R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default GRP engines team

hey all:WOW looks like GRP is realy trying to make a splash with their new engine line by signing a great list of team drivers for the 2008 season such as ryan mayfield,travis amezcua,jesse robbers,jason ashton,yannick aigion to name a few.Looks like other companies like picco,o.s.,nova rossi,rb concepts,ninja among others need to step up to compete especialy with the 1/8th nitro buggy worlds coming in 2008.Finally will any of the new grp team members be switching to their tires as well?Just my thoughts thanks.
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pistolpete

Ninja is GRP.
pistolpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
Ninja is GRP.
GRP made the NINJA for Mugen. The NINJA name belongs to Mugen though. The GRP engine line will be distributed by Horizon I believe under a new name.
Jeff Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Jeff Ford??? Isn't he the notorious leader of the Chicago-based "Stones" gang? I thought he was still in prison. Saw it on The History Channel...
Merlin Glow Plugs www.merlinglowplugs.com
Vantage Racing www.vantageracing.com
Mods by Rocket Ray! email: CowboyRa@sbcglobal.net
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

then how is he on rctech???
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

its amazing what can happen when you dump a crap load of money on drivers you might have a crappy product but everyone will see it !!! not saying that they are crappy but i know ninjas were a lil subpar in quality
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
its amazing what can happen when you dump a crap load of money on drivers you might have a crappy product but everyone will see it !!! not saying that they are crappy but i know ninjas were a lil subpar in quality
wow more product bashing out of houston???

TEAM OCM USA
TEAM GO TECH
TEAM PRO TWISTER MODS
TEAM VP PRO TIRES

OCM RACING DT-19 EVO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED

OCM RACING DT-19T PRO, GO TECH ENGINES PTM'ED
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Hey, I guess they are going on their own efforts to get engines out there. Need to push out more engines with no parts I guess!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Hey, I guess they are going on their own efforts to get engines out there. Need to push out more engines with no parts I guess!

There is no new line just a name added and a new head colour they are the same as the ninja ,boss and falcon engines maybe just a little difference in port timing thats all .

It funny though as most drivers around the world that use the ninja and boss and falcon engines are using a novarossi crank to make the engines work funny that it does work .

Maybe Grp need to buy crankshafts from Novarossi .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Rc_Boy89

if their line of engines are anything like the ninjas, I dont wanna know about them

Kyosho STRR / OS Speed
Mugen MTX-4R / RB Speedline Matrix
Jammin CRT.5 / Sirio STI
Rc_Boy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
wow more product bashing out of houston???
not bashing , just stating that the ninja line of engines had major problems !!

monty

!!
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM

Last edited by houston; 01-21-2008 at 04:17 PM.
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had no problem running the B01 .21 Ninja in my MBX5 or MBX5T. I also know quite a few other guys that have ran the Ninja motors and have had great success. One guy has over 13 gallons on his motor. I do know a few guys that have had problems as well, but everyone of them did not add an extra shim on their motor as I told them to. The upper rod is not bushed and with most 30% nitro fuels have a margin of error for exact nitro percentage, any possibilty of detonation will destroy these motors. All of the guys that had problems threw the rod. One guy I know snapped the crank but later he admitted as to how his user error caused the breakage. But Mugen replaced the crank free of charge. On the B01A they updated the crank (hardening process changed), switched to another supplier for the front bearing (some guys B01's leaked at the front bearing) and they also changed the coating on the piston.

Power wise they run good. They don't make as much bottom end as a P5 or V-Spec, but they are very smooth and pull up top. But as for run time, nothing I've ever seen comes close. The run times are insane with the Ninja.

I still like my old 2004 Novarossi P5's (especially the EB Mod with 321 on-road weighted crank), but the Ninja is not a piece of junk in my opinion. I had a Ninja .28 but just sold it (too much power for the truggy) and my .21 Ninja has been retired. I'm not sure what I'm getting next???

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

I can say, the Ninjas do have good run time and they can last quite long. Break in takes longer than Nova & V Spec. Seems to be like the Axe Rossis. The build quality is very good. They do seem to lack some of power that I can get out of the Nova and Axe Rossis. My cobra pulled away from it when it ran in a truggy. The sleeves are a bit straight cut and raw. They really don't have any chamfers cut into the ports. I guess the next series maybe reworked a bit.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #14
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=houston;4099415]not bashing , just stating that the ninja line of engines had major problems and now they are trying to build an engine empire out of sub par equ.!!
ask truhe how he liked his first race with the grp engines ? havent talked to him yet ,since he isn't back from crcrc race yet . i am pretty sure that they are made at the factory where rossi engines come from and possibly designed by the same engineer (not novarossi either)

I spoke to Federico the Novarossi Team General Manager last week and he didnt even know that mike and travis signed to GRP the first time he heard about it was through me .

He was shocked but stated that life goes on and we are now looking for the young and flexible to take on for sponsorships .

I was offered the distributorship for Grp in Australia for engines and tyres but i refused it because first im linked to Novarossi and they consider me part of there family second of all i didnt want the headache with a mechanical product that is not proven as yet .I witnessed first hand what happened to the sirio distributor in Australia when things went wrong he shut shop .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
There is no new line just a name added and a new head colour they are the same as the ninja ,boss and falcon engines maybe just a little difference in port timing thats all .
Quite incorrect - new name, new brand, and different engine, above all different power. Many engines nowadays are very similar... Depends how you class "difference" from one person to another.
I dont think its fair to undermine the engines before they are even widely released.

Nova is going through a tough patch, but I have full confidence Federico has the knowledge and ability to return Nova to success in the long term future.
Philipm is offline   Reply With Quote