Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rctvlive said it is going to review the Rc8 from Associated

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default Rctvlive said it is going to review the Rc8 from Associated

There is a thread on the electric forum marked RCTVLIVE for 2008 and they list the RC8 from AE as going to be shown. Should be good. What do you drivers that have one think of it? I am torn between the Losi 8 and the RC8
Old 02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have never driven a Losi so I can't make any comparisons, but I love my RC8. I do have some gripes with it, but overall very satisfied. I will be looking for the review.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have spent a lot of time with Losi's, everyone i drive with regularly has one. I have driven a few. When badly set up, they suck of course. With a good base set up they are awesome to drive and jump beautifully as a rule.

I couldn't say which was "better" handling over all, at this level of car it becomes personal choice.

I will make a few notes based on my experiences...

Losi seems to take more maintenence, you have to stay on top of the diffs for sure and worn steering rod ends have been the cause of many ends to a good run in a main. In comparison the RC8 diffs seem bulletproof although of course all diffs should be maintained.

Rc8 is also in it's infancy, things that have commonly been broken (A arm plate, A arms, front wishbones) are now taken care of with a service pack. AE are well on top of customer care. All cars suffer teething problems, RC8 is getting through it.

Losi still have a random throttle servo problem, you will be told to put O rings under somewhere on the radio tray. The problem is a complete mystery in reality, although people will try and tell you a few reasons for it, the O rings generally work.

The RC8 needs a well documented modification to plastic shock caps from the RTR on whichever car you drive. Caps are about $5. You can find instructions and pics to do the mod in a few places... most notably the Associated forum.

People will also claim Carbon Fibre shock mounts will be weak. This is a nonsense, Carbon fibre is a very strong material and the way the towers are built increase on that.

I drive the RC8 and i love it. Losi drivers tend to love their Losi. Personally i would reccomend the RC8, objectively i would recommend doing as much research as you can, read the reviews, talk to people then go with the one you like the look of and appeals the most.

That's your cup of coffee's worth...