Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
lipo RX packs and spectrum >

lipo RX packs and spectrum

lipo RX packs and spectrum

Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default lipo RX packs and spectrum

i was told that spectrum RX's have a built in voltage regulator, so when running lipo packs there is no need for a regulator...is this true???
Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have not run one, but I have also heard it's fine. One guy claimed to run 9v to the Spektrum rx and said it's good even on 12v.

You need to keep in mind the servo too... some are fine on the 8.4v lipo but I'm sure some can't take it. Hitec are supposed to be ok....

I wouldn't worry too much because a 5 cell fresh off the charger isn't that much lower than a lipo. BUT... a good regulator is nice because it puts out a consistent voltage so everything feels the same throughout a run...
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
I have not run one, but I have also heard it's fine. One guy claimed to run 9v to the Spektrum rx and said it's good even on 12v.

You need to keep in mind the servo too... some are fine on the 8.4v lipo but I'm sure some can't take it. Hitec are supposed to be ok....

I wouldn't worry too much because a 5 cell fresh off the charger isn't that much lower than a lipo. BUT... a good regulator is nice because it puts out a consistent voltage so everything feels the same throughout a run...
What makes you think Hitec servos are OK with a 7.4v lipo battery? I think you're a bit misinformed. Ask about it in the Hitec forum and see what kind of response you get...
Old 01-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i believe i would run a regulator just to be on the safe side but thats my 2 cents.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

well i picked up a few 2000mah lipo RX packs, and i think ill just get a few regs...now another question is will a 2100mah 14.8 lipo pack run a start box for an entire weekend on one charge under normal conditions???

oh and what is a good lipo charger that will not break the bank??? im a lipo retard, but im trying to learn...

Thanks guys, Jason
Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run a 3S lipo pack w/ Spectrum on my crawler and use a Castle BEC to protect my Hitec 9959.

I wouldn't chance it.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default well

ya sure the rx can handle it but can the servos?if your answer is yes thats ok but how will the lifespan be? I have heard it's not good to go over 6 volts as this is what they were designed for anything over is a possible risk.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I asked JR about running a 7.4 lipo without a regulator for my 9100t.
There response was to not put anything more then 6v into it and use a regulator.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revo_race
What makes you think Hitec servos are OK with a 7.4v lipo battery? I think you're a bit misinformed. Ask about it in the Hitec forum and see what kind of response you get...
I said "supposed to be ok".... because I've been told that. I have not done it myself. If I had, then I would say it works no problem for me.

Same goes for the Spektrum.... I don't do it, but that's the "word on the street" so to speak
Old 01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just get a 7v regulator

ive been running that setup for a couple years with Hitec and Spektrum
Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imaxx21
just get a 7v regulator

ive been running that setup for a couple years with Hitec and Spektrum
imaxx this is just what i was looking for, someone who has experience with this combo...thank you thats what ill do then...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

I am running unregulated lipo with Hitec 5955 servos with no problems. I also know of others that have been doing it a long time. A 7 volt regulator is almost useless since the user voltage of Lipo is 7.4v I know it peaks at 8.4v but drops down pretty quick and is consistent at 7.4v. But do what makes you feel comfortable. I know there are some hitec servos rated for 7.4v
Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah straight lipo with spektrum and the 5955's is good too, only servo ill ever use...

but i like the HT regulator with the built in switch
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
well i picked up a few 2000mah lipo RX packs, and i think ill just get a few regs...now another question is will a 2100mah 14.8 lipo pack run a start box for an entire weekend on one charge under normal conditions???

oh and what is a good lipo charger that will not break the bank??? im a lipo retard, but im trying to learn...

Thanks guys, Jason
I guess no one took a shot at the starter box question, so I will. The battery will last all weekend with no problem, with a word of advise. I am sure you have run into the situation that you or someone you know lend ed out his starter box and when try to use it again it was dry. This is a no no with Lipo batteries, if the voltage falls below certain level they will not charge up again, so you have to be careful not to let this happen.

On the plus side, to charge a Lipo battery usually does not take more than 30 min., and the starter box weights a lot less.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cota348
I guess no one took a shot at the starter box question, so I will. The battery will last all weekend with no problem, with a word of advise. I am sure you have run into the situation that you or someone you know lend ed out his starter box and when try to use it again it was dry. This is a no no with Lipo batteries, if the voltage falls below certain level they will not charge up again, so you have to be careful not to let this happen.

On the plus side, to charge a Lipo battery usually does not take more than 30 min., and the starter box weights a lot less.
cota good stuff buddy!!! this maybe rude but one thing i never lend out is my start boxes...they are set up perfectly for my bug/trug and unless a guy is running a OCM they will not work for them...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.