Community
Wiki Posts
Search

questions on xray

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default questions on xray

Hey guys, i'm getting back into the hobby after a few years and would like some opinions.

I used to run a mugen mbx-4rr, and since that is no longer supported with parts, I need a new buggy. I'm considering the xray 8bxec, and have not really seen much talk on the forum. Now I'm getting back into it, so I have a lot of reading and catching up to do, so if anyone with knowledge could provide some.

How does it compare to the mugens, I would get a mugen again but since there is a new one coming out in about a year, I don't want to buy something that is about to get replace. Plus, I like the xray, and all its features.

Any opinions on this. Any upgrades that need to made to it, or is it ready to go.

There are a lot more companies making buggies than when I left the hobby, so are all this equivalent to the mugen and kyosho's?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I have the EC and I really like it. Ive raced for more than 10 years, and it was by far the nicest build Ive done. Everything fits well, looks good, and is organized logically in the parts bags. The manual is peerless and it contains a short albeit comprehensive tuning guide in the back.

On track the car was great, and I had no problems getting the car working quickly. Unless you go for a super off brand car, most 1/8th chassis' are very competitive. The XRay is similar to the Mugen in many areas, and it shows on track. The car has been durable, and the parts werent unreasonable to pick up either.

Id reccomend getting the one piece motor mount for ease, but other than that the car is what I consider to be "full option".
Old 12-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey, I have the original Xray XB8 and it is the best car I have ever drove.I have drove most of the top level cars on the market and not a one comes close to the Xray.Before I had got the car I was also debating between the Xray and the Mugen because of how consistent they drove and handled but I went for the Xray because of the High grade plastic and the Hudy Spring Steel.Now that I have the Xray I know I have made the right choice because the car has soooo many tuning option I have got it set perfectly where I want it and it is the best car made.The cars are very fast,extremely durable, and very very forgiving so I would really consider it.Trust me if you get the Xray you will not be disappointed.So hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Xrays are great cars , but it seems most people dont care about quality, but jumping on bandwagons.

My gripe with the Xray cars is that there are too many adjustments on the car. Yes, too many.

Quality is top notch though and parts dont' wear out after a weekend of racing like on some other cars.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i owned an xray xb8tq and i must say the quality was very good and it wasnt to bad on the track but the car seemed to get loose in corners but other than that i didnt have no problems but i would look at another the OCM d-19 evo its a really good car and its quality is very good also.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Dude stick with the xray because there is no other car on the market that is as durable and as High of quality. plus teamxray.com has a whole forum dedicated to the car as well as a whole database of setup sheets from notable drivers all across the country that drive on different track conditions. So dont let all the options for setup overwhelm you and all that just get the car pick up a set of arms maybe some inner hinge pins and your good to go for a while.

and i am always available to help with any questions yo may have among other xray drivers

Leon McIntosh
Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 PM

i have just recently bought the EC buggy and just luv it, i used to run a Hong Nor X1CR. The EC is alot more responsive and forgiving than the X1CR. I find that the EC suits my driving style alot better than the X1. I am still chasing setup in at the moment as i have had only a few runs with it but straight out of the box setup, i can hold me own with guys who run the mugens. Once i get a couple of little suspension issues sorted out, i am confident that i can give few of the guys where i run a pretty good run for their money.

I bought the optional engine mount which allows you to quick change your motor without setting up your mesh again

cheers

nudge
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The biggest thing for me is the durability. I recently bought my EC off someone and I did notice he had the front upper tie rods bent back for some crazy caster. Well, that bothered me so I went to buy some new ones. The track I was at didnt have any so a local pro gave me some associated ones. The next race day I cased a triple pretty hard and the marshall came back to me with my car in hand. Guess what, the only part that broke was that associated part!! The suspension and all the plastic on my xray is top notch and doesnt get all sloppy like the other makers. The outdrives and CVD's also show nearly no signs of wear. Its the best car ive owned, and ive had them all