R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Lowey... I decided to save my 400.00 and install a Picco G1 that I ran on my Inferno. Its an awsome engine crankin 3hp modified and signed by Ron Paris.

But I need a new or piston and sleve so I sent my piston and sleeve to RayARacing to get pinched. I will let you know how it runs when I get it back.

What I do know is I like how its put together. Everything fits just right. Ive built my share of vehicles and I got a long list of annoyances and there wasnt one I encountered when putting this buggy together.

Especially since it comes 90% assembled. What I loved was the throttle linkage just ready to drop in the engine and servos. seems like they went out of their way to make it easy to setup.

This thing is built like a tank too but its still lightweight. Good shock travel and I like the suspension arms. Carbon fiber deck and polished chassis is a nice touch too.

The only thing that gave me a little trouble was the battery compartment. It was a little narrow for my pack but the Team Magic 114052 IB battery pack is supposed to fit perfect. And my antennae wire woulf not feed into the little hole in the aluminum holder so i just ran it under the screwcap and into the tube.

Overall I am very impressed. When I see how it handles jumps and bumps I can reach a verdict.

I also have a Mugen MBX5 Prospec so I will have something to comapre it to. Will let you know
NytroNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Cheers mate!

I'll have a race report in 2 weeks also, providing that i get the shell painted in time.....

I've noticed by looking at as many pics i find that the reason it is cheaper than a Turbo is because TM have left out a few goodies. The centre CV drive shafts have been replaced with dogbones and the 1 piece engine mount has been replaced by mounting blocks. Having the turbo edition already, i will be changing these items over during assembly.

With you're battery issue, I found the same thing with the Turbo. What i found was that in some packs, the connector wires are run along the end of the cells which makes it a tight fit. I cut the shrink wrap off and moved the wires so they now run along the sides of the cells and i put some new shrink wrap on it. The pack is now a nice snug fit and easily removable with gentle tug on the wires!
lowey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowey79 View Post
Cheers mate!

I'll have a race report in 2 weeks also, providing that i get the shell painted in time.....

I've noticed by looking at as many pics i find that the reason it is cheaper than a Turbo is because TM have left out a few goodies. The centre CV drive shafts have been replaced with dogbones and the 1 piece engine mount has been replaced by mounting blocks. Having the turbo edition already, i will be changing these items over during assembly.

With you're battery issue, I found the same thing with the Turbo. What i found was that in some packs, the connector wires are run along the end of the cells which makes it a tight fit. I cut the shrink wrap off and moved the wires so they now run along the sides of the cells and i put some new shrink wrap on it. The pack is now a nice snug fit and easily removable with gentle tug on the wires!
Do you have your new M8 then Lowey?
What are the suspension differences to the TURBO? Alot?

Been so busy at work, I haven't been able to get the TURBO out on the track yet... But soon.

Regards,
British Menace
Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Do you have your new M8 then Lowey?
What are the suspension differences to the TURBO? Alot?

Been so busy at work, I haven't been able to get the TURBO out on the track yet... But soon.

Regards,
British Menace
Yeah, i picked it up last night... Have not started assembling it yet but i'll be taking pics during the build and i'll post a build review as i go.

The differences i've found so far are:
LX shocks and towers,
New lower arms for more droop,
New diffs, without the grub screw adjusters and no o rings on the cross pins,
Conventional rear upper arms for more roll centre adjustment,
Adjustable brake linkage for adjustable brake bias,
Alloy centre dogbone drive shafts (i plan to use my old turbo CVD shafts)
Engine mounting blocks (i'll use my old turbo 1 piece mount)
Bigger, stronger wing
Rear chassis brace
Revised brake system (the cams seem to provide more pad travel)

I have a feeling that the rear lower arms are longer than the turbo as the rear CVD's seem a action short and pop out at full compression (there is a note in the manual reguarding this and travel limiters included in the kit)

There's a few small items that TM have left out of the kit compared to the Turbo, but i guess that's why the kit is 15-20% cheaper than the Turbo!

In all, i'm very pleased with the first impressions of the kit... There's a few little areas that i'm going to have a play with and see if i can improve but other than that, we'll just have to see how it performs on the track.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like i'll have it ready for this month's club day, but that just give me more time to ensure that everything is perfect!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Here's a couple of pics that i took as i unpacked the M8 from the box

The box itself

The box opened

The M8 comes 80% factory assembled

The parts bags required to complete the build

There'll be more pics as i complete the build in stages...
Old 05-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Here's some more pics of the first step of the build!

The diffs come assembled in the car but with no fluid so a little disassembling is required.

Access to the centre diff could not be easier. Just 4 screws as the brakes are under the diff. Same set-up as the M1-B but it seems to have more cam movement if that makes sense.

The centre diff out of the car, ready for filling with fluid.

The front and rear diff are a little bit more complicated to get at, but not much.... Just 6 screws, a R clip and a couple hinge pins is all that needs to be removed to gain access!

The front diff removed and disassembled
Note that the cross pins no longer have o rings on the ends and TM have done away with adjusters. Also, the spider gear thrust washers are now steel instead of alloy on the M1B.

The front diff re-assembled and filled with oil
I went with the recommended F5 C7 R1 oil set-up as per the manual.

More pics to come!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Hey Lowey

Im still waiting on my pinched piston and sleeve from RayARacing. But I have assembled the kit and used the stock setup per the manual. I will check out their website to see if there are some setups from those who have raced it.

Hopefully I will get my P&S this week and I can take it out on the track.

I'll psot some pics of mine assembled.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #38
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytroNutz View Post
Hey Lowey

Im still waiting on my pinched piston and sleeve from RayARacing. But I have assembled the kit and used the stock setup per the manual. I will check out their website to see if there are some setups from those who have raced it.

Hopefully I will get my P&S this week and I can take it out on the track.

I'll psot some pics of mine assembled.
My kit came with a team set-up sheet from spain and there are quite a few differences to the sut-up sheet in the manual....
I'll scan it tomorrow and post it for you!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Thanks Lowey.

I got my P&S back yeaterday and installed it. I also filled my diffs withthe basic setup. You're right. It was easy to get the diffs out. I didnt have to remove anything other than 6 screws and a locking pin for the front, 4 screws for the middle and 6 screws and the rear brace bolt for the rear.

I took me about 30 minutes with both front and rear shock assemblies still attached.

I will fire it up tomorrow and break-in the new P&S. I wont get out to a real track until next week but I will take some laps around a dirt in-field and off-road area behind my house to get the feel of it.

Here are some pics of my M8

Old 05-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Hey NitroNuts, Due to a lack of time to assemble the M8, i'll be running the Turbo for this club day (This Sunday), which, I might add, has been winning almost every race at club level! So if the M8 is as good on track as it looks, then there is a good chance that it'll be hard to beat...... I can only hope...

seriously though... the M1B/Turbo/M8 platform is a very competative car, it just needs a little time spent ironing out the bugs and a bit of tweaking for it to really handle like it's on rails and then it WILL win races.... It just a little bit of effort from some who knows what they are doing!

PS, i haven't had time to scan the set-up sheet yet.... I'll get it done ASAP.....

Cheers!

Last edited by lowey79; 05-08-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Im on the last few tanks of re-breaking in my pinched Picco G1. I must recommend RayARacing to everyone here as the place to get new life in your piston and sleeve. When you have an engine modified and signed by the late engine Guru Ron Paris, you dont just toss it.

Actually it was my fault, I forgot to put the air filter back on in the heat of battle (duuhh).

When breaking in a new engine or re-breaking in a pinched engine you must get the engine temp up to 190 degrees as soon as possible so the sleeve can expand. Otherwise the piston will wear out from friction and when the engine finally reaches 190+ and expands you will lose compression and you are back to square one needing a new piston and sleeve.

So far so good, this engine boasts 3 hp and before it needed repair it was ballistic.

I noticed some flex in the M8 chassis. Im sure thats because of the lightweight design so because of the decreased weight I don't believe the slight flex will be a factor in handling.

I will know when I test it some time this week.

Overall the M8 is very balanced and has good shock travel. It doesnt bottom out when dropped from 5 ft off the ground. Steering travel is very good abd the suspension arms look indestructable... we shall see muuhaaa haaa haaa ha!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Alright. racing season is upon us. I am really contemplating getting the m8. Those of you that have it, what are your impressions.
Drew Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #43
Tech Regular

I can't give you an opinion as i haven't driven mine yet, but i have 1 of 2 in our club and i've seen the other 1 on the track.... It looks very capable. A lot more stable in the rear than the M1B! It still turns in faster than anything i've seen, but it's less flighty in the rear and seems to hook up better off the turns!

I'll give you a more detailed opinion when i've driven mine!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Ohh, sorry nytronuts.... I completely forgot about that set-up sheet... i don't actually own a scanner so i have to use someone elses, i'll try and get it done before the weekend!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:27 AM   #45
Tech Initiate

Hi fellow Team Magicians,

I'm considering getting that M8 as I have been rather impressed by the handling of the M1b. Here is my problem, it's easy finding a shop that sells the M8 but as I want to buy some spares at the same time as a get the car I have problems finding the spares. Where do you get your spares from? I know that many of parts are compatible with the M1b/turbo/Us edition. But what about the parts that are not?

Can't wait to read some race reports.

Cheers,
khaliffen is offline   Reply With Quote