R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
I think the next video should be the C6BBT vs OS Speed! What do you guys think?
would be cool but still leaves alot of variables lol
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

What I can tell from the video is that the Novarossi came on power quicker than the RB. The RB video shows a car out of control at the end, meaning that it came into power band later than the Nova. It had no control for the next turn. The B.S. of that video about top end is total nonsense about winning a race. The Nova engine would have been ready the next turn, but the RB is out of control and cannot even stop in a straight line and set up for the next turn because it is catching up to the Novarossi later in the straight-away, so the end result is:
Quick straightway speed can win a race!
O.S. Speed is very good at this, but it depends on the track and driver.
Had this been a EU track, maybe the RB would be better, but you have to tune your engine for the track you run!
My preference is a quick big bore & short stroke engine for technical U.S. track, but I have to tune & pick the engine accordingly.

Last edited by ezveedub; 12-27-2007 at 07:27 PM.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #18
Tech Regular

I've got a lot of experience with the WS7III. It's a great engine that is easy to drive. Theres a lot to be said for an engine that doesn't tear the tires off out of the hole.
kmorast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
What I can tell from the video is that the Novarossi came on power quicker than the RB. The RB video shows a car out of control at the end, meaning that it came into power band later than the Nova. It had no control for the next turn. The B.S. of that video about top end is total nonsense about winning a race. The Nova engine would have been ready the next turn, but the RB is out of control and cannot even stop in a straight line and set up for the next turn because it is catching up to the Novarossi later in the straight-away, so the end result is:
Quick straightway speed can win a race!
O.S. Speed is very good at this, but itm depends on the track and driver.
Had this been a EU track, maybe the RB wouldmbe better, but you have to tune your engine for the track you run!
My preference is a quick big bore & short stroke engine for technical U.S. track, but I have to tune & pick the engine accordingly.

spot on the rb looked out of control and thats not going to win you anything, tests like these are fun to watch but in the real world they dont mean much at all. Most of the tracks i run on in the uk dont feature massive straights so top end isnt that important. id put my money on the speed with the 2060 beating the rb though, saw a few of those at the novarossi gp and they were flying down the straight
Megacrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

s7, sw7iii and the c6 all have a very usable controlable powerband. for all their power they are pretty driver friendly....
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Regardless of the results and if they actually mean anything in the real world or not that was a cool video. I'd like to see more like it. Thanks for posting it here for us to see.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:11 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Default More Videos..

Ya.. video is the future of the net, everyone wants more video and better quality stuff. The old back yard bash videos are cool, but its time some people step it with better video coverage of events and more. UndergroundRC has its sights set on the future, they know looking at pictures and reading a boring story is becoming a thing of the past. I heard they are looking for someone to be an on-camera personality for upcoming videos. The human factor will help take their content to the next level. They already have a big head start on production of RC videos.

CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Nicely produced video but thats all I can say about it.

As you state the variables are endless and the video accounts for only the most fundamental variables. Sorry to say, so few variables have been covered, the video feels more like a Sales tool...

There's an old racing adage that goes something like; "You make up time in the slow sections of a track, not the fast sections".

IMO, the video misses one of the MOST important qualities of an engine, driveability.

Lots of people will swear that the C6BB is one of the fastest engines out there. XRC did a review on it, and while it showed good numbers, it wasn't the best out there numbers-wise, yet it had very good drivability characteristics which made it fast on the track....
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My buddy Felipe runs a C6BB (With many gallons on it). That thing works great on the tracks we run. Seems to be a pretty smooth power delivery and it puts a lot of power down all through the range. Nice engine for sure.
rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Usable power is all important in off-road. Having torque low in the rev range that comes on smoothly is a huge advantage for getting over tricky jump sections.

A buddy of mine runs a WS7 III. It definitely screams down straightaways, but doesn't have enough grunt to get him over jump sections that have a short run up. As a result, his laptimes suffer.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Default Top Speed Shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyar15 View Post
Nicely produced video but thats all I can say about it.

As you state the variables are endless and the video accounts for only the most fundamental variables. Sorry to say, so few variables have been covered, the video feels more like a Sales tool...

There's an old racing adage that goes something like; "You make up time in the slow sections of a track, not the fast sections".

IMO, the video misses one of the MOST important qualities of an engine, driveability.

Lots of people will swear that the C6BB is one of the fastest engines out there. XRC did a review on it, and while it showed good numbers, it wasn't the best out there numbers-wise, yet it had very good drivability characteristics which made it fast on the track....
The video was meant to be a fun out-of-the-box look at how close most engines are, hence the name "Top Speed Shootout". Would numbers and curves in a magazine be more informative,... yes but that's just numbers. No fun!

Sales tool for selling all .21 motors.... maybe. The point is pick your motor and don't worry about numbers... just drive and have fun.

I've owned a C6bb and I loved the huge power, but for $120.00 more than another motor it just wasn't that much better. So now I've been running mid range motors and trying to concentrate on driving better. And yes you are right driveability is very important. Also TRUE "You make up time in the slow sections of a track, not the fast sections" if you read the comment at the end thats the point made in the video.

But hey,... thanks for the comments and I hope you liked the vid guys.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #27
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well I love the shootout vids...but to be proper you need to do them side by side.... Not to step in on this thread but I have video of a Modded Picco P7R duking it out with a Ninja 28.... both motors in Mugen MBX5T's... I even have overlayed dyno graphs showing these 2 motors power curves

I will appologize for the terrible video and sound quality... Photobucket butchers the videos pretty badly....

and here is the dyno graphs of the two motors inthe video

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Default Nice video!

Nice little vid....

How fast you think those things where going? Smokin...!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 AM   #29
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
Nice little vid....

How fast you think those things where going? Smokin...!
40 MPH maybe ?? I am really not too sure..
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacrash View Post
id put my money on the speed with the 2060 beating the rb though, saw a few of those at the novarossi gp and they were flying down the straight
The engines that won the Nova GP were Novarossi's though Then Neil Cragg running RB in third. The guys winning the winter series races there are RB or Novarossi. (Eliot Boots and Darren Bloomfield)

The point i would make against that is the OS hasn't taken off yet for real in the UK. In the dry on the astroturf the OS Speed is phenomenal on take off. Personally i have just gotten my first RB. I'm in the states at the moment and went for it rather than the OS based on my driving - the Speed would be too much for me right now - and the fact i will probably be at the Nova Raceway in the UK a lot where it is either too much grip or no grip, so i figure a smoother takeoff will be better - all based on my driving though.

The other point... at revs the straight is longer than most and top speed may gain you a second, but on most tracks you are not on a straight long enough... the biggest gain is always going to be bottom end and getting that power down.

Fun test though! Speed, an RB a Nova a Ninja would be fun to see run head to head.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote