R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Default Houston

Thanks for the thumbs up, your insight is appreciated! You are right on point, I probably could go with something cheaper but I was hoping to be that "blank hole" at the track who bank rolls himself into the amain...lol I've been running the stock rtr motor and find myself constanly feeling underpowered before big doubles w/ short take offs...etc. I'm looking forward to some serious low-end snap! (I hope?)

Last edited by velineonracer; 03-09-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo
velineonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Stick with the P5 series and RB versions of it and you will be golden. Great engine line.

Not sure what a competitive price is for it though?

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

New can of worms...

Modified engines, don't bother.

Would you take a top of the line Ferrari engine and have it rearranged? Nova and RB are about as top of the line Italian engines as you will find, the RC equivelents. Don't wast your money, buy some clutches instead

You will get all sorts of comments following this, but before you go for a modded engine have a chat with a few pro's and see what they say.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'd be interested in hearing more about modding. Ultimately, I'm not concerned as much about power gains as I am about fuel mileage and reliable idle. I recently picked up a Plus 5K/9901 pipe for a song TIA
Also, thoughts on aftermarket heads...1) I have heard and can see that the stock head looks a little fragile...2) It would'nt fit well with my paint, lol.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
if you are not a great tuner i would reccomend getting rid of the turbo head button my three fav plugs are novarossi 6 , odonnel 77 , mccoy mc8 . if you dont want to get rid of the turbo button try a odonnel 77t or novarossi c6tg or tgf plugs .
monty

which engine do you have ? plus21-5t or a plus 21-5kt ??
Hi Houston,
I have a plus 21 5t, Dont know the difference with the 5kt, was told it was a on road crank case ??
Thinking of running it in soon i have some new 6 nova turbo plugs that i was told are good for it.
Thanks for your advice..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

NitroOB4you, The best fuel mileage comes from unmodified engines, since modifications increase air flow, or both air and fuel flow, consumption goes up. There is one exception, that is if you mod an engine with the intention of only increasing how free the rotating parts are, or how much they weigh, how well they are balanced, etc.

Air/fuel flow restriction is the only way to increase fuel mileage, since an engine that takes in less air, will use less fuel. Install the smallest restrictor you can find and retune the needle settings. You will find you will need a much leaner top end, which equals more mileage.

Then run lower oil content fuel, which means more fuel per cc, since it is not displaced by oil. You can go down as low as 8% oil, like the pros, but this means shorter engine life. Not spinning the engine as hard will help, but most of the wear and tear is from free revving and cold starts, so oil content is important if you want long engine life.

I would not recommend anything lower then 10-12% oil for most experienced tuners. If you have little tuning experience, stay in the 14% + range and stick with restrictors only for a while and get the tuning down pat first.

Hope this helps!

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Intriguing. FWIW, I'm pretty sure I'll be running either BT HP8 or Byron's Gen 2, 30%, as these are regularly stocked at my track. I've heard that BT Race blend has a high oil content, don't know about HP8. I also believe I've read somewhere that Gen 2 = 9%. I've been racing for 3 yrs, and while I'm no guru, I am comfortable with tuning. I also have some very accomplished racers who can/will help out if I need. Thx...next?
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroOB4You View Post
Intriguing. FWIW, I'm pretty sure I'll be running either BT HP8 or Byron's Gen 2, 30%, as these are regularly stocked at my track. I've heard that BT Race blend has a high oil content, don't know about HP8. I also believe I've read somewhere that Gen 2 = 9%. I've been racing for 3 yrs, and while I'm no guru, I am comfortable with tuning. I also have some very accomplished racers who can/will help out if I need. Thx...next?
The Byron's Gen 2 30% states 11% oil on the bottle label.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #24
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

pro racer blend is 30% nitro / 9% castor
race blend is 11% castor
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
pro racer blend is 30% nitro / 9% castor
race blend is 11% castor
From Byron's site. I like this quote.

"The new Gen2 lubrication package offers such an improvement in protection that with the introduction of the Gen2 line, we also made the lower oil content ProDriver blends available to all our dealers. Care should still be taken in tuning with the ProDriver Fuels. After finding your maximum power needle valve setting, always richen the engine from that setting to prevent overly lean runs."
Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tonyy

21-5k
www.EBmods.com
www.integy.com
www.motorsaver.com
www.arcshobbies.com
www.paintmonsterairbrushing.com
tonyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

i still prefer the race3000 with 11% castor and the old lube package = longer engine life and runs beautifully
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
ALG
Tech Regular

I would also try 20% nitro, this will make your engine last longer and help with mileage.

With less nitro you will have more top end and lose bottom (you gain somewere to loss somewere), but with the new engines we can sacrifice a liitle bottom because they are MOSTERS.

Houston is correct with the plug choice, but I would stay with NR plugs.

The trick part of Turbo plugs is that the tunning takes time and that the tune ia afected with the climate changes.

I would try the turbo plug on the Plus 21-5KT but with 7mm restrictor, I think you should get good minutes form one tank. us plug #6

Regarding fuels, I think that the mayor brand fuels are very good and depends on what you like, I use MAXY`s Fuel, and they are getting better each day, Now you get a clear formula, this fuel is GREAT and used by mayor drivers, have a try of it!!!!

Hope this help and keep tunning
ALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

21-5K (or KT if u want turbo plugs) for a buggy, Plus2 367 for a truggy.
AndyItalia68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

Default novarossi

The novarossi .21BF is also a sweet mill and at a-main for $179.00 it's a deal.I have one modded by Dadder's and she really screams.I don't race only against my buddy's so fuel consumption is no big deal to me.BURN NITRO BURN
vgsteel is offline   Reply With Quote