R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Truggy info (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/200966-truggy-info.html)

dieseldog20 01-15-2008 02:50 PM

Truggy info

i am wanting to know anything and everything there is to know about truggy's. i am buying one off a guy on these forums and it is a really nice truck. looks race ready and all this stuff. i was just wanting to know the good bads and the worse things about truggy's and whats the best way to learn how to race truggy's real good. also set up and stuff like that. if you dont want to give out or secrets then thats all good with me ill just have to find my own. Any help would be great.

Thanks

:tire:

stiffler297 01-15-2008 03:05 PM

Try posting the question a little different. We need a little more information as to what type of truggy your buying and all the gear you have in it. Don't be so vague.

cota348 01-15-2008 04:20 PM

As stifler said you need to be more precise in your questioning for someone be able to help you.

My advice is that if you are new and that truggy has already been raced probably the setup will be too "nervous" for you. By "nervous" I mean, that it will turn too fast and maybe looses the rear of the car too much.

What you need to do is get it back to a more standard setup until you are "lap consistent" (do lap after lap about the same time) (practice) then you can go out and learn all about setups upgrades, etc.

There is word of wisdom in RC "more powerful does not equals faster laps" or if you want to be fast "you need to be fast in the slowest part of the track"

Going at it the other way, will probably confuse and frustrate you.

dieseldog20 01-16-2008 07:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
im new to truggy racing but not to racing rc. i understand what you guys are saying. i guess im just looking for like the "in's" and " of "outs" of truggy racing. What are the best transmitters to use. what i am going to hopefully be buying is a CEN Matrix TR Arena. There has been about 3/4 of a gallon ran through it. the steering servo needs to be replaced its not strong enough for th truck. im not to sure if the motor on it is the original TR.28 or something else. im really not to sure of what all has been done just the little facts that i have been emailed. i have pics of it i might be able to put on here. if there is anything you can tell me from these pics something would be helpful. like i said im not new to rc racing just the whole truggy seen. I have a tmaxx that i rc at a local track. i dont race in big compititions and stuff like that just small community races and stuff. but any help would be great if you need some more info just let me know and ill try to get some. Thanks for the help.

cota348 01-16-2008 09:29 AM

The transmitter, if you are experience in the RC, then you must know that you need a good radio, don't cut corners on this one.

The most important servo for the truggy is the directional, because it is a heavy truck and you need quite a torque to make the wheels turn, ACE, FUTABA and all the big brands make good ones.

The motor, you mentioned the .28 engine, if you take a look at what all the pros use, you will find that they run .21. More power does not mean faster, there is a point where you cann't control the truck.

The CEN truggy is a great one.

dieseldog20 01-16-2008 11:19 AM

on the servos and stuff should i get a fast servo for the throttle and a high tourqe for the sterring or whats the suggestion when it comes to that. on the motor what type of good glow plug woulf you consider for the .21 if it has one on it already or even the .28. if it has the .28 on it then i just might practice with that motor and then get a .21 so i dont do something stupid with the .21

cota348 01-16-2008 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldog20 (Post 4082400)
on the servos and stuff should i get a fast servo for the throttle and a high torque for the steering or whats the suggestion when it comes to that. on the motor what type of good glow plug woulf you consider for the .21 if it has one on it already or even the .28. if it has the .28 on it then i just might practice with that motor and then get a .21 so i dint do something stupid with the .21

Servos, for steering should be high torque like ACE http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5994 for throttle a lot of people uses the same servo but you are better of with a faster one like the http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5733 . I am showing these ACE servos because have good experience with them but KO, JR, Futaba make similar servos which are great too.

The plugs to use depends on the engine and your environment, (altitude and temperature) you need to ask what other are using.

About doing something stupid with the motor, sorry to tell you that everyone around at one time or another has done it, so unless you are very lucky you might have to go through it also LOL.

The .28 or .21 are about the same, just that usually the .28 has more power, great selling icon but when the times comes that you need to go around a track then it seems that the driver is fighting the car so it does what the wants. (common scene at the tracks every where).

Keep asking, one of us will get you the right answer.

dieseldog20 01-16-2008 02:28 PM

Here is a list of stuff that i will be getting form the guy. granted its not to helpful but its all i got to go by. im not too sure if the guy had it set up for racing or not. so is there any specifics on to what and how i should set it up. does it all have to do with the track style, jumps, turns and such or is it just a thing to were you try one setting and something aint right and you make your adjustment then or can you actually set it up to were you cqan use the same setting consistantly. I understand the tires are just based on the track. Before to long i will be getting a spectrum transmitter(would that be the best to get for it) i know it is a really good transmitter and but whats its downfalls besides just about everyone having one.

Cen Matrix Tr Arena RTR truggy, two bodies (the one you saw in the pics, and the stock one that is still brand new, I only cut out the holes for the fuel tank and engine) Skyion am digital radio, brand new set of wheels (still in plastic) glo plug, glo plug wrench, wheel wrench, battery pack, and manual.

dieseldog20 01-16-2008 02:32 PM

now with the throttle servo i was reading that you need to upgrade the power cell to be able to run the servo more eficiently. the truck comes with a hump pack not sure what size it is i just kow he changed it from the AA version to the hump pack.

crazy4wdracer 01-16-2008 05:49 PM

Four AA cells only put out 4.8volts, a hump pack puts out 6.0volts. With the hump pack you get more speed and torque out of your servos.

Robert.Hull 01-16-2008 06:00 PM

dieseldog--- its a very good truggy and very durable your gonna wanna get better servos for sure if the stock ones are in there (if you plan on racing)

i can tell you everything i know about truggies cause ill be here till next week typing theres alot to learn but its pretty much the easiest nitro off road car to drive (truggy) very fun

if you have any other questions on the matrix let me know and i will help you out;)

cota348 01-17-2008 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldog20 (Post 4083045)
Here is a list of stuff that i will be getting form the guy. granted its not to helpful but its all i got to go by. im not too sure if the guy had it set up for racing or not. so is there any specifics on to what and how i should set it up. does it all have to do with the track style, jumps, turns and such or is it just a thing to were you try one setting and something aint right and you make your adjustment then or can you actually set it up to were you cqan use the same setting consistantly. I understand the tires are just based on the track. Before to long i will be getting a spectrum transmitter(would that be the best to get for it) i know it is a really good transmitter and but whats its downfalls besides just about everyone having one.

Cen Matrix Tr Arena RTR truggy, two bodies (the one you saw in the pics, and the stock one that is still brand new, I only cut out the holes for the fuel tank and engine) Skyion am digital radio, brand new set of wheels (still in plastic) glo plug, glo plug wrench, wheel wrench, battery pack, and manual.

The radio is probably one of the most important upgrades that you will need to make, when you decide which one you want think of it as a purchase that should or will be with you for a while.

Once a driver gets used to a radio, is not very frequent that he will be willing to change for another one. This is the key for the success of the M11 or Futaba radios. These radios upgrades over time and the driver were able to get the latest technology with the same radio.

Your case is a little different since you are getting a new radio, so shop and ask around until you get the features and feeling (weight, balance) that you feel most comfortable.

Before I gave you some info about servos; the servos need power that comes from the Rx battery, the longer that you want or need to run the car at one time, then the more power you need.

If you are going to invest in batteries, chargers, etc. take a look at all possibilities, including Lipo. Lipo is a "new" technology, (new because is being adopted now) that in the long term might be cheaper than the standard Nimh.

Regarding tires and setup, they depend on the track you are going to race, and no matter what anyone of us tell you to use, you need to try it out and decide if it will work for you.

dieseldog20 01-17-2008 07:32 AM

i found out that the motor is the origanal motor and it only has 3/4 of a gallon through it with 20% and that was threw the break in prosses also. he said that he doesnt really now the power of the motor to well so that tells me that he hasnt raced it so the motor really hasnt seen its prime yet. should i get another motor now while this one is still fresh or just run this one for a while to get used to the power and what not.

dieseldog20 01-17-2008 07:41 AM

there was one other thing to... i was in the CEN matrix forum yesterday and i was reading that peolpe are changing out the LSD in the truck, or i think they are, nut anyhow they are changing the lube in the LSD to like grease and 80wt oil. i understand that this makes the car run alittle freely and smoother, but what are the other advantages to all this, and what are the disadvantages.

dieseldog20 01-17-2008 07:49 AM

the motor that is on it has a pull start also should i dich that or should i just get a good ignitor and hope for the best