R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-04-2008, 02:40 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyar15 View Post
I run and work on V-specs all the time. The newer V-specs, don't have the same problems as the older ones. The older ones are the ones, when you look at the underside of the crankcase, the rear-plate screw "bumps" don't run the length of the crankcase....

I've blown a brand new V-spec. It was broken in, took it out on its first day, did a few laps it flipped, engine raced, as something happened to the throttle servo, Engine was WFO and it popped the rod. Oh well....

Haven't had any problems with con-rods, crankcases, or bearings in the newer V-Specs...
this is false. The new Vspecs still have the same issues as they use the same bearings, rod and crank. the changes were made elsewhere.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GSPOT

was the nitrotane 30% or 20%???? i know the race guys down here in fl had issue with the 30% not having enough oil.... they would pull thier motor apart and there would be no oil coming out of the motor, yet on a the 20% there would be.....hmmmmm
VTA member #126
GSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinator View Post
I have run Nitrotane since about July last year. Since then I have gotten more power and longer runtimes out of my engines. I used to run Sidewinder fuel in my VSpecs and I had to replace the bearings every 2 gallons. With the Nitrotane I have about five gallons through through my newest VSpec without any problems.

Yes Nitrotane has a low oil content in it yet it is a better quality oil then some of the other fuels. According to some Losi drivers it is a full synthetic oil as compared to a natural castor oil. Nitrotane is not like the White Lightning fuel. It is made by VP racing fuels. I would think that they now a thing or two about making fuel for racing. Weither it is full scale or for r/c engines. Just my two cents.
I would not run under 10% oil content all synthetic. I would add castor to it. VP makes automotive and bike fuels, but is new when it comes to RC engine fuel.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #34
Tech Elite

IMO fuel needs at least a litle castor oil the synthetic oils burn off at a lowwer temp then the castor, to much will keep the engine from revving as free as it can though.
I run werks 30% mainly because i cant get sidewinder anymore, but it runs great just hard on the eyes ,nose and clothes
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #35
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Muscle View Post
this is false. The new Vspecs still have the same issues as they use the same bearings, rod and crank. the changes were made elsewhere.
I'm sorry German you are wrong. The new V-Specs use a rear bearing with more balls so it does not have the same problem. The rod and crank are not as much of an issue when the bearing doesn't fail.

This motor sounds to be a combination of lean running and overrevving. The bottom of this rod didn't explode like that at anything much less than WOT.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Byrons 30% works awesome, now those guys know how to make fuel!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
I'm sorry German you are wrong. The new V-Specs use a rear bearing with more balls so it does not have the same problem. The rod and crank are not as much of an issue when the bearing doesn't fail.

This motor sounds to be a combination of lean running and overrevving. The bottom of this rod didn't explode like that at anything much less than WOT.

German def. knows his nitro mills, and I was thinking the same thing as what he posted:
-I thought that was only with the "Speed" motor, and not the standard VZB's, but could be wrong myself. This all has me a bit reluctant to break in my new mill, and it's the '07 VZB and BRAND NEW. -You got any hard proof I could check out on the rear bearing Swen? It'd sure help me sleep better tonight, lol! Thanks man, -Greg
littlemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #38
Regional Moderator

I race for OS, and you can count the balls. It went from a 7 ball bearing to a 9. Not positive on the numbers but they are different in the '07 and up motors. Also, the hump on the bottom where the back plate screws into runs the length of the bottom of the case on the new motors. On the old style it was only long enough to house the screw.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #39
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Almost, Jon.

Older V-Specs have 8-ball rear crank bearings, 07 V-Specs have 9 ball rear bearings.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #40
Regional Moderator

Yea, I was sure the new one was 9 but couldn't remember the old one. Either way, '07 and newer is a better motor.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #41
Tech Addict

regardless of ball count the bearings still fail prematurely and the crank pins will still round out and the rods are still weak and break or stretch. They fixed it with the OS Speeds with a diff crank and ceramics.

Hey whats up greg.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #42
Regional Moderator

Well you are entitled to your opinion I guess. That's all it is though, your opinion. You've obviously made up your mind so I am not going to try to change it.

Littlemotor- Break in the V-Spec using the heat cycle method and tune it to blow a little smoke. As a reference if you are temping in the 240 range in 70-80 degree f weather you will be very happy and it should last you many gallons.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #43
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Well you are entitled to your opinion I guess. That's all it is though, your opinion. You've obviously made up your mind so I am not going to try to change it.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Jon, it's pretty much a proven fact that the V-spec doesn't last as long as some other motors. They are fast motors though and parts are reasonable so it's a trade off. It looks like they have adressed most issues with the Speed.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:25 AM   #45
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
Jon, it's pretty much a proven fact that the V-spec doesn't last as long as some other motors. They are fast motors though and parts are reasonable so it's a trade off. It looks like they have adressed most issues with the Speed.

Rex
I agree with you, its a trade off.

This is my reason why a choose the stock v-spec :
I race the Dutch championship and some races in Europe.
My v-specs last atleast 25-30 liters (sidewinder fuel) at full race tune before they loose compression and start to flame out (if they dont suck in dirt offcourse).
In Europe i can get the stock v-spec for around 200 euro's (because off the cheap dollar i also shop in HongKong and then they will cost me around 170 euro+ shipping) compaired to the speed v-spec 380 euro's or R&B C6 380-400 euro's prices.
This means i can get 2 stock v-specs witch will give me a combined fuel consumption off somewear around 50-60 liters.
This is enough for me to race one full season, the advantage is i have 2 engines for allmost the price off one speed v-spec or R&B C6 so allways a back up engine.
And offcourse geat fuel mileage, great speed and a very easy to tune engine.

On the older v-specs i allways changed the rear bearing out for a TKO ceramic, but on the new type engine i dont anymore and have great luck with that, i have yet to loose a new type bearing.
I change the rod afther about 5 liters and that rod will stay in there until the engine has lost compression, if the engine will not suck in dirt and your tune is right they will hold up (offcourse i keep an eye on the play, but untill now i havent had a problem or rod snap on me).
I have had one bad experiance with a old type v-spec witch cracked the case, but thats about it.

This is my experiance with the stock v-spec.
Paulus is offline   Reply With Quote