R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Ninja BO1A or V-spec. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/196704-ninja-bo1a-v-spec.html)

jpz_67 12-21-2007 09:38 AM

Ninja BO1A or V-spec.

Looking at buying a motor and its a coin toss right now on these two. I have had several v-specs and am very happy but I have been wanting to try one of the ninjas for quite some time now. How do the two compare as in power band, runtime, etc. I hear the ninja works good with a JP3. Any feedback ?

sickboy 12-21-2007 09:58 AM

I have both...both are real good. V-Spec is a little better, about 45 seconds longer run time and more bottom.
The Ninja is very solid also, I have a bunch pipes, the best one I tried was the cheap Ofna 053. I have the 2053 Ninja twist-lock ($135:weird:) and the 053 is better. Oh yeah, switch from a #7 to a #6 plug.
If you really want a bad-ass motor. Get the Ninja, send it to RB Mods and run a 086 pipe. Just as fast as a Speed and 10-11 minute run time. My buddy runs this and every time I pit for him, all I hear is "Jesus Christ, what motor is that Tristan guy running?".

22Racer 12-21-2007 09:44 PM

The Ninja will last twice as long if that helps.

Rex

SH 12-22-2007 02:04 AM

V specs like an oil content of no less than 12%, do this & they last & last.

To say one will out last the other is a total myth, like anything treat it well & it will treat you well.

there is a reason that the OS v-spec is one of the worlds biggest selling engines..it works & works well.

The ninja is a fine engine, but i doubt you will get the run time the V spec will.

the biggest factor you must take when coming to these forums & asking questions is that you will always get a well what i have now works best answer. No im not running a OS, infact i'm running a JP;)

johnkemp 12-22-2007 02:37 AM

get a ninja and be done with it

Shane Racer 12-22-2007 03:14 AM

+ 1 on the Ninja

Scott Fisher 12-22-2007 03:40 AM

OS MAX

hyper7vspec 12-22-2007 03:55 AM

The OS is a better motor in every way.

mremtr 12-22-2007 04:14 AM

Amost every OS at my track is running 9 plus minutes of run time , and a few are going over 11 ! :nod:

jpz_67 12-22-2007 11:45 AM

I appreciate the feedback but I have owned several v-specs and as I stated in my original post have been very satisfied with the motor. What I was hoping for was feedback from someone who has owned both motors for an honest and fair comparison. I know what to expect out of the OS but not the Ninja. I have always wanted to try one of the ninjas since they came out but just never have in fear of it being a crap motor, but I really don think that would be the case.

ehartman_49348 12-22-2007 12:33 PM

+1 on the Ninja.

I just got my Ninja completely rebuild and was running against several V-Specs yesterday (with JP1) and it was just as strong if not stronger both from the bottom and definitely the top end. If you race on a lot of 'real' 8th scale tracks where speed comes into play, I don't think there is an engine that can beat the Ninja, as it will keep on rev-ing. The Ninja definitely likes the JP3 pipe as well.

I do have to admit that I have never owned a V-Spec and if I didn't have the Ninja already, I might have gone that way myself. The ones I have seen at the track do run extremely well and seem to be easier to tune and even run will if not tuned perfectly. The Ninja is a little more sensitive to tuning...

Megacrash 12-22-2007 01:16 PM

Owned Both,

Currently running the v spec because i have it mated to a fironi sliding clutch and its soooo smooth which for me is very important also have it matched to an os 2060 pipe and its superb run times of nearly 8. mins in the buggy and its running on the fat side.

Its a fantastic motor and in blighty its cheaper than the ninja as well not by much about £40 ($75-80)

its also very easy to tune and so so reliable never had a flameout in a race with it that could be blamed on the engine, its cut once due to my pitmans superb refill technique lol plugs last forever. Its also got enough bottom to clear our wooop section (i run a mbx5r) with ease and more than enough top just keeps getting faster on nearly its 4th gallon

The Ninja was fantastic as well i used it solidly for over a year and swore by it until i tried the v spec you cant go wrong with either but for me the v spec edges it due to its power delivery, run times and ease of use

Either will make you smile:nod:

Nitro syco 12-22-2007 10:22 PM

Ninja with a Dynamite 053 pipe is an awesome setup. and you can get the dynamite pipe in hardcoat version for $55 I had one and I loved it, then I wanted to try something else so I went over to a P5XS and had bad luck and I just got another Ninja.

jpz_67 12-22-2007 10:43 PM

From what I have been reading it seems as if the JP3 and an 053 pipe are the way to go. I just happen to have both. The decision is getting closer cause I would need to get a 2050 if I go with a V-spec.......;)

Loop&Roll 12-22-2007 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by hyper7vspec (Post 3997485)
The OS is a better motor in every way.

Ummm, no offence mate but have u even owned a Ninja... post like that with no comment!!! I suppose u think the OS is the obsolute best, bar none, PERIOD!!!!

put a smiley in there if u r joking!!!