R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default 3000ft my ass....

why does my spektrum receiver kit say that its range is 3000 feet?

3000 feet = 1000m

1000m = 1km

im not getting anywhere near 1km.. im getting about 500ft MAX.

and because of that... i drove it down the street, then it went outta range, took an uncontrolled sharp left, hit a jump off a snowbank, right into a fence, breaking both my A arm things on the front left side (driver side)... wow, thanks spektrum. they just lost a lot of my respect cuz of that shenanigans.

why am i not getting 3000ft?

what am i doing wrong??

how do i get it so that when it goes out of range, it IMMEDIATELY puts on the brakes, and straightens the wheels?

T Lawrence is a scamming scumbag

Tonys Screws l carolinasrc.com l spektrum (?)
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to dgraham225

failsafe dude, get yourself a failsafe! lol! i dont know about that 3000ft thing though..
Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you don't have the instructions then go to their web site and i am sure that they have them there it will tell you how to set the failsafe and as far as range i have never had a problem with the range i have never put it to the test though i would check your batteries in your car and your radio make sure that they are fully charged first before trying to go that far away or you could send it back to spectrum and have them make sure that it is working the way that it should hope this helps
shawnp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Rule #1 3,000 feet does not equal 1,000 meters.
MikeInCtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to dgraham225

oh yea thats right,the spektrum rx's have built in failsafes, i didnt realize that part.

and yea, 3000ft-914m

which is still a little far-fetched to me?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've gone till I could barely see my car before and still had perfect control over it. but i don't use spectrum. I'm still not sold on it being any better than what I already run
Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I never had an issue with my spektrum and I drove it well over 1000 feet away. Im not even sure If I could see it at 3000 ft . For max reception you need to have the antenna straight up as high as you can. I did hear about someone having issues with the recievers could be a bad batch that went out. Send it to spektrum for repairs if its under warranty still.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Nik
Tech Regular

you MIGHT be able to get 3000 feet... if you fully extend the rx antenna straight up, and go out to some desolate place in the desert where there is NO interference or buildings.

I dont know what the rules on broadcasting are up in Canada, but many things use 2.4 gig, phones, wireless routers, ect.... might be some interference.

Other than that, I have had no problems with my spektrum in my 3pk, driven it as far as I could see it. If your car is so far away that you don't know which way it is facing or traveling it is to far away LOL
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Tech Champion

I second the battery check. And I'll add to inspect the on/off switch. My friend setup his car last week. He was able to drive fine for several tanks of fuel. All of a sudden it took off for a few seconds then came back in control. He stopped and looked over everything. So he went back to try again, driving slowly to see if it would mess up. A couple of tanks later there it goes-wide open, but then came back in control. Someone loaned him an on/off switch and he has had no more problems.

Oh, and the failsafe wasn's set correctly either. So when the on/off switch would come back on it would move the throttle servo to wide open for about two seconds and then go to the position my friend had the radio at...which by that time was full BRAKE!!! It was weird at first but I'm just saying to check the on/off switch.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The first generation Spectrums are not good for range at all.
I cant remember how many guys I have seen with range issues.
Myself included. I lost range at 500ft and had a runaway. Cost me a new motor and a lot of damage to my buggy. Myself to blame for that as I didnt set the fail safe and went to full throttle.
The new pro version is better I think as well as the new DSM 2 even better again as this is the system they use for avition models.
Just dont go to far with it and have the fail safe programed right. For long range you still cant beat crystals I think..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnp. View Post
if you don't have the instructions then go to their web site and i am sure that they have them there it will tell you how to set the failsafe and as far as range i have never had a problem with the range i have never put it to the test though i would check your batteries in your car and your radio make sure that they are fully charged first before trying to go that far away or you could send it back to spectrum and have them make sure that it is working the way that it should hope this helps
i do have the instructions, i DID have the failsafe properly setup, dont know why its different now.. i know my battery wasnt 100% charged THIS time, but other times when the battery is full it still does it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraham225 View Post
oh yea thats right,the spektrum rx's have built in failsafes, i didnt realize that part.

and yea, 3000ft-914m

which is still a little far-fetched to me?
i agree, but still, if they say 3000, you should be able to get more than 300 (estimate)

i dont know if this is the rx youre refering to, i think its just the sprektrum dx3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
I've gone till I could barely see my car before and still had perfect control over it. but i don't use spectrum. I'm still not sold on it being any better than what I already run
ive almost gotten there... ive gone to the part where its hard to tell front from back, what do you rune... so far im losing respect for spektrum, i used to love em.. now im a little weary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCtown View Post
Rule #1 3,000 feet does not equal 1,000 meters.
Rule #2: dont try to make OP look stupid, it was a rough estimate you idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante212 View Post
I never had an issue with my spektrum and I drove it well over 1000 feet away. Im not even sure If I could see it at 3000 ft . For max reception you need to have the antenna straight up as high as you can. I did hear about someone having issues with the recievers could be a bad batch that went out. Send it to spektrum for repairs if its under warranty still.
the antenna is straight up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
you MIGHT be able to get 3000 feet... if you fully extend the rx antenna straight up, and go out to some desolate place in the desert where there is NO interference or buildings.

lol, thats EXACTLY what i did... does out in the back country on a gravel road work? im in alberta canada... no deserts here, just forestry

I dont know what the rules on broadcasting are up in Canada, but many things use 2.4 gig, phones, wireless routers, ect.... might be some interference.

Other than that, I have had no problems with my spektrum in my 3pk, driven it as far as I could see it. If your car is so far away that you don't know which way it is facing or traveling it is to far away LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
I second the battery check. And I'll add to inspect the on/off switch. My friend setup his car last week. He was able to drive fine for several tanks of fuel. All of a sudden it took off for a few seconds then came back in control. He stopped and looked over everything. So he went back to try again, driving slowly to see if it would mess up. A couple of tanks later there it goes-wide open, but then came back in control. Someone loaned him an on/off switch and he has had no more problems.

Oh, and the failsafe wasn's set correctly either. So when the on/off switch would come back on it would move the throttle servo to wide open for about two seconds and then go to the position my friend had the radio at...which by that time was full BRAKE!!! It was weird at first but I'm just saying to check the on/off switch.
its possible that its my on/off switch, that does sound like the same scenario as me though, it was always kinda weird from the start.

thanks for all the help guys. ill post damage pics tomorrow!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

Just curious, whats the point of going that far in the first place? You not going to see the vehicle, and it will already be top outed (speed wise), long before you could have hit 3000 ft. Bullet proof vests say they can stop bullets, but why try........?
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

what kinda lap times ya'll get on a 3000ft track?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponx View Post
Just curious, whats the point of going that far in the first place? You not going to see the vehicle, and it will already be top outed (speed wise), long before you could have hit 3000 ft. Bullet proof vests say they can stop bullets, but why try........?
im not going for 3000 feet, if it says that in the manual it should AT LEAST, AT LEAST get 2000 feet, not only 300...

id like to be able to get some wicked distance, i have a huge open area and dont even get to drive me car very far from me. i should be able to travel at WOT for at least 5 seconds without going out of range... come on spektrum

Old 03-01-2008, 02:08 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

I have only raced, in a controlled enviroment, so I cannot honestly say what kind of distance I should expect, as it does what I need it to. But I know with the Spektum receiver it does say you can cut the antenna on the receiver. This will however decrease the range. Is your receiver wire cut by chance? If not good luck with your problem. Defineatly contact horizon if your having issues.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote