R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Which Buggy Should I get (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/203381-buggy-should-i-get.html)

rescuemann 01-29-2008 07:31 AM

Which Buggy Should I get

I am inquiring as to which buggy is the best. I have a Tmaxx and Jato currently. I just sold my SUT and want to get another 1/8 scale. HELP

DOMIT 01-29-2008 07:49 AM

Ahhh... the weekly can of worms... you're going to get sooooooo many different opinions here.

I'll just post a couple of general tips:

1) Stay away from RTR cars. You'll spend more in the long run.

2) What can you find parts for locally? What are the local guys running?

There are a huge number of "top level" buggies out there... any of them would make a good vehicle for you. If you are comfortable driving a 1/10 scale 2wd, there isn't anything out there that you will find to be hard to drive, so let me jump right in and say Losi 8ight... it is more nimble and responsive than just about anything you can get, BUT, a lot of folks say it is hard to drive. Well, for a 4wd buggy, maybe it is... but compared to a 2wd 1/10 scale truck... it will be stable and forgiving. Also the Associated RC8 is a very nimble, responsive car.

rescuemann 01-29-2008 07:56 AM

I was thinking about the Losi 8 race roller with an OS engine. I want a 4wd buggy if this narrows the field. I have 2 local hobby shops that stock parts for various cars. I am somewhat new to the nitro field. I, at one time, raced electric. I was into the RC-10 and JRXT.

houston 01-29-2008 08:48 AM

Kyosho !!! Novarossi!!! the k cars are more adept to all different track conditions , more durable and easier to work on !!!! plus 21-5k !!! or p5x !!!! and dont be surprised if you see something new from novarossi in the near future :nod:
monty

rescuemann 01-29-2008 09:47 AM

Are we talking 777? What model and engine do you suggest? I would like to try my hand in racing. I want a buggy that will compete out of the box. Don't mind putting it together. What engine do you suggest. All of the models seem similar.

rescuemann 01-30-2008 05:38 AM

How does the Hyper 8.5 stack up against the Losi 8. I know that there is a price difference, but I dont know if you are just paying for the name. HELP

LOL 01-30-2008 07:04 AM

Get a jammin x1x-cr buggy...it is very tough...:D:D

Robert.Hull 01-30-2008 07:12 AM

check out the CEN Matrix
http://www.headrushhobbies.com/estor...itro%20Buggies thats the pro kit there is an rtr as well though ;)

DOMIT 01-30-2008 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by rescuemann (Post 4131848)
How does the Hyper 8.5 stack up against the Losi 8. I know that there is a price difference, but I dont know if you are just paying for the name. HELP

I can't answer that. There are people who have and really like the 8.5. I haven't driven one. I have heard only good things so far though.

The Losi is a great car... it is like a "real" sportscar in that you have to stay on top of maint. Fortunately parts are inexpensive (as far as 1/8 scale buggies go.) If you ignore and neglect your equipment, the Losi is NOT the car to get. If you stay on top of it, it is a stellar performer.

As for just paying for the name... I don't think that is true for ANY "top-level" buggy. The quality of components and the engineering are what you are paying for, vs. the less expensive ones. (That's not bagging on the 8.5... it very well may be an exception to that rule! Like I said, I have heard nothing but good things about that buggy!) The Hyper 7 and Hyper 8 were good cars in their day, and given that the 8.5 is the next step in the line, I suspect it is also a great car.

cota348 01-30-2008 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by DOMIT (Post 4128607)
Ahhh... the weekly can of worms... you're going to get sooooooo many different opinions here.

I'll just post a couple of general tips:

1) Stay away from RTR cars. You'll spend more in the long run.

2) What can you find parts for locally? What are the local guys running?

There are a huge number of "top level" buggies out there... any of them would make a good vehicle for you. If you are comfortable driving a 1/10 scale 2wd, there isn't anything out there that you will find to be hard to drive, so let me jump right in and say Losi 8ight... it is more nimble and responsive than just about anything you can get, BUT, a lot of folks say it is hard to drive. Well, for a 4wd buggy, maybe it is... but compared to a 2wd 1/10 scale truck... it will be stable and forgiving. Also the Associated RC8 is a very nimble, responsive car.

As DOMIT said, you are going to get a lot of opinions, all of them are good opinions.

Just a note, when we mention RTR, it does not include race rollers. Although you should go over the car anyway

rescuemann 01-30-2008 10:52 AM

Thanks for the information. Dom you are great. Thanks for the information dude.

rezenclowd3 01-30-2008 10:57 AM

Domit is right about the Losi...as long as you stay on top of maintenance your golden, and fortunately parts are a respectable price. I love my Losi, and I liked driving a members MBX5R, but I am one to stick with a vehicle to learn how to drive it, not switch vehicles till I find one that suits my driving "style" A good driver is a smooth driver regardless of chassis.