R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Excellent explanation about the machinery and its limitations....
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #47
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well I was just talking with my brother..who is a professional engine machinist . he does believe a 5 Axis could maybe cut the port shapes...but he said it definitely wouldn't be easy or practical to do.....

either way not all of us dremel jockeys are hacks, i think my work is very clean for being hand done
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #48
Tech Master

Wow this thread is interesting !

I can see there are a lot of people that have been burned by bad engine mods etc.. Its a shame because it can spoil it for the ones that can and do do a good job. I guess if engine mods didnt make a considerable difference when done correctly then there wouldnt be a need for engine modders.. But the truth is it is a striving business with a very real place in RC.

Regarding the RBC6BB ... i wouldnt mod it .. its a powerhouse engine as is..

Regarding engine mods , unless i have been fluking it for the last 4 years , actually work . And yes every modder has a different approach to how they achieve a difference in engine performance and i guess thats the charisma of choice. I guess if they all did it the same way then it would be pretty boring
Regarding sleeve cuts ... The common mis conception is that the cuts make the performance difference .. What they actually do is help fuel flow or guide fuel into the chamber.. They are also used to create turbulence which helps create power but id say they only make up 5 to 10 % of the over all difference if done correctly .

As mentioned port timing changes is where the benefit really comes from . And changing one takes away from the other... thats just dribble .. if you change a port time the right way to work with the other port timings all you get is gain , no losses at all . And to say all you need is a polish and balance ... More dribble from second hand information thats based on no real experience. No offence intended

The only time an engine mod takes away from the life of the engine is when the power created exceeds the material quality of the engine.

Who runs modified engines and wins ?

Just off the top of my head

The Jovanovics here in Australia used Murnan Modified engine and they win all the time. lamberto Collari , Yannick , Mark Pavidis... etc etc

Ive had 2 of my modified engines place 2nd in A main State title events one of which set a track record fastest lap.. Is that the engine ? no its the driver that had the win. But Modified engines run in racing wether we know it or not and they help win. These were modified .21 engines up against .28 size engines in Truggy Class ..

Interesting question but every top end sponsored racer gets factory engines that are tricked up to give its best performance. Lamberto Collari is 8 time world champion in on road 1/8 .. Do you think he runs a stock engine ? Nope ! try keeping up with him with a stocker..

With my business racers only make up about 10% of my work.. the rest are all recreational users that want to get more out of an engine..

I Have to agree with Maximo on a lot of points . Dremell is the best way to mod an engine . Done well , by hand.

Cheers MM
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com

Last edited by MassiveMods; 12-19-2007 at 09:57 PM.
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Is this massive mods talking .For god sake you have been writing on these forums for many years and this is the first time i have to agree with you in your statement except for the statement about the Jovanovics im not there and i don't see what they are doing so i have no proof of your statement .iv'e heard but never seen and hearing something is totally different to seeing so i can't comment.

keep up the good work and the serious talk and then someone might take you seriously for once and you will probably become a big player in this business what you always wanted.

Man you have come a long way and learn't alot in your time.
This can't be massive mods it's an imposter for sure.

Last edited by COBRARACING; 12-19-2007 at 01:56 PM.
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods View Post
Wow this thread is interesting !

I can see there are a lot of people that have been burned by bad engine mods etc.. Its a shame because it can spoil it for the ones that can and do do a good job. I guess if engine mods didnt make a considerable difference when done correctly then there wouldnt be a need for engine modders.. But the truth is it is a striving business with a very real place in RC.

Regarding the RBC6BB ... i wouldnt mod it .. its a powerhouse engine as is..

Regarding engine mods , unless i have been fluking it for the last 4 years , actually work . And yes every modder has a different approach to how they achieve a difference in engine performance and i guess thats the charisma of choice. I guess if they all did it the same way then it would be pretty boring
Regarding sleeve cuts ... The common mis conception is that the cuts make the performance difference .. What they actually do is help fuel flow or guide fuel into the chamber.. They are also used to create turbulence which helps create power but id say they only make up 5 to 10 % of the over all difference if done correctly .

As mentioned port timing changes is where the benefit really comes from . And changing one takes away from the other... thats just dribble .. if you change a port time the right way to work with the other port timings all you get is gain , no losses at all . And to say all you need is a polish and balance ... More dribble from second hand information thats based on no real experience. No offence intended

The only time an engine mod takes away from the life of the engine is when the power created exceeds the material quality of the engine.

Who runs modified engines and wins ?

Just off the top of my head

The Jovanovics here in Australia use Murnan Modified engine and they win all the time. lamberto Collari , Yannick , Mark Pavidis... etc etc

Ive had 2 of my modified engines place 2nd in A main State title events one of which set a track record fastest lap.. Is that the engine ? no its the driver that had the win. But Modified engines run in racing wether we know it or not and they help win. These were modified .21 engines up against .28 size engines in Truggy Class ..

Interesting question but every top end sponsored racer gets factory engines that are tricked up to give its best performance. Lamberto Collari is 8 time world champion in on road 1/8 .. Do you think he runs a stock engine ? Nope ! try keeping up with him with a stocker..

With my business racers only make up about 10% of my work.. the rest are all recreational users that want to get more out of an engine..

I Have to agree with Maximo on a lot of points . Dremell is the best way to mod an engine . Done well , by hand.

Cheers MM

I bet those guys would still have won with a stock engine, especially off-road its not all about power.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #51
Tech Master

well theres only one way to find out . But the point is not wether they can win with a modded engine or not the point is that they do run with modified engines.

I guess generally speaking what serious racer runs without wanting the most out of their engine ?

When you set up a car to win you dont use average products .. You use high performance ones . Some of which can be modified to get more out of their performance .

And i totally agree that a fast engine dosent always give you an advantage , sometimes it works against you but if you are capable then it will make a positive difference.
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
Old 12-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Is this massive mods talking .For god sake you have been writing on these forums for many years and this is the first time i have to agree with you in your statement except for the statement about the Jovanovics im not there and i don't see what they are doing so i have no proof of your statement .iv'e heard but never seen and hearing something is totally different to seeing so i can't comment.

keep up the good work and the serious talk and then someone might take you seriously for once and you will probably become a big player in this business what you always wanted.

you are giving advise on being taken seriously ... lol now thats funny

hows your factory in China ?
Half ownership of Himoto ?
Your factory in Japan ?
Your Aeronautical engineering career ?

i rest my case

please leave the forums for people who want to learn about RC as opposed to writing mindless dribble.

Have a Massive X Mas
Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 AM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post

Keep editing those post's u GERM

whats the go no more threats???? Must have got sick of getting roasted
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #54
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tmperformance1

nothing like watching or in this case reading a pissin' contest with a bunch of ego maniacs. too bad i'm one of them.
massive, what makes murnans onroad motors so desirable?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #55
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmperformance1 View Post
nothing like watching or in this case reading a pissin' contest with a bunch of ego maniacs. too bad i'm one of them.

they almost make as much power as one of my motors ?
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmperformance1 View Post
Lol i love the roast fest , its a bit of entertainment for the day .

Re Murnan

You would have to ask someone that owns one , it would'nt be fair to comment on something i have'nt tried. But he is popular and has won many top end events so theres something good going on there id say. As far as going into what or how he makes his engines desirable , thats not my call either. You will have to ask him. He goes by the name of Grinder . Or get onto his site www.murnanmodified.com theres heaps of info and cool pics to see there.

Hope that helps
Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #57
Tech Regular

im thinking of getting a 21 off road motor from rb mods can anyone recomend a motor from him
Old 12-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #58
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I don't know if he mods any more... but I had an OS CV done by Steve Odonnell from Odonnell Racing some time ago... it was awsome... super smooth power band, and great top end not to mention fuel efficiency...
gtxpro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdog View Post
im thinking of getting a 21 off road motor from rb mods can anyone recomend a motor from him
Yeah Rick Brake is alive and kicking !

http://www.rbmods.net/home.php

I saw one of his RB's run about 4 years ago .. it was scarry !
Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdog View Post
I have only witnessed a Ninja modded by RB......retarded fast and 10+ minutes run time. Easily as fast as a Speed, maybe faster.
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote