R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
I race both gas truck and modified truck and very much enjoy both of the classes. On club days I see no problem with a brushless/lipo guy running with us be it truck or buggy. We've lately been having some E-1/8 scales racing with us. I actually kind of enjoy it as it brings another sort of challenge to the table.

I don't think they should be mixed on a points series or trophy race though. Unless it's a class that you sign up for and they both have their separate classes as well. A 30 minute nitro race is as much about mechanical skill as it is about driving skill. An electric takes away to many variables that can keep one from finishing or not finishing.

But again,.. on club days I'm all for mixing of the classes, bring it on fellas. The only thing would suck for me is deciding to run my T4 or GT.

I like your attitude... I agree except for maybe the separtating electric/nitro for series races etc. Official sanctioned races don't have much choice, but for a local "big" race I don't see a problem having them mixed.

BTW, don't forget that electrics also have their own set of "issues" to deal with when it comes to finishing a long race, and requires a good setup/engineering etc. Nitro racers have to time the fuel stops but other than that there isn't much to do (different than an electric) once the race starts. It's all in the pre-race prep.

I never had a flame-out last summer in my .21 truggy. So I think I shoudl retire from nitro racing before the odds catch up with me.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #92
Tech Apprentice

If different classes run together at big events, and one of the classes proves to be the winner consistantly, dont you think new people to the hobby will want the winning truck/car? Thus even killing a class further. Just my 2 cents

Jason K.
jjkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
I like your attitude...

I never had a flame-out last summer in my .21 truggy. So I think I shoudl retire from nitro racing before the odds catch up with me.
Thanks

I had one flameout last season with my gt2. Not really a flameout but the flywheel hit a rock landing a jump. Had a one lap lead in the B-main for a the bump spot I really needed as it was the first race of the ftms series. My stuff never, ever stalls..so generally I don't even bring over a bump box. There was about one or two minutes left and I had it in the bag so my pit guy went back to the pits. So needless to say by the time somebody got me started on a revo box I lost my one lap lead and went down a lap, and didn't bump. Which in the end turned out to be really bad for my ranking in the series, but ended up earning me a pic with a niiice looking trophy girl.

So that is the kind of stuff I am talking about can go wrong in a nitro race. Bad clutch bearings, sticking shoes, broken clutch spring, broken brake pad. I know an electric can thermal, or get a bad connection, but I just think for a race of any significance they should be separate.

But if they weren't separated for a trophy race or whatever I would not be the guy to complain. Until I own and operate my own track I will happily run by somebody elses rules and be happy I'm not at work!! lol
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:10 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hear that. Some of my "electric" failures during mains that I can recall:

thermal shutdown (sometimes only for a few seconds...)
smoked esc
batt plug disconnected
pinion gear loosened
motor moved... gear mesh jacked up
battery dump
ESC switch failed

That's 7 different electric-specific things... some my fault some just happened

For nitro... I have only had 2 things: clutch bearing go out, and clutch shoes stick (still finished with a slipping clutch) I think that's it.

But I still like the electric as a challenge
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've never raced an electric beyond 7 minutes. I was at a track last summer that did 10 minute mains but my batt dumped.

I would love to run a 20 minute main with my T4. I'll see if the one track will let me this summer. Just have to get a lipo and I'll be all set to go. I think I'll have to get a balancer for my charger too. Alot of guys I know aren't balancing, but seems like a good idea to me.

I suppose I'll get a new perspective on what can go wrong with an electric once I do run extended main a couple times. Big difference between a sprint race and an endurance race.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

nitro trucks are designed to be more durable & hold up better to long mains too.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #97
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
I've never raced an electric beyond 7 minutes. I was at a track last summer that did 10 minute mains but my batt dumped.

I would love to run a 20 minute main with my T4. I'll see if the one track will let me this summer. Just have to get a lipo and I'll be all set to go. I think I'll have to get a balancer for my charger too. Alot of guys I know aren't balancing, but seems like a good idea to me.

I suppose I'll get a new perspective on what can go wrong with an electric once I do run extended main a couple times. Big difference between a sprint race and an endurance race.

When I raced back in the '80s 1200MaH NiCad packs were the hot setup! Guys were always having problems with dumping packs. NiCads were a PITA. Only the pro's were cutting coms and such. At least at the club level, motor maintenance consisted of motor spray, new brushes, and a few drops of bearing/bushing oil. This was before the days of the rebuildable stock motor. Stock motors now would whip ass on the mods of the 80s...

I've looked at electrics as a way to get back into inexpensive racing. I was gonna get back into 4WD electric buggy (what I raced most before)..............Then I realized that in addition to buying the buggy I'd need to invest in a $$$ competition charger, a buhcha expensive matched packs, a comm lathe, multiple motors etc. At least the brushless guys don't have the motor maintenance issues that the brushed guys have to deal with.

1/10th GT ends up being cheap by comparison. Tires, spares, and fuel are the ongoing costs now. My sport NimH charger works fine for TX/RX packs. Eventualy I'll need to buy another $100.00-160.00 engine. Teardown, cleaning, and inspection are the main maintenance chores. Not bad realy...

Dangit, when did all my favorite cars, trucks, airplanes, and engines become "vintage"???
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #98
Tech Master

Anybody else racing in the gas truck class in the RC Pro Series?

I am racing in the East Division with the first race at Avon Park, FL March 29th thru 30th! I think I will use the electric truck too!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote