R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #46
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i may snaggle my buddies 21-7 for the next time I run a clay track, my driving skill is no match for my engine modding skills and i was more of a weapon on the track rather then a racer..... A hand cut re-timed OS 28 is not a suitable engine for my skill on a clay track... It was terrible for me to say the least..... The guys who I sponsor had no issues running my mills, but i was in way over my head LOL !!!!! I may personally like the Nova's for being controllable LOL ! so as i say when I have personal track time with a stocker I will give more feedback...then when I modify I am sure I can create a motor with not only better output and idle stability but also increased power output....the weighted crank should keep the motor in check even when modded, so it should still retain the smooth low end delivery with a more intense mid and top end rush... SHould stay hooked up even on loose tracks...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

As it is right now, the 367 seems to be overkill in my 8ight. I'll probably drop it into my WC and then try some other part changes. I may remove the carter backplate for a normal milled out one. The backplate leaves almost zero room behind the crank for any flow to the sleeve. The double tungsten crank I ran made it very smooth. Throttle response was very quick. Will give it a go again this weekend with some more changes.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #48
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Talking

just for your knowledge veedub , i tried the milled out backplate and it does not work well at all !! creates too much volume in crankcase and floods the engine
later ,
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #49
Tech Elite

I just noticed that Novarossi changed the glowplugs. It used to come with five C7G glowplugs . Check the parts pdf now. It shows C6G glowplugs. Confirms what I heard last year, and is what I have been running since I got it.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #50
Tech Rookie

Hi, what pipes are you guys running with the 367?? I've heard the hong nor 2047 works well, has any one experienced this pipe with this motor?

cheers
rc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #51
Tech Elite

I have run 9901, 9853, & Ofna 086. Ran fine.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I just got back from the Silver State race and ran two 367's in my 8ight and 8ight T. I spent the better part of practice and the heats trying to get them to run right. My bad for not making sure they were broke in right before I left home. These are my first two Rossi's and the tuning can be a bit of a headache. I think I ended up with a 6TGC in the buggy and 5TGC in the truggy for the mains. Temps were around 220 to 245 on both and once I found the plug that worked no flame outs and the powerband was good all the way through. It was a clay track and throttle control was a must to keep a set of tires from wearing out too quick. Best motors I have run (owned or barrowed), though neither were stock as I like my motors modded out.
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #53
Tech Elite

Same here. You have to run #6c or #5c glowplugs. You also have to run them on the track hard just like when racing to get it tuned properly. Once thats done, they run fine.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Yeah I had a steep learning curve with the plugs. I compounded that even more by having both motors setup for the Turbo plugs and trying to finish the brake in at the track. What threw me off the most was the way Rossi makes their plugs. For what ever the reason they decided to make the standard and ultra gold plugs (for standard heads and turbo heads) with a F or C designation for each plug number they make. I was happy to get some much needed info from the Rossi Factory Tech's they sent over for the Team drivers on the plugs. Their English was good enough for me to follow, though they had a heavy Italian accent. Any other pipes that work well on these motors? Other than the 9901 and maybe a couple of other Rossi pipes. I have the JP 1, 2, and 3 pipes and a bunch of headers which is something new to me. Using headers as a tuning aid is something I haven't had to do much of in the past, but seems like alot of guys are doing now.
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #55
Tech Elite

I would say the 9886 or 9853 pipes will work the fine. Also the JP-3 pipe will fine also. The Nova pipes seem to squeeze the most power out of the engines. One pipe to try on the truggy is the 2032 torque pipe. As for the headers, I run either the short or medium ones. The long header seems to tame down the engine so it won't rev very quickly. My last run this weekend on my 367 with an Ofna 086 pipe set ran fine. Very quick throttle reaction and plenty of speed. Just keep the LSN needle adjusted correct, as most will run it too lean and flameout. Also stick to the gold glowplugs as this motor can be hard on plugs.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

oo
615-838-5373

Last edited by mugenb46; 03-12-2008 at 10:55 AM.
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #57
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Hull View Post
the 367 is not a good motor it cant last a race without flaming it will not hold a tune why do you think travis amezcua and mike thrue have left novarossi for grp
they are fast WHEN THEY RUN O.S speed is probally the best engine on the market and most prefered
My boss had the same problem for a couple months with ALL novarossi motors... from the P5 line to the 367's they would always flame out... I work really close to fusion and i ran down there to ask them about it... they said they had a small problem with the microcasting process. The piston and sleeve werent expanding at the same rate hence the loss in compression. That fixed most of the problems but they still werent up to standards and after further tinkering and comparing from the New novarossi motors vs some of my older ones. The wrist pins on some werent solid and they were installed backwards... I know it doesnt seem like much but it would seem fuel would sit in there at times and when we flipped the pins around we had no problems what so ever...

But im definatly bias'd because ive been a novarossi guy since Ron Perris.

i still have a Brand new motor sitting in the box mod'd by Mr Ron Perris. ^_^
mwry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
That entire article boiled down to what I & others said earlier. He didn't change the bearings at 2 gallons or didn't know when they are going bad (noisy engine). He let the rear bearing fall apart and then changed them. From then on, it would flameout. Sent it to Novarossi just to find out that he ruined the p/s set by letting the bearing fall apart. This will happen to any nitro engine, not just the 367.
To top this off, the upset customer did not even say if the air filter fell off, or if any dirt damage happened ( maybe he doesn't even know or ever knew to look!).

Anyways I'm willing to bet that if we were ever able to find out what really happened, I'd make a wager that dirt ingestion was 95+% for the cause of those bearings doing that. Thats what dirt does to bearings....I've seen bearings hold up pretty good under heat so I would expect if it was heat, then it would be in the 350+* range for a good bit.

Or.....I could be completely wrong and find out it was both....
7.5man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default all novarossi engine owners

hi to everyone here.

i am pretty keen on the 367 engine, but after i read this thread , it
seems not a great idea at all to get this novarossi 367 engine.

is it that tough to tune it right to preform well?
which engine to get if i were to buy a novarossi engine now?

rossii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #60
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

plus 21-5k is a great engine , just keep up on the bearings and it will last a looooong time
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote