R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Look at thunder tiger products. They take a beating and are relativlely cheap, but not junk like some cheaper buggies/truggies
Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

a truck might be a good idea. Im sure someday once I get the hang of things I would race a buggy, but I wouldn't want to go out right away and just cause mayhem on the track because I can't properly drive the thing. What would be a sweet truck to pick up?
$even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by $even View Post
well I probably wont be racing the car, nor is there tracks around here. Why do I need a full blown race car for my first car? Isn't that like the rich girls getting BMWs and porches as their first car and then wrecking them? Im not trying to be mean or anything.
trust me, dont get a cheap car, youre new (like i was), and probably an idiot with vehicles (like i am) so youll end up wrecking it so fast.

you said you were new, new people dont need almost top of the line stuff, right, they dont need it, but when theyre crashing it 3 times a mintue (like i was) it sure pays off in the long run to buy a good car and very rarely break a piece, much funner that way too.

i cheapped out and bought a junk 400$ himoto RTR buggy and that was the worst decision of my life. i barely got to drive it with so many broken/junk parts on it, so far its cost me damn near 1000$ to keep it going, shoulda bought a sweet one right off the bat!! i had to learn the hardway, i hope you dont either.

i bought a mugen mbx5 roller for 400$
a lrp .28 zspec engine (you want torque... GET A .28!!) for 225$
and a skeptrum dx 3.0 radio kie for 300$

total i spend on my car is about 1000$, with all the upgrades and spare tires parts etc.. its cost me about 1500$, but totally worth it, i love it!!

do yourself a favour and DO NOT buy a junk car, get something like this for a roller, then pick your own engine and electronics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mugen-mbx-5-mbx5...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mugen-MBX5r-Kit-...QQcmdZViewItem

or i would HIGHLY recommend keeping your eye on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-HYPER-7-PCR...QQcmdZViewItem

that comes with a decent engine, and everything you need to get going, for a very very good price. very good quality buggy. you wont go wrong getting something like that,

T Lawrence is a scamming scumbag

Tonys Screws l carolinasrc.com l spektrum (?)
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Default racing

I hope I didn;t make it sound like u had to be a pro to come out to race, 99% of us are basher that just get together for the fun. We just sold my wifes losi lst on ebay cause she is going to race truggy this year, but not every hobby store carry's parts for it. On the other hand don't think I have been in a hobby store that didn't carry parts for t-maxx and revo and if u wanted to come to a race pick up some lo-pro tires and u would run right with everyone else, but like I said check out traxxas.com and watch the video's they got a new t-maxx that is sealed up so if u hit some water u won't have to tear the truck down and clean and lube everything so stuff don't seize up
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

well I actually found a local track thats only a few miles from my house. Its an indoor one. The only problem is, is that its electric cars only. They have an "off road" course which contains no dirt. Its what looks to be a rubber mat with jumps made of wood. The other track is a circle track which is made of some special carpet. Kinda sucks that its electric only. I am going to stop in the shop tomorrow and check things out. Maybe I will like the electric scene once I get to know more about it.
$even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Electric off road is a good way to start. Dont be discouraged because it dont make noise. They run cleaner and with a good setup can be as fast as nitros $$$. I run a T4 with 16d or 27t stock, and have heaps of fun!
bobbitrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Default to die for

Man I kill for a banked carpet track we used have one and run 1/10 pan cars, and then we had a bolink sprint cars(were's my bolink)with 19t spec motors man that was fun they were $69 and like a tank.Ask the shop I bet there is a outdoor track close by but if there isn't think about electric,alot less clean-up don't have to learn tuning and with the li-po's and brushless motors they are fast and easy.I have a sb-v2 pro w/4.5 brushless and 5000li-po=40 min run time and it will keep up to my 1/8 buggy, plus it's alot funnier to have other people to run with
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote