R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Y-Rock View Post
Porty that's an awesome post. Thank you for the info. I'll look for a TSA lock. I was also told to just use a large zip tie.

Mugen- take the tires off for ease of carry on...less room taken.

Has anyone had bad luck shipping fuel to your hotel? I'm going to have a case sent. I guess I'll call my hotel and check with them. Being near the track like they are, I'm sure it's not the first time a customer has had fuel shipped to them.
Also, has anyone had shock seals leak oil from the pressure change of flying?
ive heard of shocks exploding before too. not on rc cars though, it was on my dh race bike, people said it might blow my fork if it went on an airplane, im not sure though, by the sounds of it a lot of people here havent had any problems.

T Lawrence is a scamming scumbag

Tonys Screws l carolinasrc.com l spektrum (?)
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MaTt 93

Quote:
ive heard of shocks exploding before too. not on rc cars though, it was on my dh race bike, people said it might blow my fork if it went on an airplane, im not sure though, by the sounds of it a lot of people here havent had any problems.
Thats probly cause of the air in the shocks

SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOOSER !!
MaTt 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to MaTt 93

SECOND PLACE IS THE FIRST LOOSER !!

Last edited by MaTt 93; 02-19-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: double post
MaTt 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mind_Blower

Ok, so it seems everyone says take the tank out of the car if the car is going to be carry on. What do you do with it then? Can it be put in checked baggage?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTt 93 View Post
Thats probly cause of the air in the shocks
did you double post because the site was going ridiculously slow?

i sometimes do it too, it takes like 10 mins to load the thread after you post so you hit it again.

ps: why has it been so slow lately? time for a server upgrade? too many posts/threads/activity lagging the site?

T Lawrence is a scamming scumbag

Tonys Screws l carolinasrc.com l spektrum (?)
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Im just not sure how geo is gonna get the "guns" through the check points Good luck
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Trip #1 Took my T4 from Tampa, FL to Bloomington, IL. Tampa opened my RC Suitcase, my Pro-Match batt case was opened. Returning, Bloomington didn't bother my suitcase.

Trip #2 Took my GT from Tampa to Bloomington. Tampa didn't bother my RC Suitcase. Returning, Bloomington open everything!!!! How did i know, taped everything closed. Had the ends folded over as a pull tab. They were all gone!!!! Didn't pack fuel my brother had fuel for me, we use the same brand and %.

My RC Suitcase is a zippered, padded, softcase w/wheels and pull up handle.
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmelme View Post
Im just not sure how geo is gonna get the "guns" through the check points Good luck
That's right brother!! They will be inspecting my muscles because they will not believe that they are real. I'll be on trial for steriod use for sure. Me and Clemens can hang out in court.

I got 99 problems, but a b!#ch ain't one!
Geo Y-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

On the thead topic......I decided to send anything that I thought would give me trouble in the airport via UPS ground. Tools, shock oils, glue, etc. I also sent the truggy. Now I only have to go through inspection at the airport with my clothes, tires and radio. I packed all of my clothes around the radio for padding. I'm taking my buggy as a carry on minus tires and fuel tank. I would've mailed everything out there but I didn't want to be pitting out of a cardboard box all weekend. I figure once I get to the hotel, I'll put all of my clothes in the dresser of the room and then put my gear in my plastic rc chest that I'm using as luggage. I'm thinking about taking the radio as carry on instead of the buggy.

word

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Lars Johnson

It can all depend on the airport and the various people that work for the TSA. I've never had an issue in Denver. I flew to Minnesota and back in September with my buggy and truggy checked on, no problems. 3 weeks later, i flew to Ontario, CA for the Reedy Truck race, and on the return flight from Ontario, they would not let us have our cars in the checked baggage, because there was fuel (nitro-methane) residue on them. We asked if we could take the fuel tanks out, they said yes (figure that out), so we sat down in the middle of the terminal and started wrenching. They actually kept the tanks + fuel lines.

I'm shipping my cars & tires from now on, I can't deal with one airport saying one thing, and another airport saying another. You can ship a 50lb box or one of those black tubs (foot locker) via ground FedEx for about $30. You can also setup an account with FedEx or UPS, print a return label before you go, slap it on the box when you check out and leave it at the hotels front desk or at the track, and schedule a pickup for the same day.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

I am actually in a quandary what to do. I fly back to the UK on sunday. I flew out here with my car in luggage over 2 months ago and already had tools out here. I want to take everything back this time so i will be taking car, radio, tools and some spares. Thing is i am leaving last day of my Visa and i could get screwed if i have problems on my first flight which is internal to Texas... as i don't have the longest layover in the world and cannot afford to miss my flight out of the US. I do not fancy becoming an ilegal immigrant at all.

I was fancifully planning to land in the UK sunday morning and go straight to the track and book into the last race of our winter series there. At this stage though rather than risk a whole bunch of knock on issues i may just mail it back to the tune of about $100.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Well next weekend is our trip. I plan on checking everything (Mugen buggy and truggy, glow plugs, tools, some parts, starter box and radio) I plan on spraying out the fuel tanks with brake cleaner and either replacing all the fuel line or just blowing them out with compressed air so there wont be any residue. I guess we will see what happens.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I fly ALL the time. I would love to drag my gear with me and hit tracks in all the spots I go to. It's too much of a pain though. I went from Chicago to atlant and checked evrything but fuel. They check it and let it tough cuz I told them right off the bat what it was. They said "RC car? You mean like a toy?" I said "uh...yeahh." They let it go through. Then on the way back they thre a fit in ATL. Said they couldn't take the chance of me blowin up the plane. Uh hello! I'm on that plane!

They said if it has EVER had fuel in it, it can't fly. So take out the tank and engine and ship them. Fly with the rest. Buy fuel when you get there or ship it. Or run electric! NAh I'm just kidden
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytanic View Post
Then on the way back they thre a fit in ATL. Said they couldn't take the chance of me blowin up the plane. Uh hello! I'm on that plane!
Man, maybe the guy saw the movie "The Dead Pool" one time to many.

Do they not let anything on freight planes in case someone is trying to blow them up?

Security inconsistency at airports is almost laughable at times. I would start typing about it but i will just rant and get so angry i will want to kick a kitten.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

I shipped my stuff today and it cost me $74 from Wisconsin to Las Vegas via UPS Ground. That included a $24 insurance fee. I insured it for $3000. I decided to ship the stuff because this way the box is packed to utter perfection and left that way. I was fearing having to open my trunk at pre flight inspection and have them rummage around. Also, I saw a news coverage of an airline company and in the coverage was a video of a bag on a conveyer belt. This bag proceeded to get hammered my a hydraulic arm that shoved it into a different track as it was getting sorted. The bag tumbled on four sides before it came to rest. Then the video showed workers throwing bags around. Right then I decided NO WAY. Sure it's not like UPS will be extra careful with it. But atleast the hydraulic arm will not be hammering my gear. No conveyer belts for this rc racer....nah uh.

Lars that's awesome feedback. I will look into a prepayment on a return label out of my hotel now that you said that. That's dialed!!! Will I see you at Silver State?