R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel View Post
Uh... Here's where I disagree with DOMIT, if I'm interpreting his statement correctly (We may be saying the essentially the same thing, just differently)

The Hyper ST is a great truck. It is very competitive. The components coming with it to form the RTR Hyper ST package are probably mediocre at best. I'm not sure about the MacStar engines, they may be OK, but it is still an RTR engine. Same for the electronics. Servos may be OK, but I've not heard anything about them.

The truck itself is a competitive and capable platform. Just not a lot of Factory Ho Bao drivers running them in the US right now, so you don't hear about them so much. For bashing and an occasional race, it may still be overkill. This would be a better than average bashing package, IMO... Parts are durable and cheap...

I think those Kyosho packages on Ebay are pretty good deals if the prices don't escalate too much. Didn't look at all of them, though. Jammin' truggies are good rigs too! In fact, there aren't too many 'bad' truggies out there these days, as all of them have their positives.
Yup... We're saying the same thing differently. If you absolutely HAVE to get an RTR, that one is a decent choice. Engine and servos... well... those are items that wear out anyway. Just expect less performance and life from the ones in the RTR vehicles. It's also priced semi competitively with the low end stuff out there, which are all pretty much junk. That one is a decent platform priced like the junkers.

It is interesting that those are sold as "OFNA" brand in the US. Hyper-anything is decent. 9.5 based buggies/truggies, like the "Mutilator" also sold as "OFNA," are absolute CRAP. It's funny though, the Jammin is a great platform, and it is based on the 9.5... but MUCH upgraded.

Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, Hyper, Jammin are all good. If you can get a truggy of one of those models, you're in good shape. I'm sure there are others that would be good also, but those are the ones I'm familiar with.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
Tech Adept

ttr st1 rtr a nice truggy for 289 at a-main hobbies, all you need if you want to upgrade later is a radio and at hobby people they have limited stock though the airtronics synthesized for 119. here is mine with a few mods and big bore shocks (aftershock shocks )

jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for all the info guys. He told me for two weeks that he wanted a truggy. Well, he went and bought a Sportwerks mayhem buggy. I have seen pics of it and it looks brand new. The guy that sold it to him said that it was new from end to end except for the engine (OS 30) which has 1/2 gallon of Byrons on it.

It also come with 2 set of new Proline tires and dish wheels. He said he paid $350.00 for it. Almost forgot, it came with a new body, extra aluminum shock towers and some extra front/rear a-arms. Do you think he got a good deal? I don't know much about Sportwerks brand but I told him it seemed like a good deal. Once again, thanks for the help.
glock19er is offline   Reply With Quote