R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Exclamation Got a few questions about motor mounts and backplates.

I have a LRP .28 zspec and it has a pullstarter and a pullstart backplate on it.

The stock mugen mbx5 engine mount CAN NOT handle a pullstart engine with a pullstart backplate.

What do I do in a case like this? do I get a different engine mount or get rid of the pullstart and pullstart backplate, and just put a normal backplate onto my LRP .28 zspec?

Can someone please provide me to links of what exactly i need to buy? preferrably a place that accepts paypal and ships to canada

ive also got a starter box so I am kinda leaning towards getting rid of the pullstart and put a normal packplate on it, then would it fit my motor mount?

also, do i need something like these? http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...?idproduct=180

there is attached pics of the engine i have, and the engine mount i have, and the red is what is stopping me from driving my buggy

ANOTHER QUESTION:

i have batteries like these: http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...?idproduct=303

and these: http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=4715

what kind of charger do I need for those kind of batteries? and I'm assuming i can use the same charger for both batteries?
(i have 2 buggies and need a receiver pack in both)

ANOTHER QUESTION:

this is a hard one.. I have a himoto engine, and it has a SP (i think thats what its called) .28, a japan engine that comes stock on a himoto buggy.

the pullstarter broke on it and i threw it away, where can i get a non-pullstart backplate that will fit onto that himoto engine? it currently has a pullstart backplate, but i dont want a pullstart on it, i would like to start both engines using my starter box.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

this is a quick one: i have both my engines taken apart right now, i can see the glow plugs on both, i remember seeing on these forums a while ago what the glowplugs should look like, and what they shouldnt look like, can someone help me here? my glowplugs seem to look and perform fine to me.. i just wanna know how to tell if your engine it too rich/lean just by looking at the glowplug.

I understand theres quite a few questions here, and some are very "nooby". but im new to rc cars and both of my cars have been out of maintenance for 2 months now! thats WWAAYY too long for my liking, i cant wait to get them fixed and running again! but I really need your guys help as i dont have a LHS, the closest one is 3 hrs away and they dont know what the hell they are doing...

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Got a few questions about motor mounts and backplates.-mbx001t.jpg   Got a few questions about motor mounts and backplates.-f761_1_bl.jpg  
Mugen MBX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

Heck if I know. But the post was so good I went back and read some more of your posts.

Seriously though almost any charger will charge those RX packs. Buy the best one you can afford especially if you think you'll be charging larger/batteries and/or LiPos down the road.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWLFSE View Post
Heck if I know. But the post was so good I went back and read some more of your posts.

Seriously though almost any charger will charge those RX packs. Buy the best one you can afford especially if you think you'll be charging larger/batteries and/or LiPos down the road.
huh?

and will this charger work: http://www.rctech.net/forum/login.php?do=login

im not going to need to buy like 10 other things seperately?

thats why i wanted you to link me to it, i dont want to screw up, i want someone who knows exactly what they are doing to give me exact links, so theres no chance me of ordering the wrong thing, or waiting 2 weeks to get it, then finding out i need to order 1 more alligator clip, and need to wait another 2 weeks for that, then to find out im missing something else still...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I had the same problem today.
I went to my local hobby store and bought a back plate that fits the motor to conver it to bump start... I need to pull the motor apart and grind the *nub* off the crank where the pull start goes... (once you do this its bump start for life) reasembly with the new back plate and your done...
Mpowerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpowerz View Post
I had the same problem today.
I went to my local hobby store and bought a back plate that fits the motor to conver it to bump start... I need to pull the motor apart and grind the *nub* off the crank where the pull start goes... (once you do this its bump start for life) reasembly with the new back plate and your done...
thats fine if its bump start for life, do you have the same engine as i do?

whats the backplate you bought? can you link me to it, this way nothing can go wrong?

if i do that, will it fit onto that engine mount with no problem? i wont need to buy any other small parts?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Okay well I know nothing about LRP engines, converting from Pull start to just a plain backplate, or himoto engines but I will try to help you out with your other things. As for motor mounts, no you cannot fit a pull start motor onto the prospec motor mount and the motor mounts you linked to will not be a direct fit either, there are ways you can get a pulstart motor to fit onto the linked mounts but in my opinion it is not worth it, especialy not in a mugen. But if thats what you need to do you can make a pullstart motor fit onto those mounts and or if you had to you could also make it fit onto the mount you have, but that would take some dremeling and the mount might not be so pretty. If you chose to leave the pull start on let me know and I will get you pointed in the right dirrection on how to do that. But no pullstart mod is the best choice.

For batterys as said before get the best charger you can afford, but this one here is a nice charger at an affordable price that will charge both your batterys and many other batterys too http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=3688 I used one of these for a while and it treated me really well I recently upgraded to an ICE but I still have this and I still like it. But all you need is a basic Ni-Mh charger to charge you batterys, let us know if you have any questions.

