R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default Only 3 Screws on engine backplate

Crap, I just broke in my Novarossi RX21P5T and while disassembling it, i broke one of the screw that holds the backplate! The thread is stuck in the crankcase, can anyone suggest how to get it out? Also, is it ok to run with just 3 screws securing the backplate? Thanks guys!

p/s: italian engines are getting overrated

Last edited by razor_clawzz; 01-27-2008 at 02:01 AM.
razor_clawzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

drill a hole in the screw and put a screw extractor in it and pull it out. if it is really stuck, heat the engine up first with a heat gun
davo798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo798 View Post
drill a hole in the screw and put a screw extractor in it and pull it out. if it is really stuck, heat the engine up first with a heat gun
hmm...."screw extractor"....I have yet to see nor heard of such tool before Anyway I'll ask the hardware store. Thanks mate!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_clawzz View Post
hmm...."screw extractor"....I have yet to see nor heard of such tool before Anyway I'll ask the hardware store. Thanks mate!
looks somewhat similar to a tap but without the treads. you drill the hole in the screw like he said and then you tap the extractor into the hole lightly with a hammer and then you turn that as an extension of the screw. must be very very careful with both the drilling and the extracting at that small of a scale screw tho. if it was me i would just run 3 screws and rtv around the seal and just check the 3 screws frequently. but again thats just me...i dont have the patience for trying to get a screw out that small
Brooksphotodesign.net
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
looks somewhat similar to a tap but without the treads. you drill the hole in the screw like he said and then you tap the extractor into the hole lightly with a hammer and then you turn that as an extension of the screw. must be very very careful with both the drilling and the extracting at that small of a scale screw tho. if it was me i would just run 3 screws and rtv around the seal and just check the 3 screws frequently. but again thats just me...i dont have the patience for trying to get a screw out that small
Thanks man, I did a search on google just minutes ago. There was a time I had a broken kingpin with it's thred stuck in the knuckle, it was easy to do since it's 4mm in diameter. What I did was used the smallest dremel bit and cut a slot, and used a flat head screw driver to take it out. Now it's 2.5mm.... Not too sure about that. ANyway, do you guys seal up your engine? I have the itch to seal the backplate with 2 part epoxy
Old 01-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

use some high temp RTV seal. its a rubber gasket material.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_clawzz View Post
. ANyway, do you guys seal up your engine? I have the itch to seal the backplate with 2 part epoxy
.........Permatex Ultra Copper...is oxygen sensor safe......will not cause corrosion in engine.......
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

no you cant run with 3 screws
if its sticking out far enough you can try and use pliers to get it out
Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you got the screw out, I have replacements.

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to amboy33

I had a nova plus 21-5T that came with a bad set of screws in the backplate, I snaped one off and ran it with three screw for about 2 months of racing, never had a problem. Then another one snapped!! so I only had two opposite corner screws holding on the backplate, believe it or not, I ran it like that for the remainder of the season without a single issue, no seal or nothing. So I say run it . There are some weak screws out there, I wasnt cranking them down extremeley tight either, just snug then another quarter turn. Ive owned many nova's in the past and had never had an issue with broken screws untill this one, just a bad batch of screws.
amboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amboy33 View Post
I had a nova plus 21-5T that came with a bad set of screws in the backplate, I snaped one off and ran it with three screw for about 2 months of racing, never had a problem. Then another one snapped!! so I only had two opposite corner screws holding on the backplate, believe it or not, I ran it like that for the remainder of the season without a single issue, no seal or nothing. So I say run it . There are some weak screws out there, I wasnt cranking them down extremeley tight either, just snug then another quarter turn. Ive owned many nova's in the past and had never had an issue with broken screws untill this one, just a bad batch of screws.
Wow! That's awesome! Of course, i can't stop from being a paranoid that the uneven force distributed at the backplate actually affects the performance. Yeah, I think we got the bad batch man....I was really shocked that this could happen to a reputable engine Again, being able to run for the number of seasons you mentioned seems spectacular

TonyScrews, thanks for your offer, i highly appreciate your attention
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonysScrews View Post
If you got the screw out, I have replacements.

Best regards,

CLASSIC