R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default mbx5r vs. losi 8

I have been running a losi 8 but really miss my mugen. can i get some of yalls opinions on which one of these are better? thanks
-nitrotane fuels-
wotracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to dgraham225

I say the mbx5r is better just for the simple fact that I have one for sale and I think you should buy it, lol!

No, really I think the losi is more of a drivers car than the mugen, but the mugen is so much more forgiving in awkward predicaments.... Its really the users choice, drive both and check your times, see which one is better for you...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Tech Regular

I sold my losi for a mbx5r

and i dont regret it 1 bit,

Im faster, more consistent with the mugen

and

The car itself has proved more reliable - I used the losi for nearly 2 gallons in that time i changed:

Shock shafts x 3
front arms x 2 (this was due to wear and the amount of play they had)
front cvd wore out (pin that goes into the diff cup)
I also went through 3 hinge pins

Mugen is over 2 gallons now and ive not replaced anything it all looks new

Not saying the losi is a bad car far from its very nice to drive and fly's like a dart just wasnt for me ive always been a mugenite at heart
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotracing1 View Post
I have been running a losi 8 but really miss my mugen. can i get some of yalls opinions on which one of these are better? thanks

You've already owned both cars , and your asking which is better for you?
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How long have you been running it?
Give it some time.
My buddy went from a mugen to a losi.
Then he sold the losi and went with a mugen again.
He just sold it and got another losi again.
You might want to drive an AE car too.. He drove mine the day he got his losi put together and said it would've made the choice alot tougher for him..
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

I owned a mbx5 prospec not an mbx5r. i should've been more specific. sry bout that. i just wanted to get some peoples opinions between the two. i appreciate the ones who have voiced their opinions. would still like to get more. thanks
-nitrotane fuels-
wotracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotracing1 View Post
I owned a mbx5 prospec not an mbx5r. i should've been more specific. sry bout that. i just wanted to get some peoples opinions between the two. i appreciate the ones who have voiced their opinions. would still like to get more. thanks
I'll find my buddies screenname here and you can PM him. The first switch he went from was the prospec. The last one recently was the 5R. I think he liked the Prospec better. Have to ask him. I'll just send him a link to this thread.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I've owned both, the Mugen was easier to drive, but I had some really bad luck with mine ( 5 broken arms in the 2 months I owned it). I bought it because I had owned an rr, xr, 2 standard x5's, and had very good luck with them.

The 5r has better shocks, and the overall quality ( tighter tolerances) seemed a bit better than the other Mugens I owned. However, the threaded hinge pins were a pain in the ass when it came time to change an arm.

The Losi is not for everyone. It's twitchy and has to be driven slow to be fast. Overall durability is lower than some other cars as well, and parts wear out quick ( just read the many posts on it).

I know the rc8 has had it's share of problems, but at least AE acknowledges the problems and are willing to fix them.

Another thing to consider, at least with the AE car, is that by the time you do work the bugs out and get a good setup on it, you won't have to worry about a new car coming out. AND, hobby shops won't be afraid to carry parts for it since history has shown that AE keeps the current platform for a few years. Which helps resale value too.

Just my $.03
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think I'm the wishy washy guy JBrow is refering to above.

Had the regular prospec, then the R, then the Eight, then the R and now I have the Eight again.

The Mugen is a great car, you can run it to death and not have to worry about anything. But the Losi I feel handles a little better. It accelerates very well and holds a tight, fast line through corners, much better I feel than the Mugen. It's a toss up. If you maintain your stuff and watch it well, then I say Losi. If you want something you can run from sun up to sun down, then I say the Mugen for ya.

I drove the RC8 the other day for the first time and must admit that JBrows car is really hooked up and is easy to drive fast. Only time will tell on the dependability of it...

It's like buying a new motocross bike. They are give and take in differences but when it really comes down to it, it's just a choice of color of the bike...
cwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #10

I think the Mugen is a much better beginners car, easier to drive and they seem to wear better... the losi is perhaps a slightly better racers car although both can be quick.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i think it depends what you want. both can win one REQUIRES more new parts but if you are a real nit picker you might change parts anyway. neither is bad just KNOW what you are getting into. An R is a far better rough track car than a prospec though not even close.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

tough choice... the losi is VERY fast but so is the Mugen. Mugen you can driver a little harder IMO.

Losi does become slop master very fast. I would agree that it is a tough choice.

I would say wheel a RC8 if you can, its like a good middle ground between those two cars.

Sponsors:
GO TECH ENGINES (Factory Team) | VP Pro (Factory Team) | EB MODS (Factory Team) | RICHES BREW FUEL | COMPETITION PRODUCTS
TMizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to 8IGHT-TMAN

By what this guys say i think u need to go with the mugen i have seen first hand how u drive and ur gonna need a tough buggy.
8IGHT-TMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IGHT-TMAN View Post
By what this guys say i think u need to go with the mugen i have seen first hand how u drive and ur gonna need a tough buggy.
Well I guess they made your decision for ya!
I will say that the Mugen does have better wear & tear over the Losi.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I might be able to give some help on this topic. 1 year ago I got into 1/8th scale after racing electrics. The only 2 buggies I've owned and or driven is the 8ight and the MBX5R, so I'm pretty much a clean slate for buggies other than these two.

My 8ight was a RTR but I replaced the Mach 427 with a Novarossi 21 plus 5. The chassis and shock towers were about all that remained of the RTR when I was finished.

My MBX5R also uses the same Novarossi.

First and foremost the 8ight wears MUCH quicker than the Mugen. I had about 4 gallons on the 8ight when I sold it and everything was extremely loose. Actually after about a gallon things were getting loose. My Mugen has about 2 gallons on it and there is almost no sign of wear, everything is tight and the only wear I can see is that one of the driveshaft dogbones is slightly beginning to wear.

The 8ights shocks were leaky and I had the infamous throttle servo issues, 2 burnt for mine and 7 for my buddy's 8ight. Please don't anyone jump in here and say it's setup because we tried EVERYTHING to get the throttle servo setup correctly and we still burnt them.

Driving.....They are both fast but different. The 8ight is a little more nimble but twitchy, it will punish you for a small mistake. It will hold a turn a little better and accelerate slightly better. For me the Mugen is just smoother. I can get on the throttle quicker, and it's more forgiving. I feel the Mugen will turn inside the 8ight especially off power but this may just be in my setup. I turn more consistant and quicker laps overall with the Mugen.

I will say the Mugen instruction manual sucks and the 8ight is very good. Also the Mugen stock setup needed some changes to drive its best where the 8ight is competitive with the stock setup.

There's alot more but I'm tired of writing.
KyJoe340 is offline   Reply With Quote