R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco62 View Post
Wow. Thanks for the time and the down to earth explanation and advice. My gut tells me the VG is the best bet to start out, especially after your help. I think I would rather stick to the back for a short bit and learn than get frustrated and throw everything in the dumpster and take up dancing.

You touched on another question if I may press further. I recently read a review of the Jammin' pipes that indicated the JP-1 was great low end and, according to the review, their second best pipe, but that the JP-4 had a better bell curve and less drop off in the end resulting in more balanced performance. My thought was to use the JP-4 so that the lack of high end from the VG .21 might be offset with the help of less drop in performance from the pipe, but should I stick with the JP-1 and just try and pump the low end as much as possible?

ps: i just got a jp4 and i absolutely LOVE IT. its my fav part of my car

quick question: whats the diff between a 12T and 18T clutch?

the 12T has a higher top speed?

the 18T accelerates faster?

T Lawrence is a scamming scumbag

Tonys Screws l carolinasrc.com l spektrum (?)
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 View Post
ps: i just got a jp4 and i absolutely LOVE IT. its my fav part of my car

quick question: whats the diff between a 12T and 18T clutch?

the 12T has a higher top speed?

the 18T accelerates faster?
I believe the 18T is the higher top speed, but please don't take my word as gospel.
paco62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Hey paco if you haven't purchased a engine yet i would look at the GO tech .25 or the go tech .28 they are real nice engine and fairly cheap in price! if you have any questions about them find the go tech thread!
GRudinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco62 View Post
I believe the 18T is the higher top speed, but please don't take my word as gospel.
Correct. Smaller count pinion/clutchbell gives faster acceleration and less top end. A larger count pinion/clutchbell gives slower acceleration but higher top speed.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Correct. Smaller count pinion/clutchbell gives faster acceleration and less top end. A larger count pinion/clutchbell gives slower acceleration but higher top speed.
So then would it be correct to assume that you could offset the weaknesses of a particular motor (say the low end bite of the O.S. VGT .21) by using a smaller or larger count pinion/clutchbell?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Uh.....yes you could. But you'd be better off to gear properly for the track you run at for the day. If you only run at one track then it would be fine to regear and leave it. For larger tracks you would want to gear the vehicle for the track and just live with the lack of bottom end, or use the clutch shoe adjustments to let the engine tack up a bit before engagement.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #22
Tech Adept

So what would be a good recommendation on the Throttle and steering servos for this vehicle? I have a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHz Rx. I definitely want to get good quality on this as there is less for me to screw up first time around...
Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5 View Post
you sure about that??

i heard that they put very little amount of resistance on the motor (PS anyways). almost insignificant?

and how is the starter box easier to use?

i run a pullstart, and when my car dies, i walk to it with the glowplug, start it on the spot, and keep cruising, while i walk back to where i originally was.. whats easier than that?

I love my Losi roto start, and 10 gallons later it still working perfectly, and starting 2 vehicles!
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote