R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Novarossi People?! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/203539-novarossi-people.html)

Megacrash 01-30-2008 12:33 AM

Novarossi People?!

Hi Chaps,

Hope your all well, I would like opinions and honest reviews on the novarossi brand of engines. Ive used all the other makes:

Ninja
Os
Rb
Sirio
Axe

Ive read on here about the bearing failures on the 21 and plus series but im wise enough to realise that forums only tend to share the bad news and the engines above are not fault free. Ive not run the novarossi brand of engine but im tempted to with the possibility of 10+ gallons of life and the reliability which is my main thing.

Im looking at

P5
21-5k
21-7t

I run 30% oddonnel fuel will i need to add shims to the motor? also what pipe and header is reccomended i run a mbx5r buggy with fioroni sliding clutch.

Lastly regarding the rear bearing is there a replacement for it other than the one that is supplied ie ceramic etc...

Cheers:D

ezveedub 01-30-2008 12:59 AM

I would say to go with the P5. You will most likely find only the P5X or P5XS now, since the original P5 is no longer made. The best pipe will be a Nova 9886 for large track power or the 9853 for smaller tracks. I use short of medium headers. Another option is the JP Racing FX 21 B-5N or T series. They come either turbo or standard head button options, or go for the FX 21 Modified series if you want more power. The JP FX have better parts then the base P5, since they come with black treated/silicone filled cranks, with the modified series have modded cranks and sleeves.
The engines generally come with 0.70mm stacked shims for 25% nitro. You generally add a 0.10mm for 30%. I add it for break-in and take it out after if I run 25% nitro or less.

cheesecake 01-30-2008 01:20 AM

i run 30% on my novarossi p5xs without reshiming and the pipe ive been told is the greatest is the msr 1005 i hope to have one of these once my tax return comes back. i have no bearing issues as of yet b ut once i hit the 5 gallon mark im doing bearing and the rod just to be on the safe side.

razor_clawzz 01-30-2008 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by cheesecake (Post 4131467)
i run 30% on my novarossi p5xs without reshiming and the pipe ive been told is the greatest is the msr 1005 i hope to have one of these once my tax return comes back. i have no bearing issues as of yet b ut once i hit the 5 gallon mark im doing bearing and the rod just to be on the safe side.

Oh, I just broke in my P5X. What about piston/sleeve combo? When do i replace them? And yeah, the P5X runs great! Quite a bold statement, but i'll only be specific in writing emails and essays

ezveedub 01-30-2008 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by razor_clawzz (Post 4131571)
Oh, I just broke in my P5X. What about piston/sleeve combo? When do i replace them? And yeah, the P5X runs great! Quite a bold statement, but i'll only be specific in writing emails and essays

That depends on how you tune the engine and the fuel you use. Piston/sleeves get replaced when the compression gets low.

ehartman_49348 01-30-2008 06:17 AM

I bought a P21-5K when the rear bearing in my Ninja exploded and ruined it.... Initially I was pretty happy with the performance and I ran it for several months, but when I got my Ninja back from Mugen after they rebuild it, I would say the Ninja is much stronger! I was a little disappointed with the Nova that the bearings wore out fairly quickly. THe Nove is supposed to be high quality and long lasting, but I had to replace the bearings after about 2 gallons. I am going to try my Nova again this weekend now that I have the new bearings in to see how it will perform. Maybe my performance degredation was due to the bearings.....