R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Couple of quick losi 8ight set-up questions

Hello all,
I have a few questions about my 8ight's set-up. First off my front wheels are unloading like crazy and ballon wayyyyy more than my rears. What differential oil should I change to, to fix this and make my car a little less drifty I guess you could call it. I currently run 5-7-2. Next its about time to replace the bearings in my 8ight because they are causing a lot of slop. Are the Xtreme Racing ABEC-5 Ceramic Bearings good? I am having a little trouble with my steering rods popping off, (I just bought new rod ends) is there a fix for this? Lastly, I can not clear the triple at my track and I think it is my suspension because I hit it perfect, but I still can't clear the sucker. Should I give it another round of pre-load? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
lanerbrainer205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I think this has been addressed in the other thread... however...

This is counter-intuitive... but... going down in center diff fluid will make the car less aggressive. I run 5-5-3 or 5-5-2, depending. That makes the car pretty friendly. I've driven one with 5-7-2, it was a bit edgier and harder to drive, BUT, with a good driver it is probably faster. I would suggest 5-5-3 as a good starting point on the 8ight.

To keep the rod ends from popping off you can put a conical washer (small side toward the rod end) to "capture" them. Easy fix. However, if you are popping rod ends off, you're probably hitting stuff... the next weakest link will then be the thing that lets go... probably still the rod end, but breaking instead of popping off.

As for not clearing the triple... well, it COULD be your ride height is too low, and you're scraping the chassis over the jump... but I would say it is more likely related to the first thing you said. If you are spinning the tires, you aren't accelerating efficiently. Going up to 3 in the rear in diff fluid will help a little, but the biggest difference is learning to roll into the throttle instead of treating it like an on/off switch. I know, because I have that very same problem! Set your ride height to the factory recommendations and it will be good for all but the most extreme tracks.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the help! I am sorry for the late reply my internet went out for a while... I fixed the problem by resetting my ride height and making my engine even faster by porting, polishing, and lightening the inside. I bored out the carb A LOT. This thing SCREAMS! The reason I wasn't getting any traction was because my tire compound was to hard, so I switched to M3 and bam, it is sticking like glue now!
lanerbrainer205 is offline   Reply With Quote