R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Which Truck...?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/196724-truck.html)

CptMark 12-21-2007 01:02 PM

Which Truck...??

Hey folks......I'm just getting back into the whole r/c thing after 20 years or so, "santa" is has brought my 8yr old son a Traxxas Rustler and I cant stop playing with it DESPIT it not being X-mas yet. My question is: I would like to get myself a nitro powered truck/truggy and I'm not sure which I should go with. Team Associated, Losi, Hpi, Ofna THEN which model to choose. I would like to have something that moves and reverse would be nice too. I'm not going on looks alone (did that once with a woman....LONG STORY) but I'm looking for the pros and cons with the different companies before I dump $400-$500. THANKS in advance.

Mloclamau 12-21-2007 01:10 PM

Hi mate,

I own 2 HPI Savage Monster Trucks,

1 Hpi Savage X SS,
1 Hpi Savage 25.

I must say that HPI has really mastered the "durability" side of things, I haven't broken a single part.

Well, my brother has(he owns the savage 25..) a real car drove over his truck, luckily only $200 AUD worth of damage was done to it.

But if your looking to race, you might need to do a fair amount of work to get it race ready..

But if your looking just to get out, get some jumps done and keep your money in your pocket, the HPI Savage is the best way to go.

However, second choice is Tamiya TNX 5.2R i don't own one, but my mates own them, and say they are a bucket of fun to have.

Goodluck,
Rob.

Robert.Hull 12-21-2007 01:31 PM

Matrix TR
headrushhobbies.com ;)

crazy4wdracer 12-21-2007 03:22 PM

As said before savages are nice. Ofna has alot of good 1/8 scale buggies at good prices. Buggies like the OFNA Hyper 7 TQ Sport, Ultra LX One, and the Ultra LX Comp just to name a few, and they are all around $300 RTR. Are you looking to race or just bash in the backyard?

CptMark 12-21-2007 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.....I'm looking to tear up the back yard and piss off the neighbours, I live outside of Phila and have a pretty good size yard so I'm hoping to build a small track so that my son and I can have abit of fun and try to have some quality time with a hobby that I'm VERY excited to get back into.

pinky2252s 12-21-2007 04:40 PM

if your just bashing around, then definatly a savage

playboy 12-21-2007 06:03 PM

if u want a basher/racer go for the traxxis revo 3.3

cheers
good luck

Robert.Hull 12-21-2007 06:53 PM

i would go with the savage over revo that way you will spend less time wrenching and more time bashing;)

jslider 12-21-2007 08:31 PM

just a thought and this is because i have seen folks specnd $$$$$ on a thrasher and then find a local track and want to race so that they have that dedicated night or two a week to just have fun and be with others of same interest.

you might want to check the local hobby shops and ask if there are any tracks in the area and unless you are very lucky they may be a ways off, but find them and go check them out,

i know at our track we have folks come and watch and ask all the typical questions ie whats it cost, how often , what kind etc etc

good questions for you to ask are is there a novice class to get started in specially for the son as it can take a while for the young ones to understand the track rules and nicities and what are the common classes.

once you have gone out there a few times you can then make an informed decision on whether you want to bash or race, if bashing is your thing it will be lots of fun, but if you like the racing " which is the only way for me " then grab an entry level truck as those are the easies to drive and handle and go out with the mind set that you are gonna race pick a spot at the track and dont be afraid to ask questions of those around you, nice thing about this hobby is the people are the best i have met some truly good friends at the track.

and most important thing to remember if you decide to race remember one thing =======

only one person wins each race it is not that important to win the fact that you are there and running "is"

i run in last place on a pretty regular basis so i truly believe that but i wouldn't give up my race nights for anything

good luck and welcome back to the fold , and dont forget your wallet lol!

crazy4wdracer 12-22-2007 10:06 AM

You could also go with a thunder tiger st1. If you decide to race you won't need to buy another car. They are very durable and make great bashers too. They are on www.amainhobbies.com for $289 RTR.:tire:

CREWMAN 12-23-2007 10:10 AM

Monster Truck-LST2 if you plan on racing, Aftershock if you just want to bash in the backyard
Buggy- 8ightb
truggy- 8ightT

Hope it helps have fun.

glock19er 12-23-2007 12:44 PM

Losi LST 2

ManiacMagoo 12-23-2007 02:13 PM

Don't rule out the associated MGT. I have 2 and bash / race both of them. very easy in stock form to tune and keep tune. Motors last quite some time or you can do like I did and buy the LRP .28 Spec 3 and have a rocket from the get go. I haven't really broken mine besides the bodies lol

CptMark 12-24-2007 06:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the good info. Im looking foward to buying myself a new toy. Has anyone got any info on any HPI cars like the hellfire or any of the other Nitro's.

pwnzor 12-24-2007 08:05 AM

stay away from hellfire........waaaaaay too many problems