R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-31-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default rc8--set up help

I need some help and it is very hard to get answers from team associated. I have just changed to rc8..We are racing indoor up in michigan, blue groove very tech-track--My set up was sliver springs on shocks 6-1/2 mm space with rear and 5-1/2 mm front shock collar adjustment gap..switch clay tires. os v spec power..While doing hot laps car was a tadd loose..but track was a little wet..I hit first triple and nailed it comming around to second triple i landed a tadd short but not a hit that would take car out of action..Car was acting funny so i brought it in and to my amaze both back shocks were blown, clip retainers and collars were in shock boots, but i also cracked the back of my front gear box off where the hinge pins locate in back plate..I have every extra part there is but not gear boxes..All my other race bros who run rc8 and are supported by rc8 could not belive it,,They have never seen that gear box break..these are a main fast guys and all are in top standings with roar. Well I was a pit boy for the rest of the day and it sucked. I was running 30. weight shock oil..The avg temp is 50 degrees inside so we comp for that..Any info would help folks..I can win with rc8 but i need to race it first..capri
ulrichcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

check the rc8 thread dude.........lol
pwnzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Team Associated 1/8 scale Buggy Info and Tips
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

thread is no help.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Sounds to me like you just had a bad day at the track. I've blown shocks before. It doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong in building 'em, just one of those things that happens. If it happens on a regular basis, then maybe there's something wrong.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Sounds to me like you just had a bad day at the track. I've blown shocks before. It doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong in building 'em, just one of those things that happens. If it happens on a regular basis, then maybe there's something wrong.
In case of ulrichcapri's case, both rear shocks were completely blown out within just a few laps during practice through... The clips and o-rings were completely blown out of the bottom of the shock. I didn't see his landing where he busted his front bulkhead and maybe the crash was so hard that it blew through the shocks, but I have never seen it happen to both rear shocks at the same time.... I have had it happen to a shock or two before, but that was because there was too much pressure build up in the shock because the shock bladder couldn't flex out enough....

Just my 2 cents.
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The shocks must have had to much oil in them. Make sure you build them as the manual says. If you can not push the shaft all the way in or it gets very hard to push in than there is to much oil and they will blow when you land a jump.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

per a/e fill the shock body to the top and put bladder in and push out extra oil if any..You do not want any air in your shock...I would say my set up was to soft and the shock's could not take landing...Edwin did you see that kid jump 310 ft last night...Hoooooooa !!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You race at Factory Tracks Raceway right? I blew my lower top plate a couple weeks ago. Guess I better get a spare gear box too. I wasn't there last weekend but my buddies told me about your car. That sucks you didn't get to run. If I ditch the cold I caught we'll probably be there this weekend. So fix that losi-killer and see ya at the track!!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

I agree that it sounds like the shocks were overfilled. Rough day at the track! One modification you can try is to drill a 1.0mm hole in each shock cap to allow the air above the bladder to escape. It will reduce the pack of the shock and should help prevent blown shock seals. If you try the mod you MUST deburr the inside of the hole after drilling it so you won't cut the bladders.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
Tech Regular

+1
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help and yes i will drill 1mm holes..I work for the best press stampers in the world grs-s spring and stamping and i have full support from the tool room folks they will hook me up..their all gear heads and yes I race at FTR--Al horne has been showing me some set up tips..He drove my rc8 at practice two weeks ago (wow) its to bad he is a losi man but he has my respect !!!..my buddy just called me and said he has just bought a rc8 and will be ready for this sunday..It will be very intresting..Edwin its about time. If i keep my head screwed on and dont piss my self and should be a good sunday..I will be happy to finish good in the B main..They have changed back section of track...they were doing 17 second laps in a main.thats some good times..any hoot thanks a ton..my old ride that i was running was a good ride but it was to much pain to set up..Its not a proven ride and i dont have the time to prove it..It shouldnt be that hard..this is a fun hobby and a blast to hang with the racer's, It seem's that last weekend two guys forgot that and started pushing and throwing punches..it's not worth getting all postal..the coolest thing was at the trophy race I made friends with a 64 yer old racer who let me borrow some switches..how cool and he was fast..thats the way it should be..I work more on this hot rod toy of mine and I have a 500hp brk car in my pole barn just beggin me to let her breath..life is good methane rocks o.s power and rc8 doesnt get better...capri
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Did Al Horne open a new track now? I heard somewhere else that he was working on one.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

highland michigan,,The only one so far as I know..Good track,,keeps you going through our tough winter's Heard of another indoor in michigan that is going to open..My race bros and I will go anywhere to race..We are from west mi..more racing in the east side of state..are home track is a good one but we are going to change it to clay..Its sand right now but its hard on your buggy...FTR is going to ck it out as they say build it right and they will come !!!!ok ok enough spamming, wife is getting ticked..I will rebuild my shocks now and tick her off more. HoooooooA !!!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichcapri View Post
I need some help and it is very hard to get answers from team associated. I have just changed to rc8..We are racing indoor up in michigan, blue groove very tech-track--My set up was sliver springs on shocks 6-1/2 mm space with rear and 5-1/2 mm front shock collar adjustment gap..switch clay tires. os v spec power..While doing hot laps car was a tadd loose..but track was a little wet..I hit first triple and nailed it comming around to second triple i landed a tadd short but not a hit that would take car out of action..Car was acting funny so i brought it in and to my amaze both back shocks were blown, clip retainers and collars were in shock boots, but i also cracked the back of my front gear box off where the hinge pins locate in back plate..I have every extra part there is but not gear boxes..All my other race bros who run rc8 and are supported by rc8 could not belive it,,They have never seen that gear box break..these are a main fast guys and all are in top standings with roar. Well I was a pit boy for the rest of the day and it sucked. I was running 30. weight shock oil..The avg temp is 50 degrees inside so we comp for that..Any info would help folks..I can win with rc8 but i need to race it first..capri
I just went to an rc8 and had the same prob. indoors really loose on power i sent an email to Chris B who drives for associated he had me go 5000 in all three diffs and 1 .09 spring on the clutch and i went to a lighter sway bars in the front and rear. That made the car tons better i could say that i am real happy now. Thats running switch 2.0 and a p5k on a blue groove indoor track try that setup should work great