Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Setting up throttle on GT2

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help Setting up throttle on GT2

I was wondering if anyone had any idea where I could get some info on how to set up my throttle on my GT2.I just put a ops .12 motor in it with a rotary carb.The problem Im having is that 1 it wont go full throttle or all the way open.2 when i start it and try to take off it wont return all the way and tends to stick not all the way but just enough where it want to keep going.
I would greatly appreciate any help any of you could give me I just got back into this sport and I was into electric more than gas so some of this is new to me im mechanical but somthings just not set right and im at a loss.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

First try referring to the manual for the pics of how they have it set up. I don't remember having trouble with my set up. If you don't have the manual it's on Team associated's web site.

Second, check to make sure the servo horn is not stripped out or something. Sounds like an inconsistent problem, therefore something is worn/broken/bent...maybe.

Third, is the servo OK? Does it work fine on the bench, without the engine running? Check that your linkages don't rub the other linkage when applying brakes and throttle. Something is binding somewhere, and without holding it in my hands I can't see it. I haven't heard of this problem in the GT2 thread here on Tech.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think it's more likely the spring on the throttle linkage isn't applying enough pressure to return it to idle, I know mine gets sticky sometimes. On the high end, perhaps not enough throttle EPA to get the servo to throw far enough?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Thankx for the help guys I was getting worried that no one was going to reply.

I tried to move the ball down to the second hole on the arm on the carb,to see if it pulled it farther.That didnt work.
As far as the spring is it supposed to be really tight or half as tight.What i did notice is that when its on the bench and i just use the remote and cycle it thru it tends to pull the rod thru the atachment on the servo but does not return thru it.I have the brake set really losse where i can push it on the ground and hit the brake it comes to a stop but does not lock up.

I bought this kit as a rtr so it does not have a manual with it just a couple pics of what it should look like but my ? is that Im putting a different style carb on it then what it had and was not sure if it move different.

Also i adjusted the trim and i can get it to throw far enough but then it wont return to the 1/16 gap that you need at idle.
Sorry for the dumb ?'s just tried everything i can think of it just getting frustrated.
Any help thankx in advance

Dave
The servo i good and the horn its a brand new car i just broke in the stock motor and decided to replace it after I seen how much of a dog this thing was compared to my xxxnt.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ugh, RTR radios...nitro cars shouldn't be allowed to be sold with radios that don't have throttle EPA.

You're going to a different style rotary carb or converting from rotary to slide? I know how to set up a rotary carb on a GT2 (atleast, I do when the radio has a throttle EPA), slide carbs I've never done. Supposedly it's not a big deal but I've yet to see how it's done.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Thankx for the replys I have a futaba remote that im switching all my cars over to but all my hobbie stores have not had any recievers for a month now.Anyways im going to a rotary carb from a slide style.
Thanks again Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Which way is your throttle servo facing? Gears to the front of the truck...or the rear?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Tech Rookie

the horn and the gear is towards the rear of the truck.

D
Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

I may have a pic of my old GT(Original) linkage....maybe it'll help.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Man I would really appreciate it
thanks again Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

All my pics are blurry and you can't see the linkage. Give a few min to take care of some buisness and I'll try to walk you through it. Should be easy.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

cool thankx
Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Ok here we go...I'm not sure if the GT2 linkage is the same as most others or not, so this may not all be correct.

Make sure your radio trim is set at zero.

Your servo horn should be shaped like a cross or an L.

With the servo centered(power it up with trim at zero) the horn should sit with 1 end pointing to the back of the vehicle, and 1 end pointing toward the truck at close to a 90 deg angle with the servo.

continued.....
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

The brake linkage arm should connect into the servo horn end that points to the inside...the carb linkage arm should connect to the end pointed to the rear of the truck. When you apply throttle input, the carb linkage should turn left(looking from front to rear) away from the truck...thus opening the carb. Brake input should turn the brake linage toward the front of the truck...pulling on the caliper. The brake linkage should have curve in it so it will not rub the throttle linkage.

Any of this make sense?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

this is what i have.
D
Attached Thumbnails Help Setting up throttle on GT2-gt2-1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.