R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Clutch Questions

Guys,

I've totalled my clutch shoes in my Matrix TR and I need some help. I'm hoping you can answer some questions for me:

* Whats the difference between shorter and longer clutch springs (gold/black etc)?

* Whats the operating difference is there between the carbon and the Aluminum clutch shoes (faster or harder engage etc)?

* You can get more or less teeth on the bell housing, what do more or teeth do?

* Are the clutches, the shoes, springs and the bell housings universal?

* Is there any maintenance that has to be done on the bell housing. Mine isn't really smooth inside after the clutch shoes busted in half. I'm wondering if it needs to be grinded smooth with a dremel or someting?

* I read somewhere that you shouldn't go between Aluminium and Carbon shoes on the same bell housing because of a coating that the carbon deposits on the inside of the bell housing?

* A lot of people seem to use 2 springs of one type, and one spring of another type. This makes sense more or less, in that one shoe engages quicker than the others, is this the reason, is there anything else to it?

I think thats about it for now. I know its a lot of questions, but you guys are really on the ball and have been fantastic in the help department so far.

Jase
Thorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

I'm not sure about the springs on your ride.

Alum shoes do not slip like carbons do. The more traction you have the more you can go towards a hard hitting setup with alum shoes. The less traction you have the more you stay with carbons to make your ride easier to drive.

More teeth on the clutch bell give more top end and less torque.

No. They are not made the same. Some will cross over to other brands while others will not.

Clean it up with a wire wheel and you will get a more consistant clutch action.

You should not go between the two if you expect alums to grab at their hardest or carbons to slip the way they are supposed to. Keep in mind a lot of us run hybrid clutches that combine the two.

Combining springs is just tuning. In general, the sooner you engage the clutch (light springs) you will be less likely to see tire spin. If you let the motor wrap up into its max powerband before the clutch engages (heavy springs), the more acceleration you will have, provided you can put the power to the ground.

Hope this helps,
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thankz for the info i will use these metheds on my buggy