R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default where to start

Well I have just decided to enter into the RC car scene, and have no idea where to start. My main objective was to buy a 3rd generation camaro z28 with a 350 small block, but thats not very smart of me to buy at 18 years of age. So until I am older, wiser, and insurance isn't sticking it in my butt with no lubrication, I figured why not go into the RC car scene. I always thought RC cars were cool, but never got into them. I figured now would be a good time because I could learn more about motors and how they work, but on a much smaller scale. Anyways, I am looking for a gas powered buggy. Something with crazy amounts of torque, but also will satisfy me when I open it up to top speeds. Something easy to work on, and wont spend all of my money. I don't know even where to start. I have heard of Traxxas, but from what I have heard they aren't a very good company. I would appreciate it if you guys could guide me in the right direction. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me.
$even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

well whats your price range for everything? do you have anything to start with or having to do a full purchase?
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
well whats your price range for everything? do you have anything to start with or having to do a full purchase?
my price range is up to, lets say around $800. I have to do a full purchase.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18901

get your batteries and charger then take the rest of the money and upgrade as you can.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

any other choices besides that one?
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default buggy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sportwerks-Turmo...QQcmdZViewItem

These are pretty good for the money. I've watched my son keep up with the more expensive buggies and those guys have more experiece. This is pretty good and you can up grade some of the parts as you go.

Rc10 Gt EDM
M&M Racing Klien Sprint Car
Losi Mini T
sheetmetal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetmetal2 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sportwerks-Turmo...QQcmdZViewItem

These are pretty good for the money. I've watched my son keep up with the more expensive buggies and those guys have more experiece. This is pretty good and you can up grade some of the parts as you go.
im liking that one. Its cheap so I can beat on it, and not be afraid to do mods to it. Plus it leaves me with a lot of extra money for upgrades. What would be some good upgrades for it? I was thinking like an exhaust.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Seven, don't jump in just yet. The Turmoil is a good car, but the Team Associated RC8 is a full blown race car. Remember, this hobby is like everything else, you get what you pay for. You need to do more research. I would go to a local track and talk to some of the drivers. See what they are running. Some of these same guys may be helping you later, so get a car that is popular at your track so you can get some set up tips later. With the kind of money your targeting, you should be able to get a pretty good car. Do some more research.

Last edited by petevette; 03-08-2008 at 10:11 PM.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevette View Post
Seven, don't jump in just yet. The Turmoil is a good car, but the Team Associated RC8 is a full blown race car. Remember, this hobby is like everything else, you get what you pay for. You need to do more research. I would go to a local track and talk to some of the drivers. See what they are running. Some of these same guys may be helping you later, so get a car that is popular at your track so you can get some set up tips later. With the kind of money your targeting, you should be able to get a pretty good car. Do some more research.
well I probably wont be racing the car, nor is there tracks around here. Why do I need a full blown race car for my first car? Isn't that like the rich girls getting BMWs and porches as their first car and then wrecking them? Im not trying to be mean or anything.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lol just a lil piece of advice from me, stay away from the turd gen camaros. They have at the best the TPI 350 in them and no matter how many high school students out there think there 1988 camaro Iroc z is something to cream over. Save a lil extra bank and get you a 4th gen with a real motor in it. I had a 95 LT1 z28 with about $400 invested in the motor running high 12 second quarter miles. Or better yet get an LS1 and be running high 11s for about $1000 worth of work on the motor.

Now as far as the RC thing goes. Your first starting out, deffinatly dont go over the top. If you jump head first in and buy an rc8 yeah you will have an awesome buggy that will be hard to break, but when you break it it is expensive as hell to fix. Not to mention, it just takes time messing with nitro engines to learn how to tune, run, and maintain them. If you jump in to deep you are likely to get frustrated with something, probably the tuning issues and just throw the whole rig in a closet and give up.

Kyosho 777 WC w/ big bores, RB S5, ACE 1313 s., Air 357 t., JP-3
HPI Savage X SS, Axial .28, Hitec 5645 Steering servo
Nitro TC3, O.S. .18 CV-R
Associated RC18T, Brushless, Lipo
wes95_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes95_z28 View Post
Lol just a lil piece of advice from me, stay away from the turd gen camaros. They have at the best the TPI 350 in them and no matter how many high school students out there think there 1988 camaro Iroc z is something to cream over. Save a lil extra bank and get you a 4th gen with a real motor in it. I had a 95 LT1 z28 with about $400 invested in the motor running high 12 second quarter miles. Or better yet get an LS1 and be running high 11s for about $1000 worth of work on the motor.

Now as far as the RC thing goes. Your first starting out, deffinatly dont go over the top. If you jump head first in and buy an rc8 yeah you will have an awesome buggy that will be hard to break, but when you break it it is expensive as hell to fix. Not to mention, it just takes time messing with nitro engines to learn how to tune, run, and maintain them. If you jump in to deep you are likely to get frustrated with something, probably the tuning issues and just throw the whole rig in a closet and give up.
haha yea, third gens are terrible all around. I just think the third gens look nice though. I think the fourth gens look too sedan-ish. It would take too much body work to make it look more like a muscle car. First and second gens are way too hard to find and third gens go for next to nothing.

anyways, yea thats why I kinda want to start cheap. If I get the hang of things, and really enjoy it then maybe I will move up.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by $even View Post
Well I have just decided to enter into the RC car scene, and have no idea where to start. My main objective was to buy a 3rd generation camaro z28 with a 350 small block, but thats not very smart of me to buy at 18 years of age. So until I am older, wiser, and insurance isn't sticking it in my butt with no lubrication, I figured why not go into the RC car scene. I always thought RC cars were cool, but never got into them. I figured now would be a good time because I could learn more about motors and how they work, but on a much smaller scale. Anyways, I am looking for a gas powered buggy. Something with crazy amounts of torque, but also will satisfy me when I open it up to top speeds. Something easy to work on, and wont spend all of my money. I don't know even where to start. I have heard of Traxxas, but from what I have heard they aren't a very good company. I would appreciate it if you guys could guide me in the right direction. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me.
Traxxas. A good brand from my veiw. 1st nitro I got was nitrorustler and have had few hassels. My advice, shop around and see whats out there and get what you can get parts for easly. ( There will be breakages!!!! ).
When you can you can always upgrade.
Good luck
bobbitrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Default traxxas?

I dont know who told u traxxas isn't a good company but they have been around along time and really stand behind there stuff, it has been about 7 years since I had one(the first t-maxx) but I see alot at the local track and in monster truck the t-maxx and revo do very well. the question is were are u gong to run if ur not going to see a track why a buggy, they dont have alot of clearance and are meant to realy be on a groomed track, if ur really stuck on a buugy style check out a truggy they are huge right now cause inbetween buggy and monster truck and losi makes a rtr 8ight -t, I just bought my wife one.I would look back at traxxas though they are a good company and they have this new waterproof t-maxx or revo not sure go to traxxas.com they have cool videos of there trucks, and if want to upgrade just look in mag and on-line at all the stuff u can get. I would love to have another buggy racer out there but I have seen alot of people come out with first rc cars as buggies and come to the races and get lapped race after race and not have fun, have the fun first and youll become a better driver then u might want jump to ahigher end racer.
Last please don't buy on-line a-main and the other ones don't build the tracks we have so much fun at, I am 1 1/2 hours from a hobby store and I have never ordered something new on-line,ebay fine. I don't know why everyone always says a-main look back at walmart and what they did to shopping and why to save a buck or 2. good luck
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Also check your LHS and see what brands they are dealers with, you don't want to buy something and always have to get parts off of the net. It is nice to be able to run down to the LHS and get little cheap parts that will stop you. I have done it before and will not do it again, nothing worse that not being able to run your rc because of a broken $2 part like a hinge pin or tie rod!
dragaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Seven, sorry I assumed you were going to race since many people on this forum race their cars. If your not going to race, then I definitely would not get a RC8. You should go for strength and parts availability as all out performance isn't that important for bashing around. I would get the cheapest car possible that has parts readily available. You will definitely break parts so make sure you can easily buy parts. Maybe the Traxxas would be a good fit.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote