Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go... >

HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by badKarma
ok, 2wd stadium truck seems like the way to go because of the price too...but what do yall think AE GT2 or Losi XXXNT? i like the looks of the Losi, how does it perform? how hard are parts to get for it? why the GT2 over the losi?

I have been running the GT2 since it was released and I think it is the best gas truck out there. I have seen the GT2 last the long mains and seen some Losi fall about during the race. I say go for the GT2.

Both AE and Losi parts are available at Pit Stop Hobbies. Tires that work at Pit Stop Hobbies are Hole Shots, Double Dees, and some Losi Red tires.

I am also the ROAR Region Director for your area so I know all the tracks in our area.

Drop me a line.

Kevin Boyle
Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't know what scale you want to stick with, but I am in the same boat as you. I have been told and recommended a Thunder Tiger ST-1 RTR. They are $299 at A-main currently and have everything. The parts are cheap and upgradeable and from what I hear they are pretty tough compared to other brands. Many race them at their local tracks (or at least claim to) and say they handle well.

Plus, a larger car is more awesome to a kid and if he wants to go to the local ball park to run, it will go through grass and stuff a lot easier.

I last ran R/C cars maybe 20 years ago and wanted to get back in for me and my son. I thought 1/10 electric until i found out that most everyone now races 1/8 gas. My kid won't be able to run the vehicle on the patio at the apartments, but we'll be able to walk down the street and run it at the high school. Plus, the 1/8 is a lot bigger and I think will be more enjoyable for him.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Regular

I don't know what scale you want to stick with, but I am in the same boat as you. I have been told and recommended a Thunder Tiger ST-1 RTR. They are $299 at A-main currently and have everything. The parts are cheap and upgradeable and from what I hear they are pretty tough compared to other brands. Many race them at their local tracks (or at least claim to) and say they handle well.

Plus, a larger car is more awesome to a kid and if he wants to go to the local ball park to run, it will go through grass and stuff a lot easier.

I last ran R/C cars maybe 20 years ago and wanted to get back in for me and my son. I thought 1/10 electric until i found out that most everyone now races 1/8 gas. My kid won't be able to run the vehicle on the patio at the apartments, but we'll be able to walk down the street and run it at the high school. Plus, the 1/8 is a lot bigger and I think will be more enjoyable for him.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, here are my thoughts on this.

1) 1/10 scale 2wd are a lot harder to drive. They are NOT forgiving. You said you wanted to stay away from buggies... but the little gas trucks are even harder to drive for a beginner.

2) 1/10 scale doesn't have a lot of racers, and hence not a lot of opportunity TO race.

3) While the 1/10 scale is less expensive overall, they are also more fragile. Parts cost less but break more often. It's a trade-off.

I think the folks warning you away from truggies have the wrong idea. Truggies are faster than buggies... but easier to drive. Lots of traction!

They are also TOUGH. I would say a truggy is the right choice for a first vehicle... easier to drive and tougher than a REVO, and faster.

As for the RTR vehicles... keep in mind that you will be upgrading servos VERY soon, better budget for that. There are other small things too, but that is the biggest upgrade. The servos in RTR vehicles are (in general) weak, and fail very rapidly. In fact... if you buy an RTR, you might as well just go ahead and buy good servos at the same time. In my old OFNA RTR, my throttle servo lasted less than 30 minutes. The steering servo actually made it a whole day...

This isn't to say you have to go out and buy a top-of-the-line pro car to begin with... but don't buy the cheapest thing you can find either. It is "false economy," it will cost you more in the long run, plus lead to a lot of frustration.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My personal experience.

It appears you are wanting to buy new.

I wanted to get into Nitro again after a LONG break.

Revo's just take to much time and money from what i have learned. And the same SOMEWHAT goes for RTR truggies. BUT you will spend MUCH MUCH more getting a revo up to where it needs to be.

That said i vote RTR Truggy all the way.

The losi is a great truck, but less forgiving. And not the best platform for a begginner.

IF you have sometime and the truck proves its self the new OCM RTR truggy should be good from what is being "said"

IF part availabilty in your area is possible or you can get what you need ahead of time. The Cen Matrix TR. Seems like a good starting platform. I would also not pass the JAMMIN RTR up either.

Personally i bought a basically RTR jammin pro off a local racer. I know it works cause it was bought local. And it has everything it needs.

My vote.

OCM RTR "IF" it has as good release
Matrix TR
Jammin RTR.

But my Best Advice, go to your track and buy somewhat out who is getting ready for 08.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just buy him a rtr right now and then see how serious he is and how much he really likes r/c's.if he shows dedication then later go ahead and buy him a real racer!its ok to start him off small ,so you wont have to spend major bucks right now!just make sure what you buy him you will be able to buy parts at your lhs!its better not to spend too much now rather than having a racer sitting and not being used!you can buy a rtr nitro cheap ,new,and let him see how he likes/dislikes.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Find out what are the most popular classes at your local track and stick with that. It sucks to the spend money and then have a dying class on your hands. That happened to me in both onroad and offroad. Truggies and buggies are strongest in my region, but that changes from place to place. Buggies have been around the longest and are stronger then ever. Truggies are making a good showing now and stand a chance at being around for a long time. Once you are sure about what class you want to run in, then buy an RTR for that class.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

We are fortunate enough to live within walking distance to the late So Cal Raceway (Indoor on and off road facility). We visited many times and observed what were the most popular buggy, truck , cars running and what were the availability of parts. I started my son out with a B4 RTR and went from there. Buggy ran good, kid ran it, broke it, I fixed it, he broke it, I fixed it...etc. He learned alot real quick. Next was a B4 for me so I could run with him. Next came a Losi XX4 which he loved (fragile buggy and expensive). Then came an on-road TC3 (FUN!!)

When talk of SoCal closing occured, we ventured out to Revelations Raceway (1/8 gas track). Kid was excited about the nitro. We sold all the electrics and made the switch over with a Losi 8ight RTR Buggy. Upgraded when parts broke (Not many break), they wear out before they break. He loves the 1/8 scale buggy. He races 2-3 times a month now, not the best but consistant. All of this started 18 months ago when he was 4 1/2 years old.

My 2 cents- Choose a car, buggy, truck etc that can be run and or raced and be some what competitive (there are decent RTR's that are easy to upgrade when parts break). Choose one that parts are easily and readily accessible!! But the main things are HAVE PATIENCE AND HAVE FUN!!!!

Chuck
Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default best rtr

well i would suggest the hyper 8 rtr which now will come with a upgrade kit to convert the rtr to an 8.5 spec
Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Ok, here are my thoughts on this.

1) 1/10 scale 2wd are a lot harder to drive. They are NOT forgiving. You said you wanted to stay away from buggies... but the little gas trucks are even harder to drive for a beginner.

2) 1/10 scale doesn't have a lot of racers, and hence not a lot of opportunity TO race.

3) While the 1/10 scale is less expensive overall, they are also more fragile. Parts cost less but break more often. It's a trade-off.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!
I think it depends on the tack. If you race on 1/8th scale track then yes a 10th scale truck will not hold up. If you race on a track the can run both classes you should be OK. The only reason a 10th scale will break is if the jumps are not for 10th scale.

Also a 10th scale gas truck will teach his son how to drive when the traction is low. Can you define forgiving????? I think it will depends on the set upon the gas truck and how they tune the clutch and slipper. I have seen many people over tighten the slipper and the truck is like an on and off switch.

I think if he takes a trip to Pit Stop Hobbies he will enjoy the family atmosphere and the people are willing to help out with the truck set up. The radio can also be tweaked to keep the truck from wheel spin.

I am sorry to say that I feel a Truggy will not teach this young man the ropes,

Later
Kevin Boyle

Last edited by Kevin Boyle; 01-28-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

whats the turn out and Pit Stop Hobbies? is the track geared for 1/10th gas truck or 1/8th truggy?