R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was running Losi Nitrotane... I am not sure of the oil %, but I will definitely email Losi... I am NOT ruining my next engine.

Im positive the crank pin was starved of oil... just look at the bottom of the rod, its all discolored. If it over-revved it would have just snapped... it didnt.

I just think its weird that OS drilled the crank and not the rod? Seems like an engineering problem to me..especially since the Speed has the rod dilled not the crank

What temps are you guys' engines running at? I was running 220~250*F all day long with smoke all the way down the straight. Makes me think it was fuel...?
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #17
Nik
Tech Regular

There not much point of rebuilding that engine... it just not worth it. Im not even sure if I would want to risk it. ill get another v-spec, I mean that engine was great until now, and that way I have a spare carb, head, and button...
Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

It looks like the crank pin overheated.... low oil or extremely lean free rev situation. I would stay away from nitrotane, Horizons venture in the White LIghtning fuel didnt work and I would guess the Losi fuel is very similar. I run all sidewinder in my Vspecs.... I rced the Futaba challenge last year, threw my car in the garage when I got back....didnt touch it for 4 months and raced the Phycho Blast in atlanta with zero issues... sidewinder and OS is a dead reliable combo IMO.

wassup Art? Almost time for some sunshine and nitro
Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #19
Nik
Tech Regular

looks like I'm leaning to the answer that that fuel did not have enough oil in it.

LHS gave me a gallon of nitrotane when I bought V-spec Numero 2 today, I figure it should be OK for break in as you run so rich, but what a scary thought Ive only ran 2 tanks through it so far, now im scared !
Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #20
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)

Its funny that your LHS would give you Nitrotane that is losi/horizon, when you bought a OS Vspec, which is Great plains, two major competitors, just kinda weird!
T Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
Nik
Tech Regular

like how they stock associated right next to losi? Mabey its because the owner is a bit of a Losi nut (). I could have gotten other fuel, I just didn't know better at the time. I guess im a preferred customer, I must pay the electric bill with my spending
Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

If the Nitrotane is anything like White lightning, good luck. The white lighting runs 8% oil content. I don't dare venture that low. I've used the Omega 10% fuel for break-in and then switch to TQ or ODonnells. So far, I have 5 motors that ran on Omega for break-in. Two of them has since run races on ODonnells 30% with some castor added. One a P5X with 2.5 gallons, and an O.S. Speed AL with about 1 gallon. The P5X has tight compression and still pushes the sleeve out of the case with the head button off. The Speed is still locking up.
The thing with low oil and high revs is that the crankpin starts to starve of oil since the oil is being pressed out at high RPM. If you keep the HSN to lean, flip over and high rev, or have a run away, it will wear or lockup the rod.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to JustinD

Go Tilted Fuel the best thing in the world.

Mugen MBX6 -EB MOD OS V-Spec / EB MODS FUEL
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #24

The shock, the horror, a v-spec, the mighty O.S. engine dead!!!

Holy Smoke Batman
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

My V-Specs start making power at 190 degrees, but are "right" between 210-230. I'm using Byron's Gen2 11% right now, and will try 9% once I've used up the fuel I currently have.

I tried Nitrotane last year and didn't have any specific problems with it, but I didn't like the lack of smoke from it to give me a visual indication that I was at least sort of close of being tuned.

After trying that, Sidewinder and Byron's, you'll now need to pry the Byron's out of my cold dead hands to get me to stop using it.

TKO ceramic bearings are money.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

we here at Ofna use Byron's Gen 2 fuel for our engines and runs great , the new fuel makes the engine run richer so now I need to lean on the needle a lil more. My Evo2, Evo1 and JL off road has more power and more run time.

Last edited by -R2-; 03-03-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: corrected the word (makes)
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #27
Nik
Tech Regular

thanks guys. 210-230 sounds about right talking to other local owners too.

I already have 4 tanks of o'donnels through my new v-spec. After its broken in i'll buy a gallon of sidewinder to try
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My last V-spec I stopped using a temp gun after I broke it in. I just tuned it to performance, with a good smoke trail. and it lasted longer than any other engine I have ever owned. I actually had my temp gun stollen, but it tought me alot about how to tune without a temp gun.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #29
Nik
Tech Regular

I don't tune to temps either, I just temp it after the race to see where its at. I think that was the problem running losi fuel... even though it 'felt' fine and ran well it still wasn't getting enough oil, and sooner or later....

im actually interested in the email i sent to losi about the % of oil in nitrotane, I bet I will not get a response
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #30
Tech Addict

I have run Nitrotane since about July last year. Since then I have gotten more power and longer runtimes out of my engines. I used to run Sidewinder fuel in my VSpecs and I had to replace the bearings every 2 gallons. With the Nitrotane I have about five gallons through through my newest VSpec without any problems.

Yes Nitrotane has a low oil content in it yet it is a better quality oil then some of the other fuels. According to some Losi drivers it is a full synthetic oil as compared to a natural castor oil. Nitrotane is not like the White Lightning fuel. It is made by VP racing fuels. I would think that they now a thing or two about making fuel for racing. Weither it is full scale or for r/c engines. Just my two cents.
chuckinator is offline   Reply With Quote