Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Clutch Nut is, well...stuck >

Clutch Nut is, well...stuck

Clutch Nut is, well...stuck

Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Clutch Nut is, well...stuck

I apparently didn't get my clutch nut tight enough and the flywheel spins freely. Problem is, I can't get the clutch nut off as the locktite has it stuch on the shaft, which rotates keeping the nut from coming loose. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I had to this a few times. I took a pair of channel locks that were new and put a towel around the flywheel and grip real tight so it doesn't slip (don;t want mess it up) and use your wrench on the nut.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by paco62
I apparently didn't get my clutch nut tight enough and the flywheel spins freely. Problem is, I can't get the clutch nut off as the locktite has it stuch on the shaft, which rotates keeping the nut from coming loose. Any ideas?

Thanks.
what if you tried heating the stuck screw real fast with a propane torch or something, that might make the loctite melt and it come undone real easy.

one think ill mention is DO NOT strip the screw, theres NOTHING worse on a rc car than having a stripped screw or a strippes hex key... i had to learn the hard way, a few times. if you dont follow that advice, order new screws from tonys screws, hes the best.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

I have pliers with firm rubber handle covers that fit perfectly down the intake and the crank, this stops the crank from turning and does no damage whatsoever to the crank. DO NOT put bare steel down there though. I use this method all the time with many engines and it works a dream!!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5

one think ill mention is DO NOT strip the screw, theres NOTHING worse on a rc car than having a stripped screw or a strippes hex key...
It's not a screw, it's a nut.

Don't be put off with loctiting it when you put it back, it is a must.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Tech Adept

I tried heating the nut with a soldering iron, but that didn't work (maybe I didn't hold it long enough). I don't have anything to stick down the intake, but I've read there are tools for this. Frustrating...

I tried the channel locks, but I couldn't get enough room to get a wrench or needle nose down there and I didn't want to ruin the clutch or the nut.

Double
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

If it's super stuck i wouldn't use a tool to lock the piston, in fact if poss avoid putting anything in your engine at all times.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

I tried heating the nut with a soldering iron, but that didn't work (maybe I didn't hold it long enough). I don't have anything to stick down the intake, but I've read there are tools for this. Frustrating...

I tried the channel locks, but I couldn't get enough room to get a wrench or needle nose down there and I didn't want to ruin the clutch or the nut.

Double
....oh man, ya don't put wrenches or pliers down there. But if you can find something that is hard plastic or a handle with a rubber cover (like most pliers have!!) then it will work.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks so far for the advice.

Has anyone heard of filling the engine with after engine oil to "hydraulically" lock it?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry, After Run Oil.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Piston Locking Tool

There are two kinds, one for standard and another for turbo plugs. You always want to use channel locks or vise grips to lock down the flywheel to take off the clutch nut. However, sometimes you get the clutch loose enough to not hold the shaft and it creates the spinning problem which sounds like the issue you are having.

Be careful when using a piston locking tool. Slowly take off the clutch nut to avoid damage to your connecting rod.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is the piston locking tool I use when I run to a situation where the flywheel is loose and not gripping the shaft but with the clutch nut still stuck:

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....oducts_id=3771

I like it because it has both standard and turbo style threads.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Regular

Double
dont think a soldering gun will work, maybe even a lighter would work. not sure about that loctite, it shouldnt be that stuck... id get it off

you should be able to hold the flywheel with your hand and spin the flywheel nut with a socket wrench.

are those 3 bars for the clutch shoes in the way? i dont know if this is supposed to happen, but mint pull out of the flywheel, one is kinda easy to get out, the other 2 are a bit hard, but i know ive done it before. that should make things easier.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing
Piston Locking Tool

There are two kinds, one for standard and another for turbo plugs. You always want to use channel locks or vise grips to lock down the flywheel to take off the clutch nut. However, sometimes you get the clutch loose enough to not hold the shaft and it creates the spinning problem which sounds like the issue you are having.

Be careful when using a piston locking tool. Slowly take off the clutch nut to avoid damage to your connecting rod.

I forget which magazine had it as a tech tip, but they said you could use a popsicle stick to lock the piston. I'm sure the piston locking tool is the prefered method. But if you happen to have a popsicle lying around in the freezer
Old 03-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

a zip tie folded in half
insert it into the exhaust port and it should hold it...Use a good thick tie...

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.