R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotts View Post
Hi everyone,
I feel some issues here need to be addressed. I chose to remove dist. level so that I could reduce the over all cost to you the racer. That is why you see the price's drop and not go up; yes the Euro has increased a lot in 2007. Novarossi and I have been working together on this; they care very much on what happens in every market. The bearing issue was not as big as people made it seem on the internet, I kept track of it and found only about 5% of the engines I sold had any bearing issue. I took care of it here; it's my job to handle issues such as this. It is the responsibility of the Novarossi importers to deal with any and all issues pertaining to Novarossi products; it is also the importers responsibility to keep Novarossi Italy informed on what is going on. I talk daily to dealers and racers from all over USA, Canada, Mexico about what is happening in their areas. From this I keep Novarossi Italy informed on what is going on in these areas, your concerns are heard in Italy. Every issue that has been raised here Novarossi is already aware of.

Jim Hottinger, CEO
Fusion Motorsports
Novarossi USA
No offense but i only use Novarossi engines and i always will but your wrong about the bearings issue 5% I dont think so, i race at REV all the time and can let you meet another 3-4 people that bought brand new motors and have the same bearing issues, i have four 21-5k and two 367 and three 21-5 and all the bearings seem to go out around the 2 gallon mark and the three of my motors i put aftermarket bearings in before i ever fired them up have 0 issues with bearings one has 4 gallons on it and the other has 6 gallons, again i will always run these novarossi motors nothing in this world is perfect but if these motors had better bearings they would be a perfect 10 BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS.......................................
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #32
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So who does nova use for their bearing supplier?
SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 AM   #33
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

they have recently switched to a swiss bearing supplier , so i have heard from a fairly reliable source who may post on here so things will hopefully be better on the bearing side of it all
later
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #34
Tech Legend

Heard about those bearing`s ...

I would be very upset if my $500 motor had a bad bearing , so I decided against purchasing a Nova Rossi.....

Shame , but I can`t afford the "best" if it is`nt......
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Heard about those bearing`s ...
I would be very upset if my $500 motor had a bad bearing , so I decided against purchasing a Nova Rossi.....
Shame , but I can`t afford the "best" if it is`nt......

Oh Ya, and OS never had a bad batch of bearings in the V-spec.
Every early OS V-spec at my track had a bad bearing in it.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #36
Tech Legend

Understand your point , however I never intended to say the Os is better than a Nova Rossi ....

Just trying to inform those who are "in the know" , why I ended up not considering their motor just recently .....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #37
Tech Regular

this bearing issue sounds like a maintanence problem. not trying to piss anybody off, just saying that should we expect to get more than a few gallons out of our bearings? i mean really these things are spinning 10-40,000 RPM, up and down, up and down, up and down....just seems like alot of stress on the bearings....just a thought...but i don't engineer the bearings, so i don't know what the life expectancy designed into them was.

remember, all things have a life expectancy.

If you ain't first....your last
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
this bearing issue sounds like a maintanence problem. not trying to piss anybody off, just saying that should we expect to get more than a few gallons out of our bearings? i mean really these things are spinning 10-40,000 RPM, up and down, up and down, up and down....just seems like alot of stress on the bearings....just a thought...but i don't engineer the bearings, so i don't know what the life expectancy designed into them was.

remember, all things have a life expectancy.
i agree with you a 100% on maintanence and life expectancy and stress on the bearings but the aftermarket bearings do last twice as long if not more than the nova bearings......................
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobike View Post
i agree with you a 100% on maintanence and life expectancy and stress on the bearings but the aftermarket bearings do last twice as long if not more than the nova bearings......................
To make that statement 100% true, you would have to install aftermarket bearings in a new engine first, then run it through a break-in period and see how long it lasts. I personally do not like installing ceramic bearings in a fresh engine due to the metal that comes out from a break-in.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #40
Tech Elite

we had some problems with ceramic and standard steel bearings with different sizes used . but in saying that i dont think the ceramic bearings are up to what they should be i think they have a long way more to go before we can say yes they are the best that can be used .More reseacrh and development is needed for cermamics.

Me personally i think larger ceramic balls are needed and the reduction on how many ceramic balls in the cage .

we tested some after market bearings standard and ceramic and we found the following conclusion.
some ceramic and standard with 14 balls ,11 balls ,9 balls
the 9 ball ceramic lasted the longest and so did the the 9 ball standard steel bearing.
about 30 litres on the 9 ball steel and the same with the ceramic.
the 14 balls was the worst as it couldn't handle the rpm produced in both ceramic and standard the cage fell apart .

we will do more testing and keep you all informed.

fuel used sidewinder pro 30% .
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
No offense but i only use Novarossi engines and i always will but your wrong about the bearings issue 5% I dont think so, i race at REV all the time and can let you meet another 3-4 people that bought brand new motors and have the same bearing issues, i have four 21-5k and two 367 and three 21-5 and all the bearings seem to go out around the 2 gallon mark and the three of my motors i put aftermarket bearings in before i ever fired them up have 0 issues with bearings one has 4 gallons on it and the other has 6 gallons, again i will always run these novarossi motors nothing in this world is perfect but if these motors had better bearings they would be a perfect 10 BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS-BEARINGS.......................................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
To make that statement 100% true, you would have to install aftermarket bearings in a new engine first, then run it through a break-in period and see how long it lasts. I personally do not like installing ceramic bearings in a fresh engine due to the metal that comes out from a break-in.
i have put aftermarket bearings in my brand new motors before i ever fired them up.....................and one is going on 4 gallons the other on 6 with 0 issues.............
Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
i have put aftermarket bearings in my brand new motors before i ever fired them up.....................and one is going on 4 gallons the other on 6 with 0 issues.............
What brand bearing did you use?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well , on the bearing failure issue , This is what I have noticed on EVERY SINGLE ONE ,(premature failure), First thing was that there was gauling in the engine case under the top left portion of the case (looking at the bearing from the rear it would be between 10 and 11 on a clock). Now this was only on the ones that failed early. I saw it on 2 Novarossi's and on EVERY SINGLE O.S. ! And I changed a bunch of OS bearings before they were ever even started and it was the same there too. So I think the trouble is NOT REPEAT NOT the bearing it self but in the installation !! These bearing are being pressed in cold ! This is the only way you get this gauling effect, plus the build-up of excess material under one side of the bearing is stressful on it ,thus failure prematurely.
Any of you guys doing your own bearings LOOK FOR THIS !! If you see it then you need to clean that material out of there so the bearing can sit flat on the seat it was designed to fit on.Be careful not to gouge anything up doing it though, I use a very sharp exacto knife and then polish it up if needed.
Always use the crankshaft to aid in the installation too. After the bearings are installed lube the heck out of it and let it cool before removing the crank.
Make sure the crank spins super free too before letting it set to cool off.
Once in a while you need to give it a light tap to seat the rear bearing completely.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
What brand bearing did you use?
i use the ProTek R/C Ceramic, again not trying to argue with anyone, just saying i love the nova motors and changing the bearings is a minor set back for such awsome motors............
Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr View Post
Well , on the bearing failure issue , This is what I have noticed on EVERY SINGLE ONE ,(premature failure), First thing was that there was gauling in the engine case under the top left portion of the case (looking at the bearing from the rear it would be between 10 and 11 on a clock). Now this was only on the ones that failed early. I saw it on 2 Novarossi's and on EVERY SINGLE O.S. ! And I changed a bunch of OS bearings before they were ever even started and it was the same there too. So I think the trouble is NOT REPEAT NOT the bearing it self but in the installation !! These bearing are being pressed in cold ! This is the only way you get this gauling effect, plus the build-up of excess material under one side of the bearing is stressful on it ,thus failure prematurely.
Any of you guys doing your own bearings LOOK FOR THIS !! If you see it then you need to clean that material out of there so the bearing can sit flat on the seat it was designed to fit on.Be careful not to gouge anything up doing it though, I use a very sharp exacto knife and then polish it up if needed.
Always use the crankshaft to aid in the installation too. After the bearings are installed lube the heck out of it and let it cool before removing the crank.
Make sure the crank spins super free too before letting it set to cool off.
Once in a while you need to give it a light tap to seat the rear bearing completely.
cool thanks for the info now i can reuse all my stock nova bearings......