Wiki Posts
Search

No low end power in Werks B3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default No low end power in Werks B3 ?

After breaking in the motor I started tuning for better performance and I cant get any power in the low end. If you give it full throttle from a stop it take about 5 sec before it starts to really move. I put in stiffer clutch springs 1.0mm hoping that would help but it didn’t. I’m running a 15 tooth CB and Dynamite 053 pipe. One test Ive done for the low end is the pinch test, it idles for 3 sec slightly revs and the dies. Top end has a nice smoke trail coming from it, maybe a little rich but it’s on the safe side. So after 2 days of pulling my hair out, I am ready for some help.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Your problem is that you are running a 15 tooth clutch bell. try a 13 tooth clutch bell.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madbrad
After breaking in the motor I started tuning for better performance and I cant get any power in the low end. If you give it full throttle from a stop it take about 5 sec before it starts to really move. I put in stiffer clutch springs 1.0mm hoping that would help but it didn’t. I’m running a 15 tooth CB and Dynamite 053 pipe. One test Ive done for the low end is the pinch test, it idles for 3 sec slightly revs and the dies. Top end has a nice smoke trail coming from it, maybe a little rich but it’s on the safe side. So after 2 days of pulling my hair out, I am ready for some help.
almost no engine will have good bottom with a 15T CB try a 13T...im sure you will have better results...

oh btw what bug or trug are you running???
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

if it just sits for about 5 seconds before going your still a little rich, but you do need to go to a 13 if you wont better bottum.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Madbrad
my werks pro b7 is one of my fastest motors and the werks pro b3 is a stronger bottom end
Old 01-21-2008, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

Is it reving cleanly from bottom or is it splattering a bit and then clearing? If so, it's too rich....

+1 on the 13t C/B
Old 01-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Its moving for the first 5 sec when you give it WOT, just doesnt move quickly untill after that. I had a 13 CB on it, but since I thought the problem was the soft clutch springs I wanted to get a little more top end so I put 1.0mm clutch springs and the 15tooth CB.

This is what is really confusing me, it has a good smoke trail, and dosent bog or cut out when you give it WOT at any point. It just a dog when taking off. Im going to start over with the needle setting tonight and see what happens there.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

It's the engine tune, not the clutch. If you're getting good smoke and the top end is fast then try warming up the engine and then leaning the bottom a few hours. See what this change does and you should be able to figure out which direction to go from there.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i agree lean the bottom a few hours...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I run a collari b3 engine and I may be wrong but I think the werks b3 is the same engine. My b3 flies. Im very happy with it, runs just as strong as my vspec
Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

I tried leaning out the bottom 1/4 hour at a time and it made no differance. I kept doing it untill it was too lean and started cutting out. I then started making it richer 1/4 turn at a time and the screw was allmost all the way out. I thought for a while it was going to fall out, but again no differance in performance. I took a vid of it that i'll try to get posted tonight and you can see what im talking about by no low end power.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

I tried leaning out the bottom 1/4 hour at a time and it made no differance. I kept doing it untill it was too lean and started cutting out. I then started making it richer 1/4 turn at a time and the screw was allmost all the way out. I thought for a while it was going to fall out, but again no differance in performance. I took a vid of it that i'll try to get posted tonight and you can see what im talking about by no low end power.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

try leaning the HS needle a little bit. also, 1.1mm springs will let it rev a little higher before engaging the clutch. i run my B3 in my st-1 with aluminum clutch shoes and mugen 1.1mm springs. lots of bottom end, good mid, and a decent top. but also, get a 13 tooth CB.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Check your idle gap and make sure its 1-1.5mm, stick a 1.3-1.4mm drill bit in the carb throat to make sure its right. Then always set your HSN for the performance you want first, then tune your LSN and then adjust your idle. Also use the 13tooth clutch bell. 1.0 clutch springs should be plenty for that engine.