Wiki Posts
Search

The amazing choice problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The amazing choice problem

So as many of you have read from many others, there is kind of a hard decision when it comes to 1/8 off-road. I can't choose between the hyper 8.5, rc8, or the hot bodies lightning pro evo. Having a horrible time, driven them all from drivers near my lhs, like em' all. Also if any has an opinion on the hyper 8.5 rtr that would be great also. I will also say that my intension is in serious racing and not for bashing. thanks for what ever light you can shed.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i dont want this to sound like a post you always read.... but for me... of the ones you want, pick the one that the LHS has parts for, and what others are running so you can get help with setups. this is why I went with the 8ight. I also wanted the hyper 8 / 8.5 but my hobby shop does not carry many parts, and when I had a hyper 7, same thing... so I had 2 hyper 7, one for race and one for parts...

now if your shop carries parts for all 3... I would say go with the rc8 (only because I have seen them run, and I would like to try one out)
Old 01-21-2008, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SteveJa
i dont want this to sound like a post you always read.... but for me... of the ones you want, pick the one that the LHS has parts for, and what others are running so you can get help with setups. this is why I went with the 8ight. I also wanted the hyper 8 / 8.5 but my hobby shop does not carry many parts, and when I had a hyper 7, same thing... so I had 2 hyper 7, one for race and one for parts...

now if your shop carries parts for all 3... I would say go with the rc8 (only because I have seen them run, and I would like to try one out)
Besides these recommendations, if you are planning to race, do yourself a favor and take the cost of a RTR then add the costs of upgrade requires or suggested, at the end it will be cheaper to buy a kit. Besides by putting the kit together you will learn the ins and outs of the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cota348
Besides these recommendations, if you are planning to race, do yourself a favor and take the cost of a RTR then add the costs of upgrade requires or suggested, at the end it will be cheaper to buy a kit...
++1
Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

If your interest is in racing and not bashing then stay away from the RTR's. I would reccomend the hyper 8.5, because it will be the cheapest car to maintain, I haven't checked the prices of the rc8 and i am sure they are good, But if you do a search on ebay you will find that you can get amazing deals on the 8.5, Chassis usually run around $25-$30, I got a complete diff shipped to my door for under $20.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

this goes with the other guys comments...... if you know that you are going to race do not buy an rtr.... I here and see so many people buy the 8ight rtr, then they cant wait to buy the PRO parts that do not come with it... then by that time they have new servos because the ones that come with it are not the best.... they when they want to race at a place that makes them run the correct motor... they have to buy a motor (rtr's 26~28... need 21)buy this time you would have spent less money and have better stuff...... yes it cost more up front.... but in 6 months it ends up costing way more.....

this I can tell you for sure... I did this with my first 1/8scale... hyper 7.... so spend the $200 ~ $300 more now..... and save alot later......

Last edited by SteveJa; 01-21-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey thanks for the words guys. Yeah I kinda knew to stay away from the rtr, but just wanted to hear some opinions.