R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default RB S5 or the OS VG .21

I what youre opinions for both. What pipe on both, long lasting or blowes up faster than a Jr high school boy looking at his daddy's magazines?

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Havne't owned either one, but the unanimous decision will be the S5.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

between those 2 no doubt RB S5. as far as pipe I am not sure I ran the c6. RB's website has all that info. I had a buddy that tried a Jp-1 and a Jp-2 and didnt like them at all on his S5 once he went with what RB says to run it ran much better with great mileage. HOWEVER, that was before the Jp-3, I have not seen but have heard that the Jp-3 makes the S5 scream. For the price it really is a pretty good engine
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default s5

I think the power, gas, and reliability is the s5. Now is your thinking Vspec, I would go with the spec... For me, it was what pipe I had to save money. Also the history for the "s" line motors has been pretty good. I had a VG and it was not too flawless...
Tmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Tech Master

The S5 is a better motor than the RG & it will out last the RG(or the V-spec for that matter). The pest pipe combo for power is the RB2020 & 192 header the best combo for fuel economy is the 2045 & 198.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a little experience with the RB(great motors, most people LOVE them), but I have allot more with the VG. It's proven to be a pretty darn good motor. Mine has almost 7 gallons through it, and still runs strong and efficient. When I put an aftermarket cooling head on it, people would walk up and ask "What the heck IS that?" I told them a VG, and they walked away in disbelief... I kept hearing, "No way is that a stock VG...." Yup, it is, and even though some say they ABL construction is a step backwards in reliability. It somehow survives to this day, running as quick as ever.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Default I used to run only os but.................

I just got back in to rc last year after being out for awhile and when I needed a motor for my buggie I bought the os .21 vg, all they had was the roto start, I bought it and ordered a back plate for it . I broke it in with 5 tanks keeping it cool and then tuned it in for a race that weekend, ran first heat ran great but the second heat just fell out of tune and brought it in the pits twice retuning it. Before main I ran it up to temp and tuned it in and shut it down ran my main and at first wasnt running good and was ready to bring it in when it was like someone flipped a switch and it took off. I battled back up and got back on the lead lap and with 4 min too go I caught a pipe and was stuck and the corner came over and grabbed my buggie and covered the pipe and u know what happened. My pit person ran over and tried to restart it and it wouldnt fire even after glow change after being lapped twice we just gave up. After the race we got it fired ran it hard for a couple checked the temp running at 265 ran a little longerthen came to stop let it idle for about 30 seconds pulled the trigger and it died and couldn't restart it, let it cool down and it restarted? sounds like to hot piston problem but we never let it over 280 and checked the fuel lines, head, and carb didn't find any problem. I went into the store at the track and looked at there shelf and they had the one with the back plate I bought it and talked to the owner he told me he heard not the greatest things about the motor, needing rebuilds after like 2-3 gallons and told me os is providing rebuilds for free for 1 year, I called os and told them my problems and they just sent me a new piston and sleeve and said I could still have the warranty. I broke the other one in and the next weekend was the last race of the season and ran it and didn't have a problem and in the tight parts of the track had great power but down the str other buggies would pull away, I ran it with the stock pipe from Losi and know if I shimmed it and tried different pipes I could get it better. That one ran fine and continues too.
I just ordered a new buggie, radio, and have decided to try a different motor after hearing about and reading the write up in xtreme rc about the sirio s21 cl7b, this one sounds nice. The first motor I just sold on ebay for $50 w/back plate and new piston and sleeve, I don't know if it was just a bad motor but I wasn't happy with it. The second one I'm going to keep as a backup. rb s5 heard good things but dont know the os, didnt have good luck with it and have heard people call it a bucket motor while some people say they like it.
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Tech Champion

One of the reasons motors will get a bad rap, is if they are targeted at new comers. This means they're allot more likely to be poorly tuned, and that leads to all the problems you described. It could've also been as simple as an air leak. I've seen experienced people fight $300 motors and still not get the performance they were looking for. I feel like the typical person buying a VG is looking for something easy to deal with, and for the most part it is. But if you have an air leak, or run it lean a few times, it will run like crap, just like any other motor.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
One of the reasons motors will get a bad rap, is if they are targeted at new comers. This means they're allot more likely to be poorly tuned, and that leads to all the problems you described. It could've also been as simple as an air leak. I've seen experienced people fight $300 motors and still not get the performance they were looking for. I feel like the typical person buying a VG is looking for something easy to deal with, and for the most part it is. But if you have an air leak, or run it lean a few times, it will run like crap, just like any other motor.
This is one of the best posts I have seen on here. I raced electric for 14 years. I am a competitive top driver in my region. Switched to nitro which I had never ran. Driving was the easy part. tuning the engine was the hard part. my first engine was an os vspec. it actually treated me pretty good. I ran it a whole season and hardly had to touch the needles. 2nd season it was doing this crazy thing I had never seen happen. so i threw it to the side and bought a Novarossi plus 21-5. didnt want the vspec cause I had heard of problems with bearings, even though I didnt have a problem. I go to a cash race out on the Kansas/ Colorado border. 300 to win if I remember right. I had my Novarossi all broke in and ready to rock. I tqed all 4 rounds on saturday but this motor was having the same issues as my other one. I could not figure it out. My buddies kept saying Mike it is in your head the car is fast. I was having no part of that. I wanted more punch. (as close to mod buggy as I could get it) needless to say I got that thing so messed up that I didnt even get to run the main. How stupid is that. so I put that motor to the side and bought a RB C6BB. broke it in and went to my regional race. lucky for me it was not qual points. I only finished 1 qual and actually flamed out right at the finish, rolled to the line.lol still good enough for 4th qualifier. didnt finish the main. The point of my long rambling story is this. I kept blaming engines. I was not a new racer actually a fairly decent racer, but a horrible tuner. all my buddies (also electric guys) were in the same boat as myself. I realized at that point HEY DUMMY YOUR TO LEAN... The problem with my vspec was I was lean bogging. the problem with my novarossi was the exact same thing. it felt like the slipper on a electric buggy, it felt like it was slipping for the first 10 foot or so then it would hit, clutch was fine. went through several. finally on the 3rd very expensive motor I figured it out. I lost my butt on those engines. the c6 I had great luck with after I realized it was me. To this day I am scared of the other brands, Even though I know that 99% chance it was all me. For the record I ran my vspec 3 or 4 gallons, ran that novarossi 1.5 gallons, then got good life out of the c6. anyways I wish you luck with whichever you choose.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Default os

i agree it did act as though it had an air leak and that is why we changed the fuel lines, carb o-ring, rear oring, checked the head and none of it helped. I don't know if u read the whole story but I bought another one that same day and that one runs fine to this day, but between those motors the vg will not compare in rpm and that is proven in dyno tests, now if u want u could grind a turbo scoop in the crank open up the intake and exhaust ports and u could get better performance. I don't know if u think i am bashing os but i'm not it was just my experience.
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Oh I read the whole post, and understood. I hope you don't think I'm trying to say the VG is as powerful as the RB, I'm not. I am saying the VG gets a bad rap from several people, based on inexperienced people reporting poor performance and failures. It's a very good performer, with the right pipe, fuel, plug, gearing, and tune. As I said, several other racers asked me what I had, and were stunned to learn its a lowly VG. It sounds like you had it pretty well sealed up, but you could've had the tune wrong. Best thing to do is return it to factory settings, and go from there. I had an LSK get so far out it wouldn't run. I was messing with the mid range to try and move the power band. I got it to move, but it went too far. After I returned the settings to factory, it ran fine again.

Nitro engines seem to be like women, treat them right and they'll take care of you. Experiment too much and put a weird tune on them, and hell hath no fury!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

My son runs the VG in his SP2, it is an awesome engine!

We have about 2 gallons on it and it has never given any trouble. In fact he rarely if ever gets pulled on the straights and qualified 8th in a field of about 70 buggies last Florida state series race. That was after it sat in the cabinet for 5 months without being ran at all. !

Our next engine will likely be a NovaRossi, but only because he is ready to step up in power(Obviously) but not ready for a V-Spec. We will wait until this one at least coughs before a new piston and sleeve then back up duty, .

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote