Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
OS .12 TG Engine ??? >

OS .12 TG Engine ???

OS .12 TG Engine ???

Old 01-08-2008, 03:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default OS .12 TG Engine ???

Does anyone try the OS .12TG engine ? Any comment ? Does it really run 14 minutes as advertised ?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran the TG in my gas truck all last summer and I loved it. It is very smooth and easy to drive. It's not a screamer when it comes to power but it is very smooth. There were also a few other drivers that bought one and it seemed like all of a sudden they turned their game around and were turning some really great laps.

Unfortunately I was barely able to get any better run time out of it than my previous TR. Making 10 minute pit stops I was coming in on fumes. I do run mostly on rather large tracks so that might be part of it. The other reason I think I don't get any better run time is that since the motor is a little lower powered, I am harder on the throttle all the time.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Legend

14 minutes ?

No , maybe 10 tops..

Otherwise love this motor, as it has been reliable and easy to tune...

The power is smoother than any , and it is fast down the straight...

I already have close to three gallon`s on my Tg and it is still running strong ...
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

How do you compare it to the .12 CVR engine ?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Legend

Cv R is faster on the straight
not as smooth on the infield section`s of the track..

The Tg although not as powerful as a Cv R, yet deliever`s lap times that are more consistent and faster than a Cv-R can...

The best way to describe the TG is like this:

Its feels real smooth like a Cv , but has the power of a Cv-R...
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

This is to race on a small track. I think I'll go with the .12TG. I'm also looking at a Novarossi .12 "Basic" engine but I think it will be too powerful for a tight track.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Cv R is faster on the straight
not as smooth on the infield section`s of the track..

The Tg although not as powerful as a Cv R, yet deliever`s lap times that are more consistent and faster than a Cv-R can...

The best way to describe the TG is like this:

Its feels real smooth like a Cv , but has the power of a Cv-R...
I find my Cv-r is very smooth with the stock GT2 pipe, and my lap times were Extremely consistant. It all depends on motor set-up, oh, and i consistantly come in at the 10 min mark for fuel, and have fuel still in there at that time.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i love my TG, but its for sale cause i went to only 1/8 off road...if your interested in a really nice TG for a low price PM me...
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sylvain
This is to race on a small track. I think I'll go with the .12TG. I'm also looking at a Novarossi .12 "Basic" engine but I think it will be too powerful for a tight track.
I use a Novarossi Basic engine and get over 10 min a tank (12 to 13) . I put it away to a big meet comes up and pull it than. 1 HP, Side Exhaust, rotary carb. On club meets i use a latter Nova 1.2 Hp and it gets clost to 10 min but havent really tried it to see what it gets.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jabroni racing
I find my Cv-r is very smooth with the stock GT2 pipe, and my lap times were Extremely consistant. It all depends on motor set-up, oh, and i consistantly come in at the 10 min mark for fuel, and have fuel still in there at that time.

You sure ? you got nice & warm weather ....

Try doing that @41 degree`s Nw style.....
but
I get bout the same as you are ...even with the cold....

Not trying to knock the Cvr , Its a fantastic motor for sure...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I know its florida and all, but we have colder days as well, last week it was in the twenties at night, and didnt break 50 dureing the day, and remember, its a very wet cold, surrounded by water.. Im a Jerzey boy, and i was used to dry cold..LOL.. Ohh, back to motors, the cvr Im running, ive had over 4 yrs..It has well over 8 gallons threw it, I had it pinched about 8 months ago by os rocket, and its just like new.. Its never let me down, so i would never change. I have a Brand new one, never even opened sitting in my drawer cause they are that good.. When fatory guys say, damn, i wish that motor was still around, you know its a keeper..LMAO
Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Sylvain, I have soom local guys running the TG and they are getting just over 12 minutes after my porting with a huge increase in peak power but a very smooth bottom end transition. We are running them in 1/10 scale 2wd stadium trcks so you know as well as I do that smooth roll on is very important. I am running a Novarossi myself and it is a sweetheart of a motor. It was a light switch before but after adding 3 ports and changing the entrance velocity it smoothed right out and is a pleasure to drive. I also have a CRT.5 with a Picco 7 port that is getting about 12 minutes to the tank also and it sounds and looks like a .21 running out there.

Mark @ www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com
Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My driver Todd Lewis runs the TG in his stadium trucks. AB Modified of course And he loves the engine for its smooth power "which is a MUST in stadium truck!" run time and power after the modifications. He felt it was actually a little under powered before the modifications for his likeing. And hes reporting better fuel milage as well to go along with the added power. He runs my stage 1 race mod on this particular engine.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Couple of questions about the .12TG, bought one in a slightly used GT2 and can't get it to run. Is there something that I should do if it has been sitting for awhile? I tried and tried today until the pull cord came all the way out and now won't retract.

Pretty frustrated but I guess that is the price for going second hand on some of this stuff. Do you guys run with the pull start or opt for a mod to use bump start or spin start? I am pretty new to nitro my other truck is a Savage 4.6 with the roto start which is much easier to manuver with only 1 hand required for starting......
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

a starter box can be a little pricey after you bought a new truck but once you use one, you will love it. just through the truck on and push and the engine fires right up (when tuned right)