R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default Losi Lipo Rx Pack

Picked up the losi RX pack and Losi regulator with switch at my local hobby shop . My only question is what are you guys using to balance charge the pack or is it not necessary. I have a super brain 977 which will charge it but I would like to be safe and balance charge it to keep good life to the pack. Is there anything I can do for under 100 bucks?
xrayrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Something like this:

http://www.vampowerpro.com/store/pid_107.htm

With it you can:

* See if all cells are above 3.2 volts before charging.
* Balance your pack while you are charging.
* Balance your pack after you are finished charging.
* Discharge individual cells that are over charged.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=THP205

This is a Thunder Power balancer and your Losi RX pack should plug right into it without any conversion plugs.
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Losi makes exactly what you are looking for now.

http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB9607

$35
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Something like this:

http://www.vampowerpro.com/store/pid_107.htm

With it you can:

* See if all cells are above 3.2 volts before charging.
* Balance your pack while you are charging.
* Balance your pack after you are finished charging.
* Discharge individual cells that are over charged.
You need the thunder power adapter also. Pins are too small for the blinky only. Its only $3 I think.
The losi charger only charges to 90%. The thunder power balancer costs more than all listed.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

would the eflite charger that comes with the eflite helicopters work?? I think that it should.
huskerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i balance mine with a team orion SBS and charge it with a avionics flight charger with no issues so far.
nitroveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
would the eflite charger that comes with the eflite helicopters work?? I think that it should.
I'm thinking that the charge rate is too low for the Eflite charger. It's more of a trickle charger. Those 700Mah batteries that come with the CX2 take almost two hours to charge back up. You would be waiting for like 12 hours to charge your RX pack, depending on the Mah of the pack.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I know zilch about lipos, ive just started running one in my radio, ive only been charging it with my swallow charger that sets the correct amps to charge at once you tell it its capacity, what is the deal with this balancing stuff? does my swallow do it automatically or do i need something else? and do i really need to balance my lipos? and why do i need to balance a lipo if its a necessary proceedure? Im thinking of running the losi lipo aswell just wanna know if i have the correct equipment for servicing them.
FrankBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #10
Tech Elite

If you need a good decent charger, run a Triton electricfly or Triton 2. It does Lipo, Nicad, NiMh, and PB batteries. Its limited to 2.5a on lipo unless you get the Triton 2. You find these for about $50 up used in the for sale forums. You still need a balancer, so use the Astro Blinky on the balance port while charging.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBlack View Post
I know zilch about lipos, ive just started running one in my radio, ive only been charging it with my swallow charger that sets the correct amps to charge at once you tell it its capacity, what is the deal with this balancing stuff? does my swallow do it automatically or do i need something else? and do i really need to balance my lipos? and why do i need to balance a lipo if its a necessary proceedure? Im thinking of running the losi lipo aswell just wanna know if i have the correct equipment for servicing them.
Balancing keeps the cell voltages withing correct levels. If one cell is higher than the other and you charge it normally without balancing it, you could overcharge a cell. This is a very big fire hazard. Just look up Lipo fire on google and you'll see.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to dgraham225

im new to this lipo stuff also, so how does the astro blinky work? i looked it up and see like 10 pins on the end of it, how would you wire a lead to balance the cells? i run team helotes lipo rx packs, i guess i need to start doing this, lol!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraham225 View Post
im new to this lipo stuff also, so how does the astro blinky work? i looked it up and see like 10 pins on the end of it, how would you wire a lead to balance the cells? i run team helotes lipo rx packs, i guess i need to start doing this, lol!
If you look at the hyperlink posted of the Blinky, it has a neg and pos side. What you do is align the Astro Blinky's neg side with the common negative of the Lipo on the balancing port. Most will have a black wire on the balance connector. Check it with a volt meter. Place the neg of the volt meter to the neg or wire you think is the neg (should be one of the wires at the outer end of the connector), and the positive lead of the meter to the other wires on the connector. If polarity is correct, then you should be reading all cells above 3.0v positive when connected to the common ground and each other wire on the balance port. If the readings are negative, you have the wrong ground terminal. I will post a picture later with one connected.

As for balancing, just connect the Blinky to the balance port. If all the cells are above 3.2V I believe, the led for each cell will light up, then go out. If you jst leave it connected, and the cells are above voltage of uneven, the light will start to flash. This is the balancing. Its discharging all the cells that are above the lowest cell to make them even.
When charging, it will do the same, but it will also discharge cells that are going above safe voltage till the lowest cell is charged to the correct level. Generally, once you balance it, you'll ntice they stay balanced for a few charges without the Blinky, but I stll use it every time I charge.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Tech Adept

This is what I use. Charges 1-4 cell individually..So balance charges..I use it for TX/RX Starter box battery etc...

http://www.ballisticbatteries.com/St...ShowLarge=True
Evil Klownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Default the best lipo charger I have found

I found this charger on ebay last year and have been using it for charging my max amp 5000 pack, my receiver pack in my buggy, my glow igniter, and I have charged my kids ni-mh packs to help outduring races. It comes with all the leads to charge everything, and the leads to plug in for balancing, the charger is about 4x5" and 1" thick, it used to come with a power suppy but I see now it is only dc so u would have to pick up a small power supply if u dont have one.The discharge rate is kind of low but dont need that for li-po's anyway, and the really cool thing u can hook this to ur computer and set-up 10 different batt in the memory to charge each diferent, it also comes with a book that tells all about li-po's and how to charge balance and care for them, I have been in rc since 1988 and I have owned many chargers even paying $350 for the turbo 35 so I could match cells, well this little thing does that too and u can print the results right out on ur computer.I'm telling u buy one and if u don't like it contact me and I'll buy it from u cause I need another for my daughter,I would put a link on here for u but dont know how too but just go on ebay and the guys ebay store is r/c-ypin and the name of it is rc-power bc6 lipo balance digital charger 601bc, when I bought mine it was 59 now I see he sells them for 79 but still a deal if u look at the numbers and look at an Ice $150 plus u have to build all the leads? Here is the data on it check it out
charges- li-ion/polmer/life batt 1-6 series
ni-mh/ni-cd batt 1-15 cells
lead acid(pb) 2-20v
charge/discharge cycle 1-5
charging rate .1-5 amps
discharge rate .1-1 amp
10 model-batt memory

Did I also say I charge my starter box gell cell?
sptrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote