R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Right on! Well said. I've noticed the same type of thing since I've acquired my gas truck.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #62
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Oh, i'm sorry i gave the wrong impression. I already have one i am taking my time getting ready to run... wether it grows or not again as a class i am going to run it -even if it ends up just in the back yard track for practice and racing with friends over a BBQ

If enough interest is shown my local track in Hemet CA is talking about running 1/10. The track is actually a good size and has practical jumps for them.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I hate novice drivers in 4wd classes, zero skill and they have the ability to get enough traction in a corner to drive through u. I hate corner racers.

I learned how to drive 2wd and i am good driver. when i started 4wd i was instantly fast. i still love 2wd more, the skill level is awesome.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just got a Losi XXX-NT for my B-Day and i love the thing here in Havasu AZ the class is getting bigger we got about 7-10 trucks on Sat. and it has made my driving style better when i drive my buggy i seem to flow around the track rather then all over the place
Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #65
Tech Master

In an effort to save the gas truck class the RC Pro Series is allowing brushless li-po powered trucks to race with them and requiring them to make the same number of pit stops as the gas trucks do to make it fair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Pro Series Website
1/10 2WD OFF-ROAD TRUCK SPECS

All trucks must be 2wd.

Minimum track width - continuous 10 feet

Maximum truck length - 18?

Maximum truck width - 13?

Truck wheel base - Minimum - 9? Maximum - 11.5?

Minimum Truck weight - 2WD - 60 ounces = 3lbs. 12oz.

Truck wheel diameter - Minimum-mounting bead - 2.175? Maximum mounting bead 2.25" Maximum overall - 2.46?

Wheel mounting - Must be securely mounted at all times.

Maximum Truck wheel width - 2?

Truck tire width - Minimum - 2" Maximum - 2.125?

Minimum Truck tire diameter - 3.6?

Wheel cut out - Use body cut lines

Engine - .12 . This year a .15 RTR or 4 stroke .26 is legal. This is an effort to help grow this class due to the drop in interest in 1/10 Trucks.
Motor - Brushed or Brushless - Mod or stock.
Electric Trucks conforming to the rules of this class will be allowed to participate. That means they must meet the minimum weight. Electric trucks must make pit stops during mains. The appropriate number to be determined at each event which will be equal to the number of stops for the largest majority of nitro powered truck. This addition is to help increase interest in the truck class.

Fuel - Nitro mixtures only. Maximum allowed 75 mililitres/cc for the tank, filter(s) and fuel line from tank to carb.
Power - NIMH, NICD, Lipo maximum voltage of 7.4v

Transmission - 1 speed only - viscous or slipper drivers are allowed

Rear suspension – Independent

Main events - 5 to 60 Minutes

Bodies - Off-road Truck

Tires - Rubber only

All vehicles must meet the 85db rule for noise.
62: Exhaust pipes are also required on every car. The maximum sound level is 85 decibels, measured at a ninety degree angle to the side of the car from a distance of 30 feet, 3 feet above the ground, with the car at maximum throttle and at all speeds

More info here: http://nitrooffroad.rcprosites.com/s.../contentid/236
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Interesting. In addition to the brushless li-po trucks (with mandatory PS) they're allowing .26 four strokes (similar to what happened in motocross), and .15 'RTR' engines. The four strokes could be very competitive with a little developement. Lotsa tractable torque with less wheel spin.

The brushless/li-po guys will be tough to beat. I haven't gone to the 'more info' link yet, so I don't know if they've defined what a 'pit stop' must entail for the electrics. I would think they'd be required to stay in the pit for a certain # of seconds. Otherwise, they'd be just scooting through pit lane! I'll bet the electric guys will all be running QC rear wheel setups. Might as well swap in a fresh set of rear meats while their truck taking a pit stop 'time out'!

Dangit, when did all my favorite cars, trucks, airplanes, and engines become "vintage"???
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #67
Tech Champion

My GT2 has the QC wheels also. The new XXXT-CR have QC too. That could end up equal. But the length of time for required pits will be up for debate.

In nitro racing some pit people are super fast and others are super slow. Where do you draw the line? I'd vote for less than 5 seconds. More around 3-4 seconds. That way the electric guys wouldn't be "punished" for using electric. I know a pit guy that can refuel a GT2 in less than a four count. So if the mandatory pit is much longer, the electric guys could get upset.

On the other hand, an electric mod truck is typically faster than a gas truck. But not by much. That argument ends up coming down to a "it depends on the driver" type of discussion. If you know what I mean.

Well as long as gas truck stays alive I'm happy. I will always be trying to get faster to catch the guy in front of me, so this summer will be fun no matter what.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #68
Tech Master

We have dealt with that issue in several ways for the last 4 years.

Most of the time the announcer calls each electric truck in for it to stop and then the announcer usually says when to go after around a count of 5. We have even done it where the truck is put on the rail and the pit man holds his hands striaght out and back to the truck taking it off the rail and back on pit road.

The pit stops usually don't make the difference in most races anyway. Gas trucks have the flame out problems of those that can't tune and spend alot of time on they're lid! But we are talking about the RC Pro Series where they know how to tune and the racers is a little better.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #69
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8
My GT2 has the QC wheels also. The new XXXT-CR have QC too. That could end up equal. But the length of time for required pits will be up for debate.

In nitro racing some pit people are super fast and others are super slow. Where do you draw the line? I'd vote for less than 5 seconds. More around 3-4 seconds. That way the electric guys wouldn't be "punished" for using electric. I know a pit guy that can refuel a GT2 in less than a four count. So if the mandatory pit is much longer, the electric guys could get upset.

On the other hand, an electric mod truck is typically faster than a gas truck. But not by much. That argument ends up coming down to a "it depends on the driver" type of discussion. If you know what I mean.

Well as long as gas truck stays alive I'm happy. I will always be trying to get faster to catch the guy in front of me, so this summer will be fun no matter what.

Yep. The GT2 and AD2 trucks both have QC rear ends. The electrics haven't realy needed them because of the short mains they usualy run (in their classes anyways), plus they don't get quite the wheelspin we do. The brushless/li-po revolution is changing both factors (with more power+the ability/permission to run in the GT class), so a QC rear end makes more sense on those trucks now.

I also agree that the rule change is good thing overall. Anything to keep the class alive!!!

Dangit, when did all my favorite cars, trucks, airplanes, and engines become "vintage"???
Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #70
Tech Master

Keep in mind the RC Pro Series are mostly on 1/8th scale size tracks with 1/8th scale jumps that usually the gas trucks maybe better on since they do use an aluminum chassis compared to the breakable plastic one the electrics use. Usually the best driver wins no matter which one the driver uses.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #71
Tech Champion

As long as most people are having fun, that's what counts. We gotta keep them coming back. I'll see what happens at the first RC Pro race here in the central U.S. in March. I'm excited.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

I'm not even sure what .26 thumpers are on the market that could be used in a car, otherwise I'd be all over that (4-stroke dirt bike guy here ).

I couldn't care less about BL trucks running alongside Gas Truck, makes no difference to me. Heck, I'm not all that concerned about racing against the new 1/12th Truggies like the CRT .5 either this summer.

My GT2 doesn't have QC hubs either. A harder tire compound took care of that problem.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_stuntboy View Post
Look today, do you see any 2wd electric buggy races?
Yep. And it's still the premier class of RC racing. The more things change, the more they stay the same...
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #74
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I'm not even sure what .26 thumpers are on the market that could be used in a car, otherwise I'd be all over that (4-stroke dirt bike guy here ).
IIRC there's an OS four stroke (or was...) that was inteded for cars. There was also an HB .25 four stroke too. It had a funky head with vertical fins. OS even produced a little belt driven cooling fan that mounted next to the head. A few months ago one of the mags had a couple of pics and a brief description of a four stroke RC10GT that was running in one of the big races. He had the OS engine with the cooling fan. I can't remember what magazine or which race. Gotta do some digging in the back issues...

If there was more percieved interest, then I'm sure the manufacturers would put some development time/$$$ into car four strokes. Reading through the RC Pro rules, I noticed that .56 four strokes are going to be allowed in the MT class as well. A supercharged YS would be very cool in an MT (if the rules would allow superchargers---ROAR rules don't). Unlike two strokes, four strokes respond very well to forced induction!

Edit:

Here's the latest version of the OS .26 four stroke.

http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2091.html

This engine'd be cool in an MT. It wouldn't take much for OS to make an SG shaft version of this engine. Remember that the big engines in the CEN Nemesis and Associated MGT8.0 are both just adapted helicopter engines...

http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg1952.html

Last edited by Eccentric; 02-14-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added links
Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM   #75
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post

I also agree that the rule change is good thing overall. Anything to keep the class alive!!!
Not to pick on you ...
But , this improves gas truck racing ?

How ?

Personally , will never race my gas truck in the Pro series as the rules now are ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote