Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When and how to pre heat a motor.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default When and how to pre heat a motor.....

Hey guys..

I have a RB with around a gallon or less throught it. (The motor that ate a few glow plugs). That bing said should I be pre heating the motor before starting it.

Using a heat gun what temp should the motor be pre heated to.

The motor is stil quite tight. I can not rottate it through the the compression stroke using my finger at the bottom of the buggy.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

2-5 minutes or about 180F. It really starts a lot easier like this.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you could use after run oil when you try to start it , or WD-40 would work too
Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pinky2252s

So put a few drops of after run in before I try to start it? Will I need to pre heat if using after run oil? The motor has about a gallon throught it..
Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

every rb engine i have ever owned took 1.1/4 to 11/2 to break loose i would run a little more fuel thru it in break in stage
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rhymster
every rb engine i have ever owned took 1.1/4 to 11/2 to break loose i would run a little more fuel thru it in break in stage

Does that mean you would pre heat the motor when starting it?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Generally, a new motor with tight metal pinch gets pre-heated. Once the metal pinch or lock up stops or is very easy to get past when turning by hand, you can skip the pre-heating. Some engines lock up on starter boxes when new, so preheating helps to alleviate this problem.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
only use after run oil when finished using the motor as it can foul glow plugs as well just pre heat the motor and keep it hot so there is less strain on the motor
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Pre heating your engine is never a bad idea. Your engine will last the longest that way. The biggest wear an engine endures is during startup. Its never good jamming the piston into the taper of the sleeve when the sleeve is cold. The taper is what gives the motor its compression characteristics. The sleeve will expand under heat and pressure and will expand faster and farther than the aluminum piston and the bore will naturally become square with the piston when it comes to temp. By preheating the block you are expanding the sleeve enough so the piston doesn't have to wedge itself in there at TDC during start up minimizing wear thus making your engine last longer. I had an S5 two years ago that went 2 gallons and still had pinch similar to when it was brand new. those RB motors are a great quality engine for the money and they are even better with a nice port on them. I agree with the 180 degree mark. Thats definately a good place to start. I just heat it up for about 30-45 seconds until the head is hot to the touch and then spin it. Just make sure the piston is at BDC during start up and cool down procedures as not to damage the piston crown. Good Luck!!

www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com
Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I am OCD and preheat my Werks B7 .21 Pro every time I start it and even every time I cycle after run oil in it. My break in was stupid long and I ran it in very easy for about a gallon so I could say if the thing dies early on it wasnt my doing, so far so good. Last engine break down at 2 gallons I checked bearings which felt perfectly smooth and internals were pretty and not worn.

Needless to say I still cant roll the flywheel by hand at 2.75 gallons which is pretty darn cool. Werks said I was crazy for doing this and its not needed but I cant argue with the results I got from doing it. Hoping my motor will last along time and if so I will likely stay with it for familiarity reasons.

So I say yes to preheat all the time if you can but I know at the bigger races its hard to do this. At club races I am preheating while others are tinkering then I run it over to the track and make some laps just before the heat so I dont have to worry about a pit guy starting my cold motor.

FYI get your self an Xray and you wont be fixing anything on th car so you will have more time to preheat, lol.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by whitey4311
I am OCD and preheat my Werks B7 .21 Pro every time I start it and even every time I cycle after run oil in it. My break in was stupid long and I ran it in very easy for about a gallon so I could say if the thing dies early on it wasnt my doing, so far so good. Last engine break down at 2 gallons I checked bearings which felt perfectly smooth and internals were pretty and not worn.

Needless to say I still cant roll the flywheel by hand at 2.75 gallons which is pretty darn cool. Werks said I was crazy for doing this and its not needed but I cant argue with the results I got from doing it. Hoping my motor will last along time and if so I will likely stay with it for familiarity reasons.

So I say yes to preheat all the time if you can but I know at the bigger races its hard to do this. At club races I am preheating while others are tinkering then I run it over to the track and make some laps just before the heat so I dont have to worry about a pit guy starting my cold motor.

FYI get your self an Xray and you wont be fixing anything on th car so you will have more time to preheat, lol.

Guys thanks for the information... Makes perfect sense.

Would a hair dryer keep a motor heated to 180. I know it would take for ever to heat it with.. I would use a Heat gun. But wonce heated would a hair dryer keep it hot? For total heat disturabution?

Also would Glow plugs last longer with preheating a motor?