Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric`s racing with Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Legend

Default Electric`s racing with Nitro

Interested in hearing some opinion`s about blending Electric`s with Nitro...

Would you be Ok with electric 1/8th racing together
with the Nitro 1/8th class ?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I do not see why not bceause if you are good then you can win with nitro but at our track people got pissed that they ran with us and most did not come back..all in all rc is for fun and I do not see why people would get mad
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I race my brushless truggy with gas truggies nearly every week, nobody at my track really has a problem with it. They are starting to do this at more and more tracks because brushless 1/8th scales are becoming more and more popular. In the long run brushless/lipo is much cheaper than nitros too. You have to buy nitro fuel all the time but you do not need to buy lipo packs all the time.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would say it depends on the rules set that equal the playing field between the 2.

I would say that the electrics need to conform to the following:

1. Vehicle must meet nitro minimum weight requirements if any
2. Driver must perform simulated pit stops and / or have time added to his stats to simulate this

I think those two are really the big ones out there that need to be addressed. Ultimately, as the class grows it may split off, or, you could track times different between the two with software as that is possible.

Heck, I have already advised others that I am more than happy not to count for a thing, I just want to run thats all. I think being open like that could help others get interested as well as I love the scale of 1/8 scale nitro vehicles and how they perform, but tuning nitro engines just isn't for me.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just keep them in separate classes, but allow them both to run at a given event. The power delivery characteristics are very different, so trying to even them out would be more of a pain than it's worth.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Smile

I have to agree with skar its called nitro buggy because its nitro and it requires all aspects of racing including the nitro engine basics.why not just learn these and enjoy all aspects of racing rc nitro vehicles.The learning can be frustrating and enjoyable.For these you spend more time than the racing part.Acual racing time is very limited.Just my opion.Lance
Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

All I know is that in my club, some yahoo marshal would probably yank it off the track thinking it stalled out

45 minute main would be interesting with an electric. Those pitstops would be a pain in the butt I would think.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Interested in hearing some opinion`s about blending Electric`s with Nitro...

Would you be Ok with electric 1/8th racing together
with the Nitro 1/8th class ?
I don't think too many people would mind it. Every once in a while you'll see a 1/10th electric running in the gas truck class and no one seems to mind that. The only time it would bother me was if they started changing the rules to accomodate the electric car. Like running a shorter main for example. That would make me mad.

I'd really like to see more 1/8th electrics. So far I have yet to see one at the track. I'd actually like to see how they fair against their nitro counterparts in an actual race.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

i don't think it would be fair just because of the smoothness of the esc versus the engine, they would have a big advantage out of corners and how would they pit i know ever one said make them stop but how many guys you know are going to actually stop for the same mount of time a nitro would i know it doesnt take but a few seconds to pit and what about a car loading up and glow plugs fowling out an electric wouldn't have those problems i say let electric race electric and nitro race nitro.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Right now we have a driver (Nitro Syco with a BL Xray XB8 EC) who runs his electric buggy with our nitros. We have a 20 min main and no one cares that he doesn't have to pit, or sometimes has to pit once. Its club racing, we competing for fun only. Also, being that an electric motor has almost full torque in the beginning, it makes it harder to control, and there is no clutch to smooth out the power delivery and let the transmission slip to gain traction under speed like our nitros do.

You don't make engines with 10+ minutes of run time pit more than guys that barely get 7mins do you? Its just the nature of our nitro sport, pit as few times as possible. If members of your club become upset, remind them this is a hobby....FOR FUN. Clubs usually need more members, our philosophy is not to turn ANYONE away, as long as you follow our safety and etiquette rules.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

I attended a small town 125 year celebration where there was an offroad rc car race they had electric and nitro rc cars and trucks.What I noticed most was the crowd watching sure became larger and seemed more interested when the nitro cars were running.I personally love the noise and smell they make.Lance
Old 12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lance
I attended a small town 125 year celebration where there was an offroad rc car race they had electric and nitro rc cars and trucks.What I noticed most was the crowd watching sure became larger and seemed more interested when the nitro cars were running.I personally love the noise and smell they make.Lance
lance i agree people really like to watch the nitro cars run...

my feelings as a race director is that its ok to run 1/8 electrics with 1/8 nitro as long as there is pit stops being made by the electric drivers in any race longer than 10 minutes...now if there ends up that the electrics dominate over the nitros i will adjust accordingly, but i doent see that it will be a problem...now as a racer i say bring on the electrics, YOU DO NOT SCARE ME!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I look forward to running EP 1/8th scales in the future. No more clutches, fuel systems, carb tuning or glow plugs to deal with!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SkarTisu
I look forward to running EP 1/8th scales in the future. No more clutches, fuel systems, carb tuning or glow plugs to deal with!
thats the fun of it all...
Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
lance i agree people really like to watch the nitro cars run...

my feelings as a race director is that its ok to run 1/8 electrics with 1/8 nitro as long as there is pit stops being made by the electric drivers in any race longer than 10 minutes...now if there ends up that the electrics dominate over the nitros i will adjust accordingly, but i doent see that it will be a problem...now as a racer i say bring on the electrics, YOU DO NOT SCARE ME!!!!!!
JASON YOU CRACK ME UP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.