R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 1st Nitro car choice of two, can't decide

I am looking at buying my first nitro car and can't really decide on what to get. I have narrowed down my selection to one of two vehicles being sold by members here as they are a bit cheaper than new.

The first is a Thunder Tiger ST-1 RTR kit. I normally don't like RTRs, but since this is my first venture, I figure it may be best to mess around with something that would be cheap to fix. If I mess the engine up and am only screwing with <$100 vs a $200+ engine. Plus, if I do get new radio, I can replace what is there and still be ok. The vehicle is brand new.

Second vehicle is a Jammin X1 FTE. This one is used, but looks to be in perfect shape with many new parts. Cost for the roller alone is slightly more than the Thunder Tiger and I will still need to add a motor and radio. The upside of this one is that it is race ready and there are lots of parts sources available as well as help if I need it. the downside is that I'd need a motor, pipe, radio, and all the other misc stuff. (not sure if I would buy clutch seperate or what)

My dilemma is that I want something I can run at the track on Saturday and to be honest I really like the buggy look better BUT starting out in nitro has me worried that I'll just ruin an expensive car and be left with an even larger parts bill. (plus initial cost for the Jammin will be about $300 more than the Thunder Tiger) I'm leaning toward the Thunder Tiger simply so that I can have a cheaper learning experience.

Wondering what you guys all think?

-Mike
MikeInCtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Hmmm... ok... I don't know anything about the Thundertiger. I've seen them a couple of times, never driven them, don't know how well they drive or how durable they are. I have talked to a couple of folks that have them and like them.

However, you aren't comparing apples to apples. There is also a Jammin RTR. Compare THAT to the Thundertiger RTR.

And I know the Jammin is a competitive car...

Here's the deal:

1) Servos in the RTR versions are almost always weak and slow. Not only do they not perform, they fail very rapidly. Add $150-250 right off the bat for better servos. You'll need them sooner than you think.

2) Engines in the RTR versions are both not as good as a race engine, and not class legal because they are larger than .21. For just over $100 you can get the Go economy 3-port... class legal .21, and not a bad engine for the price.

3) Is there local parts availability for the Thundertiger? If so, it might be ok. If not, well, is there local parts availability for the Jammin? It is a real letdown to break something and then have to wait a week or 2 to get it when you are racing.

Just remember, RTR stands for "Ready To Replace." Replace the engine, replace the servos, replace the radio (although some are coming with half decent radios now.)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Have you considered the Associated RC8 RS or the Team Losi 8ight RTR? These buggies are both really competitive right out of the box... I do have to agree with DOMIT that you will end up replacing several key components on a RTR car, like engine & electric/servos....
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
Team Losi 8ight RTR?
This would be my choice for a RTR. The 2.4Ghz alone.
HobbyWing
Hyperion
SUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I appreciate the advice so far, but as I said, these were from members and the cars were significantly cheaper than new. I certainly do not want to spend $600+ on an RTR. I also realize I am not comparing apples to apples in that one is a truggy and the other a buggy. What I am trying to do is decide what would best suit a beginner for a low price. The Thunder Tiger is less than $300 and the Jammin is about $300, but I need to add motor and radio w/servos to the Jammin. If I do that, I am at the cost of the RTR Losi, but I have the FTE version and what could possibly be a better radio and engine.

I'm really starting to think the TT is the best bet because I have heard they are tough, but as I said in my first post, I can afford to mess up something cheap that sells on eBay for next to nothing while learning. I can't afford to keep messing up new engines from the hobby shop.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I would also go with the thunder tiger, lots of truggy for under $300. I have never driven one either but have seen them and they look pretty good. Plan on replacing tires and servos. But I don't think you will have to replace the engine. I have heard that the thunder tiger .28 is a good engine. Just get the tires that are right for your track, you are racing right?
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I vote Jammin FTE. But have you looked into the Hyper 8.5? Also the Hyper 8 now comes with the conversion to the 8.5 and it's an RTR for around $450. Check out nitrohouse.com and look at their prices.
Bad Dog Rc
www.baddogrc.com
www.speedtechrc.com
My rides

Jammin CRT.5 w/ OS .12 TZP 5
Team Losi 8ight-T w/ Ninja JX .21
stiffler297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

I would go with the jammin. But I would also check to see what you local hobby shop supports, because no matter which car you choose , at some time will need to buy parts for it.
Steve Torrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

My advice is 1/10scale much better skills developed for racing, 2wd is more than just point and shoot
nitrohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead1 View Post
My advice is 1/10scale much better skills developed for racing, 2wd is more than just point and shoot
+1
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead1 View Post
I appreciate the concern, but 1/10 only works if there are others also running them. Otherwise it is a big waste of my money and time. I've been to several local hobby shops and they all tell me at least 85% is 1/8 nitro. I've also stopped at the indoor track here at least three weekends and have yet to see anything but 1/8 nitro on the track. In fact, when looking at the jomps and other track features, I'm not sure it was built for 1/10th.

Besides, I tend to take things in bigger steps and I pick up stuff quick.

Ayway, I think the Thunder Tiger may be sold, so I could wind up with the Jammin buggy anyway. If that's the case, I'll be spending a bit more, but I know I'll have something I can run locally and won't be "ready to replace"
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I don't know if you have seen the sportwerks turmoil, it is not as good as the jammin but amainhobbies has them as rollers for $189.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Cool

i like mine and cant complain, they turn on a dime and have more than enough track adjustments and have capture pins no e clips. now remember for an outdated truggy that came out in 2006 it hase alot of what the more expencive truggys have now, food for thought

jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #14
Tech Adept

did i mention that the 8t rims fix on there nicely with panther tires
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Ok, more food for thought. Truggies are (in general) faster AND easier to drive than buggies. (they have tons of traction, unlike the buggies.)

I can't see where either of those would be a BAD choice... get what you like, and what you can find parts for locally.

Brad
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote