Wiki Posts
Search

RB vs Novarossi Top Speed Motor Shootout Radar Gun Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default RB vs Novarossi Top Speed Motor Shootout Radar Gun Test

You guys have to see this ..!

UndergroundRC gets out the radar gun, and pits two of the industry's top manufacturers against one another. Ever wondered what different manufactures specs and horsepower ratings equate to on the track? UndergroundRC was thinking the same thing, so we decided to take it to the track with a top speed radar gun test video. We pose the question, does it matter what manufacturer you run? The results may surprise you!

See the video here:
http://www.undergroundrc.com/videos.aspx?uID=52
Old 12-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hmm....do those two engines happen to like the same pipe and plug equally?

The concept of the test is great. I think there are an awful lot of variables that aren't accounted for in this test though.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Definitely should have used the recommended pipes and headers for the engine. With my RBs I will always use a 2045 and choose a long or short header depending on track and conditions.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up Agreed...

Yes, the variables are endless, but I'm sick of motor stat numbers that don't equate to on track performance. This about as close as you can get to real results, and remember this was a "Top Speed Shootout". Its not meant to be a truly scientific test, but rather just a real track test.

I think it only shows that your driving skill will be much more important than your motors top speed in any race!

In the upper levels of racing many other things will be just as important such as:
Fuel mileage
Powerband

Maybe a fuel mileage test is next??
Old 12-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
You guys have to see this ..!

UndergroundRC gets out the radar gun, and pits two of the industry's top manufacturers against one another. Ever wondered what different manufactures specs and horsepower ratings equate to on the track? UndergroundRC was thinking the same thing, so we decided to take it to the track with a top speed radar gun test video. We pose the question, does it matter what manufacturer you run? The results may surprise you!

See the video here:
http://www.undergroundrc.com/videos.aspx?uID=52
Well done!

Lee
Old 12-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Yes, the variables are endless, but I'm sick of motor stat numbers that don't equate to on track performance. This about as close as you can get to real results, and remember this was a "Top Speed Shootout". Its not meant to be a truly scientific test, but rather just a real track test.

I think it only shows that your driving skill will be much more important than your motors top speed in any race!

In the upper levels of racing many other things will be just as important such as:
Fuel mileage
Powerband
All fair points. Thanks for taking the time to do that and document it. It's interesting!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

That was pretty good! Both were Novarossi based motors. I'm just curious about the outcome with a OS vs. a Novarossi based plant ?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The other problem is that it was a top speed test with distance limits. Rev is 100ft x 200ft but that straight is only about 185ft (still pretty long for most tracks)

Either way, whether I use my C6BB, WS7III or probably soon to have Ninja, Ill almost always be beaten by the better driver assuming he finishes. At our track (SBRCCA) we have noticed that pretty much any $200+ motor has rarely an advantage over the others. It's offroad, you have very limited grip in the first place, and down the straight, the tires are usually leaving the track at several points, losing traction and acceleration.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

very interesting , but the results are pretty predictable as the P5 and the WS7 dyno very closely to each other... they make within .1 HP of each other on the X-Dyno..with the WS-7 having slightly more top end....... ultimately pipe and header combo will also carry a big impact on top speed and powerband...with the header length determining RPM range.. with both he P5 and the WS7 having nearly identical power outputs, and both running the same exact setup, including pipe I can definitely see why you didn't see much difference... as well in a buggy the speed is somewhat traction limited.

Now I disagree somewhat that there isnt much difference between the race .21's... in a Buggy you may not see alot of differences, but I know things change pretty quickly when these motors get installed into a Truggy.. With the added weight and traction you will start seeing the strong .21's separate themselves pretty quickly from the weaker .21's..though top speed may be similar if your using the same pipe on every motor but the acceleration differences can be quite large...

In a Truggy a powerful .21 like a P7EVO2 will leave a mild .21 like a Nova 21-7 prety easily.......In a Buggy I see the P7R just spinning the tires......
Old 12-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LoL that was nice i wish you could test my x-ray novarossi combo.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Default Next Video..

I think the next video should be the C6BBT vs OS Speed! What do you guys think?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That would be awesome to see.But like Sirio2127 said lets see it in an Xray.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

I think the next video should be the C6BBT vs OS Speed! What do you guys think?
I'm VERY interested in seeing that comparison. Ideally, the comparison would have the C6BB using an RB 2045 pipe and the OS Speed using either an OS 2050 or 2060 pipe.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

that was a very cool test...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hehe, that was pretty neat.
Good job : )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.