R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Nik
Tech Regular
 
Nik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

no, I have not owned the OCM nor the mugen, but I have seen both. and they look similar, so I assume they handle similar also. You OCM guys are nitpicking and telling me the parts that are different... but how many parts are similar? not trying to make a argument here, Im sure the OCM handles great, and even if it is like a mugen that is not a bad thing !!
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Tech Master
 
skeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Odenville, Alabama
Posts: 1,272
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losiracer22 View Post
straight from alan burton......like the topic states, he wanted "thoughts on the buggy, and that is what i gave him. So don't start a stupid argument on the internet. His topic didn't state lets argue about what car is the best.....
Hey dude, I'm not starting a stupid argument. I also gave my thoughts and opinions on the buggy.....and have not/will not come on and bash other buggies. It just seems that there are alot of people who want to say that the OCM is copy of some other buggy when they've never built one....and most of them haven't even seen one up close. Just because it has pillow balls in the front don't mean it's a Mugen.

Relax...I'm not attacking anybody. Just wanted the facts to be stated for the man to read.
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
skeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Odenville, Alabama
Posts: 1,272
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
no, I have not owned the OCM nor the mugen, but I have seen both. and they look similar, so I assume they handle similar also. You OCM guys are nitpicking and telling me the parts that are different... but how many parts are similar? not trying to make a argument here, Im sure the OCM handles great, and even if it is like a mugen that is not a bad thing !!
Glad your back Nik.


The arms are interchangeable...but the Mugens are about 2-3 mm longer. They will take away from the steering on our buggy. Center diff mounts prolly will too...don't know for sure. Rear uprights will fit, but I think ours have a slight offset to them. I need to check that.
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #19
Tech Master
 
skeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Odenville, Alabama
Posts: 1,272
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller
Default

The truth is that the buggy more resembles an X-Ray than anything....but the geometry of the OCM is still different than the Ray. They all are really good rides...all have their pros and cons....all have their own issues.
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #20
Tech Elite
 
rallyebmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,863
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Is the OCM still dominating? Just curious
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,080
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeller View Post
The truth is that the buggy more resembles an X-Ray than anything....but the geometry of the OCM is still different than the Ray. They all are really good rides...all have their pros and cons....all have their own issues.
Yeah, it's something like Xray meets Mugen. As for the instruction booklet.....the similiarities are astonishing!
__________________
FM 75.710
razor_clawzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #22
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 355
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

The reality of all of it is everyone copies the good stuff off of everyone else. The new Xray 808 is being called a Losi. Well the losi has been good, so they chose to take points off of it, then also add their own twists. I have heard the OCM and the Caster car both resemble the Mugen Mbx5 more so that the 5R. but hey I have no idea. They probably do have some things that are almost identical to the others. You look at the Zcar Degani ran at the NC, its shock geometry looked really close to the RC8. I never understood why people get so bent out of shape over who copied who. It really is a good thing for us the consumers. Chances are they copied the good things and hopefully if they were successful they made the bad things better. Im not saying the OCM is great nor bad, Really dont know. Just wanted to comment on the copy thing. I have been around for quite awhile but just got into Nitro a few years ago, but back when AE came out with the RC10B2 I remember everyone saying they were selling out and copying the Losi, Just because they went with a plastic chassis instead of the old alum. tubs..LOL One last point to my copy rant, SUPER BIG BORE SHOCKS, pretty soon that will be the standard, so thank you losi. all of us will reap the benefits by having a car that handles rough tracks better. P.S. yes I know not ALL cars have them but I would bet within the next year or 2 they will. (AE) (hyper)
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:54 AM   #23
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,685
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Hey Mike,
Great to hear from ya! Yeah I agree with ya on your point about copying parts, and YES; SUPER big bore shocks one day will reign supreme... Me and Cool both bought a set for our Caster ZX-1R's and they are gigantic! Cant wait to hit the track for some testing! Personally I am copying... I ordered some MBX5 parts for my ZX-1R cause the Caster plastic is just really cheap feeling and cool busted a buncha stuff really easily in Hutch last friday night! So if a guy puts better stuff on his car and makes it better.. Why not?

My $0.02...

:nod :
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #24
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,509
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeller View Post
Cain, the motor mount bolt layout should be the same. All engine mounts that I know of will fit.
Thanks for the info. I will have to get around an OCM Buggy again and see how the mount fits to it. Should be interesting to see.

I have seen and held the OCM Buggy in hands, and seen another racer drive his and I thought it looked very good. Only part that he broke that I think should be looked at for possible beefing up was the front upright part that the ball stud threads into before the linkage attaches. It seemed like it needed just a tad more beef there.

But other than that, I was very impressed with how the vehicle looked and handled.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 4,835
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

cain,

of course I work for OCM but here is a few facts for you:

1. The buggy in its current form is just as solid as anything out there. Nothing over occuring that breaks. Anyone who had ALOT of issues most likely got a first gen kit, or is not familiar with nitro. This you will see if you ask questions in the OCM thread we already have.

2. the roll centers, weight, steering geo, ackerman position on the OCM is much different than that of a mugen. Is mugen a great car? for sure...I think its the most well rounded car on the market. But we made changes that we felt would benefit the car. It also has up/down travel like the mugen r car and much more than the reg mbx5.
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #26
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 4,835
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

The electric conversions should also work for you as well....
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #27
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,509
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the response ABURTON. I really like the looks of the buggy, the machining on it is really something. The driver I saw with it had a it mated to a Go-Tech engine and it looked very good out there, took a beating too.

Think I am set for my question now guys, appreciate your responses.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
Tech Master
 
skeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Odenville, Alabama
Posts: 1,272
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABURTON View Post
The electric conversions should also work for you as well....
No problem dude...that's what we're here for.
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #29
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 28,509
Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)
Default

May get around an OCM Buggy this weekend and test fit the mount and tray. Will be interesting to see if it all bolts up.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno SCT410.3 x 2 |HB Racing D413 x 2 | Tekno EB48SL x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 65
Default

I'm running the mbx5r one piece mount on my buggy works good.

Last edited by mad316; 03-04-2008 at 04:07 PM.
mad316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap buggy, your thoughts? Arty_Harvy Nitro Off-Road 5 09-03-2008 09:48 AM
CasterRacing- ZX-1 Pro Buggy(what are your thoughts?) DaRaceMasta Electric Off-Road 20 04-03-2008 07:55 AM
LIKE NEW Losi 8ight Buggy (KIT/Pro Version) FS Px3 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 08-24-2007 06:32 PM
TAMIYA's TRF 501X BUGGY-your thoughts- J.M. Australian Racing 1 05-07-2007 12:42 AM
APS 3 in 1 dyno charge, Older version vs Newer version Marc_05 Australian Racing 0 09-18-2005 04:43 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:36 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net