Do a search for the glow plug thing.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro syco View Post
Okay well I know nothing about LRP engines, converting from Pull start to just a plain backplate, or himoto engines but I will try to help you out with your other things. As for motor mounts, no you cannot fit a pull start motor onto the prospec motor mount and the motor mounts you linked to will not be a direct fit either, there are ways you can get a pulstart motor to fit onto the linked mounts but in my opinion it is not worth it, especialy not in a mugen. But if thats what you need to do you can make a pullstart motor fit onto those mounts and or if you had to you could also make it fit onto the mount you have, but that would take some dremeling and the mount might not be so pretty. If you chose to leave the pull start on let me know and I will get you pointed in the right dirrection on how to do that. But no pullstart mod is the best choice.

For batterys as said before get the best charger you can afford, but this one here is a nice charger at an affordable price that will charge both your batterys and many other batterys too http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=3688 I used one of these for a while and it treated me really well I recently upgraded to an ICE but I still have this and I still like it. But all you need is a basic Ni-Mh charger to charge you batterys, let us know if you have any questions.

Do a search for the glow plug thing.
ok, i was looking at that charger and was gonna buy it, i need to know if i need anything else with it? those small things like when i bought a starter box.. i didnt know you needed a battery, so i bought one, and wasnt thinking, and found out you needed a charger too(duh). so i had to make like 4 different orders.

i dont care if i have to saw away and such at the mount thing i posted, but it still looks like im going to need another piece, i dont know what they are called though.

what i want to do it convert both to a non PS backplate, so i need a link to the proper backplate for both my lrp .28 and my SH .28 engine.

then i need to find out which motor mounts will work nicely, again, with links to the exact one. because i dont know what im doing when it comes to this sort of thing.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Tech Regular

With that charger to charge your reciever pack you will just need to pick up one of these. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14574 Then take the red and black wires and take the coating off so it is just the bare wires just a few mm long. Just long enough to put into the little connectors on the front of the charger, and obviously put the black in the black spot and red in red and then connect battery and charge. It is not neede but you can also put some saulder on the end of the wire. You can also purchase a servo extension with both ends and cut off the male end leaving you with a female plug just like the one I linked you to.

Look around do some searches on all the forums and everywhere else and see if anyone else has gone no PS on these motors, I am sure you can find it somewhere. Check their website anywhere. Also dont they offer the LRP motors with a non pull start backplate? if they do then they will for sure offer a backplate that you can buy. look around a bit.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro syco View Post
With that charger to charge your reciever pack you will just need to pick up one of these. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14574 Then take the red and black wires and take the coating off so it is just the bare wires just a few mm long. Just long enough to put into the little connectors on the front of the charger, and obviously put the black in the black spot and red in red and then connect battery and charge. It is not neede but you can also put some saulder on the end of the wire. You can also purchase a servo extension with both ends and cut off the male end leaving you with a female plug just like the one I linked you to.

Look around do some searches on all the forums and everywhere else and see if anyone else has gone no PS on these motors, I am sure you can find it somewhere. Check their website anywhere. Also dont they offer the LRP motors with a non pull start backplate? if they do then they will for sure offer a backplate that you can buy. look around a bit.
ive tried searching, its hard, i can only use ebay and carloinasrc because no one else will accept both paypal and ship to canada.

i see how that works, you need to buy the female piece, i seen those on carolinas, if i got that charger above and this cable, would they work fine? http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=2699
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Tech Regular

hmm, i think i may have found one.

does anyone know if this will work? it looks kinda cheap, but what do i know?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LRP-38134-ROTO-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Tech Regular

can someone please help, i wanna drive my buggies :'(
Old 01-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You have a mugen mbx5 its a stictly pro race 1/8th scale buggy. Its made to
fit an .21 non pull start racing engine. So you will have to get rid of the pull-
starter or roto start and install the non pull-start back plate. When you do
the car will keep its lower center of gavity that a non pull-start engine gives.
topcat-lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat-lll View Post
You have a mugen mbx5 its a stictly pro race 1/8th scale buggy. Its made to
fit an .21 non pull start racing engine. So you will have to get rid of the pull-
starter or roto start and install the non pull-start back plate. When you do
the car will keep its lower center of gavity that a non pull-start engine gives.

LOL, i know dude!!!!!, i already know that! (except for the .21 part, im sure itll fit a .28 engine)

i know what i need to do, i just dont know what i need to buy? can you tell me the EXACT product i need, with a link.

would it be easier to keep the pull start as it ising hurting anything (engine wise) and just get a differnet motor mount, and have a pullstart in case, and normally use a starter box? or does a starter box need a normal backplate?

and what exactly is "pro race" i bought a mugen mbx5 roller, i think its a 07, its pretty goos condidtion still. and i bought a lrp .28 for the engine, and a spektrum dhx 3.0 radio kit with the two receiver things in it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
Tech Regular

no one can help me

if i provided exact pics would that help?

im thinking of buying this charger and these cables to charge my receiver batteries, do i need anything else?

charger: https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...idproduct=5222

cables: https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...idproduct=5019

batteries im planning on charging:
https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...idproduct=6095

https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...idproduct=4715

all those are compatible with each other?

one more question, what the hell is this? everyone seems to have one... what am i missing out on? https://www.carolinasrc.com/webstore...idproduct=2898
Old 01-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Tech Regular

wtf? why isint anyone helping?

were my questions too "nooby"? or too hard? or what?