R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I have the opposite experience with KyJoe. I've had a MBX5 Prospec and Losi. The Mugen is MUCH more forgiving... but it doesn't corner nearly as well. Unless you can toss a Mugen into the corner and MAKE it rotate, it doesn't corner as well... some drivers can do that. I can't. I like the Losi.

The Mugen is easier to drive. The Losi is easier to drive fast. The Mugen will let you get away with little mistakes. The Losi will bite you.

I'm faster with the Losi, because it turns in better and holds a line better... but at the expense of being twitchy and unstable. I messed up less with the Mugen... but with the Losi I can slow down, not work as hard, and be faster.

So... do you want stable and forgiving, or fast but twitchy? Your call. These 2 cars are the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum for "pro level" cars. BOTH are great cars, but you couldn't pick 2 that are more different.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I was going to edit the previous post, but decided just to add another one...

I am NOT saying the Losi is a better car than the Mugen. All the comments about it requiring you to maintain it more, and about it getting "sloppy" faster are very true. I AM saying I like the Losi better, and that it is easier for me to be fast with. It is a handful to drive, it is NOT forgiving in any sense of the word.

I'm not a good driver. I'm a really, REALLY bad driver. I could push the Mugen harder without as much difficulty. The Losi will get away from you in half a heartbeat if you push it too hard. I still like the Losi better, it is fun to drive, and faster if you stay calm and relaxed. (Hard to do in a race!)

The Mugen guys are faster than me... the Kyosho guys are faster than me... the other Losi guys are faster than me... but going side-by-side down the straight, I could out-accelerate the Mugens, go deeper into the corner, and still turn inside them. (They'd just spank me the rest of the time. That's lack of skill on my part, not a reflection on the car.)

Buy what suits your style. Then, stick with it for at least a few months and get used to it, don't just get frustrated and change for the sake of change.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

On a Mugen, you have to push or make it do what you want. You have to get aggressive with it and it will get faster. On the Losi, it the opposite. It will do everthing and you need to tame it down or bring it in line to what you want it to do. Thats the difference between the two.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #19
Tech Addict

RC8... in the middle of both.

Sponsors:
GO TECH ENGINES (Factory Team) | VP Pro (Factory Team) | EB MODS (Factory Team) | RICHES BREW FUEL | COMPETITION PRODUCTS
TMizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I was going to edit the previous post, but decided just to add another one...

I am NOT saying the Losi is a better car than the Mugen. All the comments about it requiring you to maintain it more, and about it getting "sloppy" faster are very true. I AM saying I like the Losi better, and that it is easier for me to be fast with. It is a handful to drive, it is NOT forgiving in any sense of the word.

I'm not a good driver. I'm a really, REALLY bad driver. I could push the Mugen harder without as much difficulty. The Losi will get away from you in half a heartbeat if you push it too hard. I still like the Losi better, it is fun to drive, and faster if you stay calm and relaxed. (Hard to do in a race!)

The Mugen guys are faster than me... the Kyosho guys are faster than me... the other Losi guys are faster than me... but going side-by-side down the straight, I could out-accelerate the Mugens, go deeper into the corner, and still turn inside them. (They'd just spank me the rest of the time. That's lack of skill on my part, not a reflection on the car.)

Buy what suits your style. Then, stick with it for at least a few months and get used to it, don't just get frustrated and change for the sake of change.
Well said DOMIT but remember the 5R is a much better buggy than the older Prospec... i still believe the Moogan to be a better beginners car but both are very good.

The Losi jumps, accellerates and turns better than the mugen but is unforgiving to drive.

The Mugen handles better, is better on a rough track and wears better, I think the extra weight of the Mugen helps with handling.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMizzle View Post
RC8... in the middle of both.
As far as handling goes yes....however the metals seem quite poor.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
As far as handling goes yes....however the metals seem quite poor.
Yes I tend to agree here, very innovative and a good design but quality seems to let it down, it does not look like a Factory Team Associated to me.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can lighten up a mugen pretty easy though and not effect durability and or wear as long as you know what you can switch. light weight pillow balls and light weight screws and hinge pins, lipo pacK and some gear machining can make it rival the other cars in weight. if you put lead weights in the 8ight like some do i would venture to say the cars would easily be within .25 of a lb of eachother.that is only if weight is a main concern. the 2 team drivers i know dont lighten their cars like i have and they still seem too woop up on me .
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #24
Tech Adept

i have had two 8's and i've gone back to the mbx5r both times. its just a more solid buggy that is easier to drive and easier to drive hard. I lightend min with titanium upper and lower screws and mugen lightweight pillowballs.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #25
Tech Addict

you spend your money and take your chance, generally though thats all you will buy with the Mugen (the kit)
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote