Search

Oh, this is soooo newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oh, this is soooo newbie

I am a little embarrassed to ask this, but here goes:

How the heck do you install an exhaust pipe? I am putting together my first nitro engine (O.S. .21 VG-P) and purchases a Jammin' JP-4. I opened it up and there a bunch of springs, a hex-wrench type spring and the rubber grommets, but no instructions! I know generally how they go together and can figure out the rubber grommet part, but what are the springs for? No instructions and nothing on Ofna's website? I couldn't find anything online, is this supposed to be instinctual or am I just that stupid?

Thanks for the help and I don't mind the laughs...
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Dont be worried about it....Thats we are here for....

The springs(small ones) are for attaching the manifold(part that hooks to engine) to the sliencer(fat part) there are 3 holes that the springs fit into on each part. The long spring wraps around the motor and attches to the manifold,again small holes. The hex wrench is for the small set screw that hooks to the pipe mount in the front of the sliencer.

Good uck and ask for more help when you need it!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

lol no problem buddy. We were all new at some point. First take one of the rubber gromets and install it on the chamber part of the pipe with the flange seating against the flange on the pipe. Then join the 2 pieces together and line up the 3 small holes that are on each flange. Then locate the 3 small springs and bridge the gap between the header and pipe. Then take the second gromet and install it on the motor and attach the pipe and use the long springs to secure the pipe by wrapping them around the case below the cooling head. Make sure those springs are as straight as possible in relation to the header to make sure you have a good seal on the exhaust flange. Thats about it dude. Good Luck
Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Her is a picture of one of my older cars with the exhaust.

http://www.users.on.net/~danzig/Picture%20064.jpg

The rubber grommet goes on the back of the engine exhaust on the block.
Then you put the exhaust manifold over that, the U Shaped part.
You wrap the long spring around your engine and hook it into the holes on the exhaust manifold.

Then put a gromet on the end of the muffler over the ribbed bit.
Then push that into the manifold you just fitted to the engine.
Then you put the 3 little springs on the exhaust where the muffler meets the manifold.

The front of the muffler on the front side of your car has a hole which fits over the muffler mounting wire which holds it in place, the hex tool fits into an allen key on the front of the muffler which tigthens up against the mounting wire and locks it in place. I would reccomend you use loctite on it so it does not come loose.

In the picture i have, i put a button head screw in that hole as you can see but a Grub screw is fine.

Hope this helps, the picture shows you pretty well anyway.

PS: make sure when you mount the front mount "Wire" that it is adjusted enough that it does not allow the muffler to rub on your fuel tank or it will burn a hole it your tank.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Haha. Thanks for the help and Support!

I got the three small springs. Any tips on getting the long spring around the engine without shooting it through your eye and into your brain?

Also, the set screw doesn't seem to want to go into the front of the silencer part of the pipe. It appears there is no threading (actually, the same with the screw and set screw on the pipe mount from the kit- Losi 8ight-T RR) and I am having a bear of a time getting it started. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody have tips on the pipe mount from Losi? I put a flashlight on it and there doesn't appear to be any threading inside the mount and neither the screw or the set screw will thread.

Has anybody ever had this happen to them?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

chris c
PowerHouse
GenReaper

My hat goes off to you for your efforts... Its people like you that make this hobby great... Back in the day I loved my "Honda Nation" and on some of the Honda boards you were affraid of being flamed for asking a question that might of been asked 6 months ago..... The first thing people would say is... "Did you use the search function"?... Talk about looking for post counts..

Excellent work guys...........
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paco62
Haha. Thanks for the help and Support!

I got the three small springs. Any tips on getting the long spring around the engine without shooting it through your eye and into your brain?

Also, the set screw doesn't seem to want to go into the front of the silencer part of the pipe. It appears there is no threading (actually, the same with the screw and set screw on the pipe mount from the kit- Losi 8ight-T RR) and I am having a bear of a time getting it started. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.
the long spring i install using needle nose visegrips. there are other ways like making a tab out of a breadtie and more but the needle nose pliers with a strong gripping hand or the visegrips are the way i use the most..

If there is no threading in there i am sure that if you went to the local hobby shop you can purchase a thread tap for like 3 bucks or so, and if it is a good LHS then they would be willing to thread it for you. the job literally takes like 2 minutes
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Ians Top Tip:

You can get sets of picks in Hardware stores (Mine came from Lowes), basically pointy bits of metal with handles. Use the straight one for digging dirt out of screw heads at the track and the hook one for attaching exhaust springs. Honestly it makes it a 1 second job, i always bend springs and end up getting frustrated with using needle nose pliers. For like, $5 you can save a bunch of hassle and get another tool that will save you hassle.

This is an example:

http://qualitytoolsforless.com/Produ...?ProductID=164

You can use the other two for randomly stabbing your finger when reaching into your tool box.

Don't feel embaressed, if you still do mybe this will make you feel better.

My first car i bolted together with a new engine etc... it was a used car etc and i didn't actually have the instructions but i had a very helpful guy on the phone. I jumped right in and hooked up the clutch, fired up the engine then wondered why the wheels always spun.

Turns out i had hooked the springs up to force the clutch shoes out rather than hold them in together. I just didn't think it through. It was only when i was talking to someone and they went back to basics and used the words "Centrifugal Clutch" that i realised what i had done.

I have never told anyone this before. Feel free to snigger...
Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mpowerz
chris c
PowerHouse
GenReaper

My hat goes off to you for your efforts... Its people like you that make this hobby great... Back in the day I loved my "Honda Nation" and on some of the Honda boards you were affraid of being flamed for asking a question that might of been asked 6 months ago..... The first thing people would say is... "Did you use the search function"?... Talk about looking for post counts..

Excellent work guys...........
I agree. I think I am thorough in searching threads for a topic before asking questions, but inevitably you will miss something...or have to ask something that you feel is so basic people will just flame you. EVERYONE that has responded has been extremely helpful and I thank you guys and hope some other noob finds this and feels better about their table full of parts.

IanWright - thanks for sharing the story, it does make me feel better, but I would only snicker because I've put so many things together like that, that I can completely relate. I can think of a couple on this build alone...

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the vibe and help!