not pictured. What kind of motor do you have?

I think i've got a .28 thunder tiger engine or something. Not really sure as it was bought second hand from a sponsored racer..
Old 03-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default tuning

that motor should be like the picture ur seeing just remember when u turn those screws in that lets in less fuel more air and ur lube for ur motor is in that fuel so always make sure u got a smoke trail
Old 03-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sptrtrucker
that motor should be like the picture ur seeing just remember when u turn those screws in that lets in less fuel more air and ur lube for ur motor is in that fuel so always make sure u got a smoke trail
Whats a smoke trail? and should i still get a new plug?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

The pic is out of a manual for my LST. A smoke trail is the smoke you see coming out of the pipe as you are running. I would get a few extra glow plugs if I were you. Due to being new to this you may go through a few learning how to get it in tune.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

See if you can find out what kind of motor it is forsure. Is it in a buggy, truggy, ST... what kind of rc product is it. Most of the time you can download the manual for whatever car you have. If it is a thunder tiger you can download the manual at....http://acehobby.com/ace/manual.htm
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragaddict
See if you can find out what kind of motor it is forsure. Is it in a buggy, truggy, ST... what kind of rc product is it. Most of the time you can download the manual for whatever car you have. If it is a thunder tiger you can download the manual at....http://acehobby.com/ace/manual.htm
i found it.. it was the pro .28 engine .. oh and the engine is in a team magic m1-b buggy !! =P