Search

Why is 1/10scale Gas Truck down

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GenReaper
Who says Gas Stadium Truck is dead?

In South Australia its just getting Bigger and Bigger as we speak.
I run a MT and a MBX5R and am buying a Mugen MST-1 as we speak.
Makes you a more controlled driver, just what i need.

Anyway maybe slightly off topic but heres a video of the last stadium truck race in Whyalla Australia. Enjoy.

http://www.users.on.net/~danzig/Stadium.wmv 32 meg.

Certianly not dead Down Under !!!
Dude, you will love the MST-1!!! IMO, the toughest and overall best 1/10 ever made. I have been raceing the MST-1 for about 3 years and it is awesome.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Pull trigger - Go fast.
See corner - turn wheel - pull trigger
See jump - Really pull trigger
See Fellow Racer - pull trigger don't bother turning wheel
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This same thing happened when the first electric RC10T trucks hit the scene in the early 90's. They were easier to drive and flooded the market. Look today, do you see any 2wd electric buggy races? Now its time for the 1/8 scales. Buggies came on strong and the truggies are starting to come on just as strong. Leaving 1/10 scale nitro behind. I was at the Midwest Champs two weeks ago and there were 177 1/8 scale buggies and only 57 nitro 1/10 scale. I talked to Mayfield about the 1/10 scale class and he and the team manager mentioned that out West that many tracks don't even run 1/10 scale because of turnouts. So I do believe there is a valid point in saying the scene is " Dying " for now. Everything has its fad or time, and ease of operation possibly controls everything. Just my 5 cents, Terry.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I hope 1/10 gas gets back to large attendances. What I see happening in our area is the frikkin' RTR players. The last couple of weekends they're has been about 10 newbies at the track. Guess what, they don't know what they're doing. They won't marshall, cause they don't know what that means. They won't look for others in the way. They won't let off the throttle. And when you do get them to marshall, they don't watch out for the other newbies that launching off the 50ft. double-triple. WHACK! This situation is about to become the norm. The weekly racers almost just show up to watch the clown show. LOL. I shouldn't say that cause I was a RTR newbie just last year. But somehow I recieved knowledge and insight from the "Local Pro" racers. There is so many RTR's showing up that we're trying to find out how to control them. Well, get them under control anyways. Not actually "control" what they do. LOL. This happens with gas mostly. And like stated in a previous posts, the 1/8 are larger, don't break (not as easily), just as fast, but they're is still no control out there.

Sorry, I'm done griping now.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Guess what, they don't know what they're doing. They won't marshall, cause they don't know what that means. They won't look for others in the way. They won't let off the throttle. And when you do get them to marshall, they don't watch out for the other newbies that launching off the 50ft. double-triple. WHACK!
Here are a couple things that we do or will be doing this year to help w/ that at our local track this year. Good descriptive drivers's meetings. Explaining these things you're talking about. We have newbies too and sometimes the simple things are over looked in our meetings. Another one is numbering the marshall locations and during the meeting tell them their car number represents their location to stand. Its a lot easier to see who is not marshalling and for newbies to know where to go and stay out of danger!
Thats great for you guys though if you are getting that many new people out!! These are just suggestions we are going to try locally.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Some of this may apply to R/C and some may not. Back when I raced 24th slot cars, there were times we had a ton of noobs. The experienced racers knew where to pass to be safe and where to lay back and let the noob screw up in front of them and then pass. Most days they would hit a wall at full speed and be done for the day anyway by half way point. When marshalling, each person was given an area to do and watch out for. They were instructed before hand on what to look out for, how to grab stuff, and how to behave in their area. A meeting before a race went a long way and after the meeting people had a bit more respect for each other and they knew what their job was that day.

As to what was said about the RTR bunch, be glad you have them. That means lots of parts $$ for someone and a chance to do some teaching so that they can join you week after week. If you don't get those people and treat them well, your numbers will dwindle and you will have nowhere to race.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This summer will be my 4th year racing nitro, the first 2 were spent with an Ofna HODR and/or LX Comp we all referred to as the "Frankenbuggy". The thing that upset me most during those first two years is I was getting beaten by hack drivers. What I mean by that is, approaching a rhythm section I'd be sure to take my time and line the car up for the first takeoff, and try to do the section as cleanly as possible. At the same time, someone behind me just went hell-bent for election, overshot the landing by a mile and a half, landed directly on the tail which made the car endo about three dozen times, by some miracle land on all 4 tires, and keep going like nothing ever happened. Meanwhile I'm still working my way through.

It really sucked any and all fun out of racing, getting beat like that, and I was already a veteran of electric Stock Truck, so it made sense to me that I should switch to Gas Truck. Conveniently this came just as the RC10GT2 was released, and all last summer I had an absolute BLAST racing it. Even though there wasn't much of a following for them and I often got stuck in with the Monster Trucks, most times I was running faster than they were.

So yeah, 1/8th Buggy, Truggy, doesn't really do it for me. Gas Truck for life
Old 01-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by newbie2
I also have the losi (drake2 for me) an if u broke every time u drove it it's obivous u were crashing a lot that is why it broke. When u learn to stay between the tubes an nav. thru the tech. areas u won't have a problem. while these trucks are a little more fragile they don't break themselves. I have truggys and a buggy an 1/10 electrics but the 1/10 gas is by far the most fun to drive.

Its true I wasnt a very good driver when I owned the losi, but my main problem wasnt hitting tubes or other cars it was taking the jumps I added a rpm front bumper and that changed the whole flight dynamics of the truck which I wasnt aware of until I started racing it. It caused most of my lawn darting which in turn broke 3 or 4 turnbuckles(those things cant take a hit for anything ) and tore apart the ball diff. Once I had all this stuff fixed the car ran great, but I had stoped racing it because I couldnt keep up racing MT class and 1/10 scale at the same time so I sold the one I had the biggest issues with. I would probably buy another 1/10th scale again if I found a good deal and the local racing picked up for it.

And im a much better racer now
Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Man, killer feed back guys
I could not find 1 argument I didnt agree with and felt much as others. Im glad to see in the "Land Down Under" they have WIDE lanes to run on cuz a couple of those trucks were......
I find a stimulus to the change from outside the racer......LHS. I"m not happy with many of them (not all) and feel due to the almighty dollar my health is at risk....newbies with 1/8 scales. I dont remember my dad buying me a '69 GTO as my 1st car to learn how to drive. Learn to walk before you run. Problem is we as hobby need new racers to keep all alive cuz with natural attrition of racers we need to replenish. Problem #2 60mph 8lb missles out of control and I do mean OUT OF CONTROL. We as a hobby need to come up with a logical practical way to control this, if even possible . A very fast driver stated he does not the lack of respect when he runs 1/8, and we atribute this too, most are new drivers. So in a way the LHS is responsible, not to mention the loss of parts sales for 1/10.

Keep it coming gents this has been good stuff.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazyjr
You got too much motor in the electric, you need something more like a 6.5 to 8.5 to see how it runs on a track. Right now you are blowing off the tires and getting no traction. I run a 4600 in a T4 and a .12 TG in a GT2 and they are about the same
Too much motor and blowing off tires, not so!

Spektrum DX3.o epa is set at 32 not 125.

I TQ'd and finished 1st 1/25/8 with this setup and never spun the tires!!!

I drive gas truck also, so I learned finger control!!

=====

Just because you have a HEMI Cuda doesn't mean you drive it foot to the floor!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
40%
Tech Addict

My 2 cents.

The 1/10 gas truck scene was populated by AE,Losi and the on rare cases kyosho.

The manufacturers did not dare to venture in the market and were not willing to make the risk.

When Truggies came into the scene. Big name drivers are driving truggies at races which helped with the marketing.Every one wants one. Monster truckers like the size. buggy drivers like the speed. The perfect mix.

Another factor is most rc hobbist would and already have a .21,.28 engine , servo's which can can always just slap in a 1/8 gas truck. Every1 mailed thier favorite manufacturers if they will have a truggy of the brand .

Safe to say 70% jumps into the scene. Last check on 2007 a total of 9 manufacturers have a 1/8 truggy in their list and this year another 4 more.*See my point that the 1/10 truck class was limited?

With the luxury to choose and the abundance of parts from their favorite brand i think its a factor why most drivers now at least owns one 1/8 buggy and one buggy .I have a rc10gt which is now a shelf queen and i miss the old days .

Last edited by 40%; 01-31-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

So do you guys think now that there are 4wd 1/10 coming out that that will become a class?........
Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RACING MASON
So do you guys think now that there are 4wd 1/10 coming out that that will become a class?........
Yanno I've been thinking for the longest time, around when the MT class started taking off and those super small Komodo tires came out, someone somewhere is going to show up at a race with an old HPI Nitro RS4MT and just WALK AWAY with the show.

Buddy of mine has one in (or should I say all over) his place, I'm trying to convince him to put it together for this summer just to see what it could do.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would think a 1/10 scale 2wd nitro truck would break less than an 1/8 scale
truggy or buggy being that it has alot less moving parts,it's alot lighter and its
engine makes alot less power. The only real problem it has IMO is making large
jumps on low traction tracks,(not being able to accelerate fast enough) but if
traction is good the 1/10 scale gas trucks are very fast.

P/S; I also race the old hpi mt and it makes alot of monster truckers go truggy.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

someone should build a 1:8 scale .21 2wd stadium truck...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.