Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC8 or Jammin x1x need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

what hinge pin issuses does the car have??? how much better is the jammin big bores than the associated shocks? if any
Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hinge pins apparently pop out of the braces under impact or heavy landings. Way to cure this is to just add a small shim between the little screw (that is meant to cover the hinge pin) and the hinge pin brace. Think AE have cured this in the latest kits... Also the braces have been bending apparently in some cases, i've had no such issues and mine is one of the early productions i think. I've had a number of heavy landings and no failures.

Chaz
Old 12-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Originally Posted by losiracer22
what hinge pin issuses does the car have??? how much better is the jammin big bores than the associated shocks? if any
I have heard of people installing 16mm jammin bb's on rc8's

Last edited by pwnzor; 12-25-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just sold my 2 RC8's. The car handles great but has durability issues. The hinge pins popping out gets very anoying, the diffs leak and its sloppy. I never had so many DNF's.

I had a Jammin and the new one looks great. I am thinking of getting the x1x myself. I might also just get bigbores for my Sp2.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Rc8

Get the RC8. Associated cant be beat.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The RC8 turns and handles well, but wear and tear is an issue. Also the chassis has a lot of flex, so much the clutch bell drags the chassis. This took out the engine bearings in one of my Novarossi's.

doubtful the clutchbell rubbing on the chassis for a split second took out your motor bearings.. do you realize what kind of stress the engine sees when your stomping down on it on the starter box so the wheel can grab the fly wheel
Old 12-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by infanterene
I just sold my 2 RC8's. The car handles great but has durability issues. The hinge pins popping out gets very anoying, the diffs leak and its sloppy. I never had so many DNF's.

I had a Jammin and the new one looks great. I am thinking of getting the x1x myself. I might also just get bigbores for my Sp2.
did you email ae. for the new b plates, new top plate and new hingpin capture screws ?
the b plates were too soft of a material and bent.. causing you to loose the hingepin. the screws were outta spec well some were...
email ae and they will send you the stuff so it doesnt fall apart free of charge
Old 12-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4
doubtful the clutchbell rubbing on the chassis for a split second took out your motor bearings.. do you realize what kind of stress the engine sees when your stomping down on it on the starter box so the wheel can grab the fly wheel
Rubbing for a moment, I don't think so! The CB had marks all around it and the chassis. Both the 16t & 17t CB. The starter box has rubber wheel, the chassis is metal, which do you think is more pounding it more?! Plus the CB sits father out on the crank, so it places more pressure force on the crank if the same force is applied. The CB bearings are done also. They made the CB bell wobble. I have never seen a CB wobble from bearings alone. I thought the CB was bent!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

did you email ae. for the new b plates, new top plate and new hingpin capture screws ?
the b plates were too soft of a material and bent.. causing you to loose the hingepin. the screws were outta spec well some were...
email ae and they will send you the stuff so it doesnt fall apart free of charge
What about upper arms that break too easy and the upper arm brace? My friend had to to change both upper arms as they broke during practice and qualifying. The cheesy clutch shoe shim placed behind the clutch shoes, that disappears and make the shoes hitch the flywheel? The front axles that bend if you stare at them too hard. The grub screw that backs out of the center shafts and bind them up?

Trust me, Infanterene has had many cars and I have seen him drive at the local tracks. He has never had to wrench as much or have so many DNF until he bought a RC8. The RC8 is fragile in comparison to the other buggies out there. Thats why he had 2, one built and one for parts. Sending and getting parts from AE still doesn't help when you DNF during a race for a simple part. Being the latest buggy out, this buggy needs more refinement in quality. Right off the bat, I saw things I would have changed. I guess Thunder Tiger needs to get a better R&D team.

Here is the list of updated RC8 parts:

"At Team Associated we strive to the maximum quality for our products.
During the initial production we decided at Team Associated that although parts were OK we could raise the quality of these parts.
During production the parts below are changed.

Part # Associated Part Description QTY Reason
BD5090 89025 arm (front upper L) 2 New material
BD5090-1 89025 arm (front upper R) 2 New material
BD5119 89025 arm (front lower R) 2 New material
BD5120 89025 arm (front lower L) 2 New material
BD5156 89012 steering rack (CF) 1 Better reliability
BC0887-F 89008 servo horn (throttle F) 2 Better ID marking
BC0887-A 89008 servo horn (throttle A) 2 Better ID marking
BC0887-H 89008 servo horn (throttle H) 2 Better ID marking
BC0897-J 89008 servo horn (throttle J) 2 Better ID marking
BD5113-L 89082 shock standoff 8 Better reliability
BD5116 89036 arm mount (B) 2 New material
BD5117 89038 arm mount (D-3) 2 New material
BD5029 89035 arm mount (A) 2 New material
BD5031 89037 arm mount (C) 2 New material
BD5049 89010 top plate (upper) 2 Better durability
BD5017 89017 swaybar mount 4 Better reliability

Replacement part bags are intended for customers who received a RC8 from the first shipments of Factory Team vehicles.
The replacement bags are available free of charge through Associtead worldwide agents to the customers that received a RC8FT out of the first shipment.
For most parts, the parts look identical to the ones being replaced."

Last edited by ezveedub; 12-25-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

I hope that post helps you make your decision^^^^^
Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by losiracer22

I can't speak for the AE car on these issues but i can tell you what i know about the Jammin.

The hinge pins on the buggy rarely get bent. The truggy is a different story, but still not bad. The hinge pins on the Jammin are captured as well, meaning the have a nut on them to keep them on. no E-clips, no tiny little screws to deal with, they don't fall off and they have a DEEEEP hex so you don't strip them out.

As for shocks, well the new Jammins are incredible. going from the old small bore shocks to these new 16 mm Super Big Bores was a major improvment for Jammin. you will feel the biggest difference in a truggy but they are deffinatly noticable in the buggy as well. you can come up to the face of a jump kinda out of square, hit the jump and all of a sudden it rights itself much easier. now i don't know why all this happens, as i am not a fluid dynamics engineer, but all i know is they work. And as a racer, thats all i need. The shocks also allow you to land out a whack and recover easily and quickly. Plush is the word i would use. they just soak up all the bumps and let you drive it harder!!!

hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Can't speak about the Jammin', but a buddy of mine has run (not bashed) his RC8 a handful of times and has experienced many of the same issues already outlined here; bent front axles, bent rear hingepin plate and corresponding broken gearbox locating pins, and sloppy front suspension. Replaced the front upper plate, ackerman bar, and rearmost hingepin plate with aftermarket parts before he ran it, so no problems there. Don't get me wrong, the car's silly-fast and jumps really well, but material revisions definitely need to be made...and AE really should've used 4mm screws to attach the hingepin plates (made of a better material in the rear) to the car.

But every car has teething problems. Now it's only a matter of when, not if, AE will fix them.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

I was going to make the change to AE rc8...........too many consistent problems for my interests........I am back to what I originally started with for 1/8 buggy this outdoor season, Jammin X1CR.....only other car I am thinking of checking out is O'donnell Z01B
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what is the actual email to ae or is there a certain contact there ? I do have one of the first releases and would like the updated parts.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what is the actual email or who is the contact

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.