Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NOVAROSSI SURVEY

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know Nikasil was used in come german car pistons, like Mahle or Oettinger. Silicon inpregnated aluminum bore sleeves also, but I haven't heard of this being apllied to RC nitro engines. I don't think it works on chrome sleeves though, only aluminum.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Joe for all that info, I figured as much . What we have done for "real engine" cranks was to have them spray-welded and then reground and nitrided to make them a touch harder. this might be pretty hard to do because of the size of the crank pin , ,and the labor to regrind... it was just an idea is all.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The theory behind nikasil best translates over from bikes to RC engines there are definite grounds for believing it should be a good treatment on our engines but again price vs performance for the time and effort required to do the treatment there just wasn't a big enough gain in longevity. Actually it would be interesting to here from a CRF engine user whether Team Orion's treatment lives up to the hype as far as the longevity benefits that are claimed.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

dbl post
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

I suppose it's an ironic problem with RC Engines the reason we love them is the major problem all those RPM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jprevolution
The theory behind nikasil best translates over from bikes to RC engines there are definite grounds for believing it should be a good treatment on our engines but again price vs performance for the time and effort required to do the treatment there just wasn't a big enough gain in longevity. Actually it would be interesting to here from a CRF engine user whether Team Orion's treatment lives up to the hype as far as the longevity benefits that are claimed.
Being in the automotive industry, this sums up some I what I knew if for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

Since then, if has mostly been abandoned in the auto industry from what I know, since sulfur kills it. Silicon impregated aluminum bores is now more used. Not sure if this is what some RC nitro engine builders may be trying, who knows.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mremtr
The JP 2002 series 7 port engine is a wicked screamer !! That is the old RS7 configuration , I just hope they kept the porting the same on the 7 port versions . I have the old RS7 Crono and it is wicked fast . If you notice on all the specs available the cranks are all 14 mm I think the 14.5 mm cranks didn't work nearly as well , and made for a persnickety tuning beast.

Is the JP 2002 7 port better suited for buggy or truggy?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sonic27
Is the JP 2002 7 port better suited for buggy or truggy?
I would say buggy, as the 7 port I have has a very smooth bottom with a killer midrange -topend.
I've never run a truggy so I really couldn't comment on this
Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

I have shifted from Nova engines as the price is just to high for replacement parts and Novarossi needs to relook their strategy as they are losing the RC engine market bigtime. The newer Novas just isnt delivering what some of the newer engines are delivering.

Make no mistake its great engine and yes its the benchmark that all other makes are compared to.
Lower price with cheaper replacement parts and also Novas arent the best on runtime either.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

I do have problem with rear bearings. But I wonder if that has anything to do with fuel. I used to run OD fuel until 3 of my $$$nova/RB engines rusted. Having rust inside your engine is probably not healthy for the bearings.

I run Byron now and the bearings seems to hold up.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by straightaway
I do have problem with rear bearings. But I wonder if that has anything to do with fuel. I used to run OD fuel until 3 of my $$$nova/RB engines rusted. Having rust inside your engine is probably not healthy for the bearings.

I run Byron now and the bearings seems to hold up.
yes i agree its a fuel problem .some companies use oils that are very abbrasive above 100 degrees c in turn killing you engine .klotz oils is a big problem .they also use a anti foaming agent which also leaves corrosion .

some companies cheat the system for more power and use a polypropoline agent which is very acidie and that also can kill your engine and bearings this stuff is cheaper than nitro but just as much power.

poor quality nitro and methanol are also a big problem as some contain more moisture than others .

WHO CARES WHO MAKES THE FUEL ALWAYS USE AFTER RUN OIL WHEN ENGINE IS NOT IN USE IT'S A MUST TO PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT PERIOD............

sometimes its better to mix your own fuel i say .well thats my opinion

Last edited by COBRARACING; 01-11-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Methanol attracts moisture naturally, so the older it gets, the more moisture it has. I personally add castor to any fuel I buy, just for the security. I can get fuel made locally and its very fresh. Any mixture content I want, he will mix. Also, it can be work, but if you open, clean and oil the engine, you will most likely avoid corrossion and premature wear. If I find surface corrosion, I tear the engine down, and brass wire brush off any rust or corrosion. Those rust particles will come off and wear the internals of the engine. Its just like sucking in dirt, just metal dirt instead. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Smile

Dear Gents

I have been working with the factory now for over a year and im very close with management and engineering .

Federico and malick have said things are only going to get better this year the support from novarossi will not be short for 2008.

Pricing will be fixed and is getting better as we speak .Im sorry but in my time in this hobby and as an engineer i have never come across a brand like Nova with reliability ,long life span if treated with respect and service .they are the benchmark of nitro engines .

In on road no one can come anywhere near them for speed ,reliabilty and quality .

I just dont know why you guys run a turbo button for off road .turbo button was specifically designed for on road use where you need the top end and never come off the throttle.From my study turbo plug is not needed for off road period unless you have no turns no jumps and is an oval track full of straights were you dont get off the throttle at all.standard plugs will give you more bottem end to tackle those large jumps and tight corners.

but anyway things are getting better so hang in there .
Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 AM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

That must be why some of the best engines in off-road use turbo style plugs hey. Infact more engines use turbo plugs than straight cut plugs, so if your statement where true then why would some of the best engine builders worldwide not use straight cut plugs?

My understanding is that a turbo style plug provides a cleaner idle & more effeiciant burn than that of a straight (standard) cut plug.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Turbo plug is a pain in the ass to take off (for adding afterrun oil).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.